C&C: Lion in Ropes (party 2-James)

driver8

First Post
OOC there are dodge and evade options,but no real options to fight defesnsively.

James charges Bailey and attempts to trip the elf. With a smile, the female sidesteps the attack.

"You should know your foe better before you attack him, boy." she growls. "Who knows what gear I have accumulated in my travels, hmm? What tricks Ive learned?"

With her bow still in her left hand, she swings her right fist at James face. It connects with surprising force, impacting on the woodsman's chin. (5 points subdual damage)

Initiative
James
Bailey

scout989

First Post
James Ferdinand III

James shakes off the blow with only a little difficulty. Since he does not want to escalate their contest, he only makes a feint with the axe, then attempts a short, sharp uppercut to the chin, hoping to stagger her a little.

driver8

First Post
Bailey reads the woodsman's feint and avoids the uppercut.

The elf laughs grimly, shaking her head. "Ahh boy full of surprises I see! But you hack too roughly with your axe and you lead your punch too much."

Taking a step back she tucks her right hand into the shoulder hole of her armor. With her arm tucked in that position she takes a step back.

"I must admire your honor at least in not using the axe, boy. Showed some intelligence, perhaps. However, I cannot linger here all morning. So I wont counter attack. Please, attempt to strike me again if you can and see if you can end this. I grow a little tired and must be off."

Initiative
James
Bailey

scout989

First Post
James Ferdinand III

James, breathing a bit heavily by now, decides that if he has only one more chance, he better make it a good one. He figures that, with one less arm than he, she would be at a disadvantage when it comes to wrestling, so he attempts to grab her and wrestle her to the ground.

ooc: Rule 0: you can't win any fight your DM doesn't want you to win... ;)

driver8

First Post
James reaches in an attempt to grapple the elf to the ground, but Bailey again deftly avoids the attack.

In a flash, the ranger pulls her hand from beneath her armor. Shifting to her left she steps back from James and flings her right fist toward the woodsman.

Instead of a blow however, James can see there is something in her hand. Baileys fist opens.

From the open hand, a shiny sliver cloud of dust fills the air around James. The woodsman tries to avoid it, but feels the fine grains of the cloud on his face and in his nostrils.

A weariness quickly overcomes James; his vision shrinks to a small tunnel srrounded by blackness. The man feels himself reeling, and as the inky black engulfs him, the last thing he see is the floor rising up to meet him.

When James awakes, he feels cold and disoriented. From his point of view he realizes he is on his back, on the cold stone of the church floor gazing up at its vaulted ceiling.

A face comes into view; the face of a man dressed in an acloytes robe. A little older and more heavy set than Martin, he shares the same shaved head. His face is round, with a kindly expression.

Behind him, James can see the barkeep looking down with concern. He leans against his broom, holding a metal flask in his free hand.

"Ahh youve awoken." The acolyte says smiling."I was unsure how long the effects of the elvendust would last. But I think you'll bear no ill effects. But get up slowly, in case your still disorieted."

The barkeep shakes his head. "I tried to warn you friend, remember that. Bailey can be hot tempered... although I must admit, I never saw her actually attack anyone in the village before."

The young man extends the flask to you. "Name's Marlowe by the way. Not the best way to start the day I suppose, but welcome to Capendu."

OOC: Hey did I pull an axe on an obviously ticked off npc of indeterminate power? :) And I would never make it a fight you cant win, just some opponents are too powerful. :]

scout989

First Post
James Ferdinand III

James replies "No, it was no contest, she beat me fair and square. Though I did not know that she was more experienced than I, that is no excuse for me to make a fool of myself. I am still determined to help the humble folk of this village, it is now obvious that I must try a different track."
ooc: I didn't mean that you were trying to eff me over. I only meant that I realized that this NPC was one against whom I could not possibly win. However, it is not in James' nature to let something like this go. He had to have it out to the end. If anything, I applaud you for letting the NPC be kind enough to let my character live. But the fact remains that James will not soon forget that he has had his rear end torn apart by this npc. As such, he is now setting off to discover what is going on the the Gnarley Woods (and you should feel quite free to ignore what he does for a little bit here, because he's mostly a little bit [ok quite a bit] raw about being beaten down for the first time). But anyway, James now wanders into the Gnarley Woods, specifically not trying to run into any other rangers or other forest folk, just checking things out for himself.

Last edited:

scout989

First Post
James Ferdinand III

James leaves town, after thanking the barkeep and the acolyte for their help and advice. He heads towards the Gnarley Woods, fuming as he goes. He is looking for any tracks that could be between the Woods and any of the towns around there. However, he is more than a little distracted as he replays in his head the defeat that he just suffered. <How? How was I beaten by someone so small? She looked like she barely had to try!> Shame and anger war in his head, and for the moment, anger wins out. James swings his axe wildly from time to time, looking for something to prove himself upon. But as long as nothing presents itself, he just heads deeper into the Gnarley Woods, hoping to run into a few goblins. <Oh, what I would do to them if I saw them!>

driver8

First Post
OOC before James leaves, and if you want to reply feel free before James leaves..Also which direction did James go, as the forest sort of stretches east of town and also to the south.A general direction is helpful..east, northeast , etc..

Marlowe takes a pull from the metal flask, and shakes his head. "No shame in being beaten by Bailey friend. Shes been around the woods prolly since before your grandparents were born. She tough no doubt. She has no great love of humans, and her meeting with his Lordship most likely just topped off her temper, Id wager. Her and his Lordship got a history so to speak, if you catch my meaning."COLOR] Marlowe looks down at the floor for a bit, blushing.

"But shes good at heart mostly, as elves go." he says looking back at you.

"And I appreciate you work on the village's behalf. Why already theres buzz amongst the folk. So dont be letting Bailey put a damper on you, no indeed!"

scout989

First Post
James Ferdinand III

OOC: We'll see if the conversation changes James' mind- or his attitude :\
IC:
James' ears prick a bit at Marlowe's words. "Her meeting with the lordship? What on earth could he say that would put her in such a bad mood, I wonder?" James pushes his irritation from his mind as he attempts to understand why Bailey was upset.

driver8

First Post
"Well," Marlowe begins, looking around conspiratorially, "you see, from what I gather Bailey came to warn his Lordship of this bandit business. His Lordship is preoccupied with the Fiend and paid not enough attention in Baileys eyes. Bailey has little patience with humans so her anger was easy to get going, if you follow."

Marlowe takes another drink. "Of course it didnt help matters that Bailey was in love with his Lordship some 70 years back or so. I think the fact that his Lordship has become so enfeebled has made Bailey greatly bitter over the years, and she tends to take it out on we locals. Though not as violently as she did on you. " Marlowe smiles.

"Ahh but shes not so bad. She watches out for us when she can, though the safety of the forest is her first real duty and cause."

Remove ads