• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

C&C: A Lion in the Ropes

howandwhy99

Adventurer
"Well, we do have quite a mystery here. Why would the creature be dropping its victims in a pattern leading to the south? Perhaps it really isn't in Flytrap Ridge, but within the Gnarley wood instead? It is awfully peculiar behavior. Except poor Master Adleton's death does not fall in line with this thinking. We may have need to entertain the possibility of another cause for his death. I know he is a cleric of the faith, but did he have any enemies?; someone who wished him ill?"

"Oh. And what were your names? It would be good to know in case we need your very profitable help again."

Last edited:

Kuld

Explorer
“Aye, ye both have been of much help. When the need arises, we’d be honored if ye lend us yer swords as well as yer tongues.” Norgim says as he extends his hand in gratitude. “Many thanks to ye good sirs and let yer gods bless ye and yer own.”

Sado

First Post
Yondo

"Thank you, friends," Yondo nods appreciatively to the sergeants.

To his companions, 'My thoughts are still to go first to Tres and learn what we may, and then, in the absence of any information that suggests otherwise, have one of us pose as a lone traveller to lure this creature out.

"Let us also see what James has found as soon as we may."

driver8

First Post
howandwhy99 said:
"Well, we do have quite a mystery here. ..
"Oh. And what were your names? It would be good to know in case we need your very profitable help again."

The tall sergeant bows, first at Norgims words then to Fatcoin. "I am Argus, sar, and this," he says pointing to the mustached sergeant, " is Vallan."

"As far as I know, tha good Master Adleton was liked by all." Argus continues. "He'd been here for almost 10 years, running the church's library and such. All the townfolk knew im. He was respected..even the Abbey of Teymouth once came to celebrate the harvest festival with im."

mps42 said:
Vergat ponders for a moment... "Even though I have seen much that is otherworldly, I am by nature, practical minded.
"I am much more inclined to believe that the killer we seek is of this mortal coil. That being the case, it would need food, which it seems to be getting; water, which would not seem to be available on flytrap ridge but nearer the river; and shelter. Tell me, good constable, are there any caves or sheltered areas near the river where a large animal might hide?"

Argus shakes his head. "None I can think of sar. Flytrap's got quite a few- some tiny some big. Butn tha rivers wide and tha land round it flat. A few bits of wood near it in places; I guess a beast could hide if it needed, but none in tha way of caves tho."

mps42

First Post
Frustrated, Vergart paces back and forth muttering to himself for a few moments. Then "Well, I'm at a loss. What say the rest of you?"

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Where were these folk who saw the beast?" asks Colm. "Alas, the memory sometimes fails even the servants of the gods. At any rate, perhaps we should speak with these folk." He muses silently for a moment. "A circus, you say? Would you happen to recall the name of said circus?" To the others, "Friend Telion told me that the troupe witrh which we were travelling once had a small menagerie, but it was lost. Perhaps there lies the origins of our Beast?"

driver8

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
"Where were these folk who saw the beast?" asks Colm. "Alas, the memory sometimes fails even the servants of the gods. At any rate, perhaps we should speak with these folk." He muses silently for a moment. "A circus, you say? Would you happen to recall the name of said circus?" To the others, "Friend Telion told me that the troupe witrh which we were travelling once had a small menagerie, but it was lost. Perhaps there lies the origins of our Beast?"

Argus thinks for a moment. "Fever's circus or whatnot, I think sar."

howandwhy99

Adventurer
driver8 said:
Argus thinks for a moment. "Fever's circus or whatnot, I think sar."

"Ah yes... That sounds much more plausible. Perhaps the circus lost a lion or bear and now it is terrorizing the countryside and eating people left and right. Only it doesn't fit why there would be no tracks on the ground. Still... It is a good start. Why don't we go and speak with some of the witness and maybe we could puzzle out more. If it is a demon, another solution will likely be needed."

driver8

First Post
Argus bows, a quizzical look on his face at Colm's remark. "If yan dont be needin us sar, we should be about our duties." The sergeants turn to leave, as Brother Martin steps forward.

"I should return to the church sirs. Is there anything you need of me?" Martin pauses. "Im sure you can find the folk of Tres open to any questions if you need to go there. Im sure rumor of your arrival has spread."

"Feel free to call upon me for anything. I hope that St. Cuthbert guides you if you foray out into the wild. For the sake of these poor villagers, I hope you have success."

With a bow , Brother Martin turns and heads down the road to the south.

OOC:Balls in your court.

Remove ads