• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign Balance

Tovec

Explorer
Duly noted.

I forgot to note that while 7 + level is more correct than 5 + ECL I don't think I've ever seen a 7 + lvl. 5 + lvl, 10 + lvl, even 12+ lvl sure but 7 is an odd number. It is fairly inconsequential however.

Just the -2 WIS. Why? Is that not wise? (Pun intended)
Because as absurd as it sounds (and is) a net +2 is reasonably neutral, whereas a net +4 isn't. It is one of those things that can sometimes constitute a +1 LA by itself.

Something else I noted when reading back through, he has a lot more AUTOMATIC languages than I'm used to seeing. You based it on the "Raksashas speak Common, Infernal, and Undercommon" section in the monster description. However, the Raksashas as Characters section lists "Automatic Languages; Common, Infernal. Bonus Languages; Sylvan, Undercommon". I would go with the latter description instead.

Drobney Falcor

First Post
Because as absurd as it sounds (and is) a net +2 is reasonably neutral, whereas a net +4 isn't. It is one of those things that can sometimes constitute a +1 LA by itself.

After speaking with the player about the removal of -2 WIS he informed me that he wouldn't mind if it was included. He even pointed out that Ansolon (His rakshasa's last name) literally means "without wisdom". So I have re-added the penalty. I originally thought of removing only on the ground of what would be effected (some skills) in the long run. So it is now only a net gain of +2

Something else I noted when reading back through, he has a lot more AUTOMATIC languages than I'm used to seeing. You based it on the "Raksashas speak Common, Infernal, and Undercommon" section in the monster description. However, the Raksashas as Characters section lists "Automatic Languages; Common, Infernal. Bonus Languages; Sylvan, Undercommon". I would go with the latter description instead.

I forgot to mention that I reduced this to just Common and Infernal. I don't like the idea of restrictions on bonus languages because it seems to limit creativity. Why would a Rakshasa know how to speak Aquan? Who cares so long as it fits with backstory created.

Tovec

Explorer
I forgot to mention that I reduced this to just Common and Infernal. I don't like the idea of restrictions on bonus languages because it seems to limit creativity. Why would a Rakshasa know how to speak Aquan? Who cares so long as it fits with backstory created.

Agreed, I just wanted to point it out. As far as rules go, it doesn't matter (to me) if it as bonus languages ANY but the automatic should still just be the two I said (and it looks like you did). Cheers.

irdeggman

First Post

Technically (per PHB pg 12 {The last sentence is "missing" from the SRD.} a character must use his Int bonus (in extra languages) to choose from the ones listed on the "bonus" languages list of his race. Humans specifically list "any" as a reflection of their adaptability and wide-spread appearance in all lands. A character can always "buy" additional languages using his pool of skill points at the rate of 1 language per rank in Speak Languages (even though there is no such thing as ranks in Speak Language - the mechanic is the same it is either 1 sp per language (if a class skill) or 2 sp per language if it is a cross-class skill). The Bonus languages are basically "free languages" if the character has a high enough Intelligence.

All characters know how to speak Common. A dwarf, elf, gnome,
half-elf, half-orc, or halfling also speaks a racial language, as
appropriate. A smart character (one who had an Intelligence bonus
at 1st level) speaks other languages as well, one extra language per
point of Intelligence bonus as a starting character. Select your
character’s bonus languages (if any) from the list found in his or her
race’s description later in this chapter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads