• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

California game shops

dcampbez

Explorer
So; in a week, I will be in California for a driving trip... My wife and two kids will be in Crescent City and taking a week to drive down the coast to LA for a second week in a beach house with more family.

Along with all the other sight-seeing, are there any must-not-miss hobby shops along way? Any "meccas of gaming" that I will regret for the rest of my life if I miss?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
If you are in Oakland, CA, I would suggest going to Endgame.

They are strong supporters of indy games, and are often the first in North America to carry new products that don't come form one of the two or three big companies: there are many small game designers who are grateful to Chris Hanrahan and the people he works with there.

Wycen

Explorer
Endgame may be out of your way, and the other place I was going to recommend being Black Diamond Games. Both require detours across the SF Bay into the East Bay.

In SF itself I would say Gamescape. I haven't been inside for some years, so maybe it has changed, but I'd assume another poster can update that.

There is another Gamescape in San Rafael, not the same owners anymore.

grodog

Hero
In addition, Game Kastle in the South Bay is worth the trip, too: a wide selection of indy RPGs, as well as good board games, minis (including htf in the States minis like Hasselfree and Otherworld), etc.

It's pretty much the successor to the Mountain View Gamescape, IMO; web site @ Game Kastle - Hobby Games & Collectibles

Also worth checking out, but not as broadly-focused (or as large a location) is Gator Games in San Mateo @ Gator Games Online

Steel_Wind

Legend
Black Diamond Games in Concord, owned and operated by Gary Ray, a well known blogger who has presented seminars on Game retailing at GAMA and whose blog is closely followed by a lot of publishers, distributors and other retailers in the biz. Gary is also a regular guest on our podcast.

If you are a Pathfinder fan, Black Diamond has the largest retail Pathfinder shelf in the hobby games business. Even Paizo staff who visit the Bay area sneak away to visit Black Diamond and remark that they even they don't see as much of their own product on sale at retail all at once -- and that includes Paizo's own booth at Gencon.

And to be fair, Black Diamond Games also carries a lot of 3rd party Pathfinder stuff you don't normally see in stores, either. Gary will deal directly with publishers to ensure that products are on the shelf that don't have a distributor at all.

Gary carries lots of other products as well of course. IFyou are a 4E fan - Black Diamond aims to carry everything available for the game that is published by WotC, and as much product for earlier editions as he can as well. Simply put, it's a full service game store.

Well worth the trip.

Last edited:

kitsune9

Adventurer
If you're going by San Luis Obispo, I would recommend Cheap Thrills on Higuera Street. I live just over 3 hours drive from SLO, but whenever the Mrs. and I go there, I always stop by that place. They have a huge selection of out-of-print stuff and they don't charge eBay prices for them either. I would recommend Black Diamond or Endgame if you're in the SF Bay Area and traveling along the East Bay. If you're looking for games but not in FLGS, I would recommend the Half-Price Books in Concord, CA as they have a nice selection, but if they get a hold of something that's rare, expect it to go their rare items case and be priced at $100 or more.

Since you're going to Crescent City, stop at the gaming store in Eureka called North Coast Roleplaying. The store is right off 101 and Broadway.

If you like a scenic route (and if you have time and gas), drive from Arcata across Hwy 299 to Redding. In Redding, there's Armory Game and Hobby that's on Westside Road (right next to the very large Medical Marijuana sign though I'm not sure if that place is still around).

Remove ads