• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CalTech Acceptance and college life question!

Bibliophile

First Post
Hey! I just found out through the mail that I've been accepted into my #1 school, California Institute of Technology!!!! :) :) :)

So, yeah, now I'm still freaking out, but sooooo exciting!!!!

YAYAYY!!!

To provide some sort of topic for discussion though, does anyone have any suggestions about college life (i.e.- stuff to bring, stuff to keep in mind, etc)?

Crothian

First Post
How far are you moving? For me, it was only upstate so I underpacked initially knowing I could get stuff easily later once I figured a few things out.

The_Universe

First Post
Don't let the "school" part of college consume you, but don't ignore it, either. As in all things, there has to be a balance. Make sure that you make friends, that you experience new things, and that the new things you experience are LEGAL.

Don't get anybody pregnant, or (if you're a young woman, I didn't check) don't get pregnant.

Be prepared for the fact that although you won't notice it, you'll change, and so will all of your friends. Some you'll keep, some you won't. Don't worry about it--it all comes out in the wash.

Play DnD, sleep in, and stay up late. Drink so much soda that you can't sleep on a "school" night, and then do it again the next night.

Don't join a fraternity (this is a general rule--there are a VERY few good ones).

Grow up, but don't worry about making it seem like you've grown up. Those are the worst kind of posers.

SLEEP IN. It is your LAST CHANCE (save long periods of unemployment...).

Congratulations!

One quick piece of advice: Take some classes that you think sound interesting, and some from professors with great reputations. Especially if they don't have anything to do with your area of study. Elective classes that really interest you can make a world of difference (one class made me change my major from Communications/Television Production to Anthropology). And take some Phys Ed classes, they are worth it.

Silvanos

First Post
As an Admission's officer...

If you think you are going to flunk a class... DROP IT! That way you do not end up on probation, or suspension... A "W" does not count aginst your GPA, and F Hurts BAD.

If you get an F, take the same class the next semester, suck it up, and get a tutor. It takes dozens of A's to raise an F. So just retake it. Be man or women enough to admit you need help!

Go in knowing you will change your major at least once. And most likly 3 or 4 times...

I'll agree with the PE classes. They are fun, and will help you resist the Freshman 15. But if your not into sports... That is ok too.

I'll 1000000% agree with the pregnant part. I have seen so many bright students leave the university because of this. I'm not saying don't have fun, just saying, don't be stupid...

Ah to be young again!

D

*Added* Unless you are a Bright and Early person... Don't schedule 8am classes. You will just end up dropping them.

One thing to remember... Prof's could careless if you show up. There is no "No Child Left Behind" at the University level. As a result, noone gives you early warning if you are not meeting the classes requirement. It is up to you.

My freshman year was horrid (Gradewise) to much D&D and late nights. One thing I did was to try and get all my classes between 10am and 2pm. Then I would go to class, and study from 2 until 4. Then PARTY. By saying "I'm gonna study EVERYDAY at THIS time!" It helped me. My friends learned not to call me during those times, cause I was not going to go eat, or watch a movie, or whatever. But come 4, they knew I would be ready to go!

Last edited:

Dr. Harry

First Post
Bibliophile said:
Hey! I just found out through the mail that I've been accepted into my #1 school, California Institute of Technology!!!! :) :) :)

So, yeah, now I'm still freaking out, but sooooo exciting!!!!

YAYAYY!!!

To provide some sort of topic for discussion though, does anyone have any suggestions about college life (i.e.- stuff to bring, stuff to keep in mind, etc)?

If you got into a school like Caltech, then odds are that this is unnecessary, but you asked ...

The working world is very competitive, although I certainly hope things will be better a few years from now. If you want to be able to choose what you want to do and where you want to do it, you'd better be darn good at it. (Especially if you are going into a scientific or engineering field.). You won't need to spas for four years if you go a little over-strict your first semester/year, to establish good study habits, and get a sense of what effort different tasks take for you (besides the standard way of "oops, I guess that wasn't enough"). In your later years, when you've gotten to know the crowd at college you're going to hang with, this will let you allocate your fun time in a more confident fashion, and this does wonders for your quality of life.

People change a *lot* between ages 18-22. Don't make unconscious choices. (I.e., don't make unconsidered decisions.) Choose the person you want to end up being. If life's a game, it's much better to go by the point-buy system than to roll the dice.

College can be immensely enjoyable. Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out. Remember the first two things I learned in college:

1. Never turn down a free meal

2. Never turn down a free beer. (Well,, unless it's like 'Bud' or something.)

I am convinced that the healthiest schedule is to go to sleep about 4 A.M. and get up about noon, but then I'm an astronomer, so I might be biased. Live like this while you can.

Macbeth

First Post
Heh. Just about a year ago, I posted a thead almost exactly like this one...

Well, my advice would be mostly in line with the other posters. PE classes (or fairly freindly sports) are great. I'm also at a Tech school, but we do have three sports teams, Mens and Womens soccer, and Men's Rugby. None of the teams are really competitive, all are open to anybody who wants to play, and they a rea great way to meet people. I'm playing rugby and having a great time. The nice part about these 'friendly' school teams is that, since you don't try out for the team, you can leave at any time if need be, if, for instance, you need more time for school work.

A mini-fridge is absolutely nessecary. I can't count the nights I've spent writing C code with Dr. Pepper after Dr. Pepper from my fridge. A microwave is also nice.

Make friends. This will make school ten times better. Having a significant other also makes school life easier. But, be safe, having a kid in college would suck horribly.

Take some courses for fun. Even if they have absolutely nothing to do with your major, you can have a great time, and credits never hurt.

Hmmm, I know I must have more advice, but I can't think of anything now... Maybe later...

Dr. Harry

First Post
Silvanos said:

Read this post about 5-10 more times.

Go in knowing you will change your major at least once. And most likly 3 or 4 times...

Well, this isn't always true - but if you love a subject be ready to put forth the effort to keep up.

One thing to remember... Prof's could careless if you show up. There is no "No Child Left Behind" at the University level. As a result, noone gives you early warning if you are not meeting the classes requirement. It is up to you.

Although one thing that really bugs me is a student coming to class late, disrupting the class out of a total lack of commitment or regard for people around them.

Macbeth

First Post
Also, while your in college, you'll see streaking, drinking, and probably a number of things that Eric's Grandma won't let me mention. Be prepared. (Which, depending on your point of view, means always being ready to cover your eyes and walk away, or always carrying a camera and a condem)

Simplicity

Explorer
Silvanos said:

If you think you are going to flunk a class... DROP IT! That way you do not end up on probation, or suspension... A "W" does not count aginst your GPA, and F Hurts BAD.

Generally, this is good advice, but be sure you read up on CalTech's freshman grading policies. The first year at CalTech is pass/fail, rather than graded.
So, a lot of people go really heavy on the classes their first year.
If you can handle it, doing this will make the rest of your life easier. But that means your life outside of school is nil for your first year. The classes themselves are pretty heavy duty, so be careful.

Remove ads