campaign & character websites

thol

Explorer
thanks! i've been a lurker for quite a while, but never posted.

piratecat, that's a great site, pretty much exactly what i've had in mind for laying out the characters online.

i'd also love some comments/ideas/criticism on the current state of my site. for now, i've borrowed most of the formats for the info so i could get the shell content up. i'm hoping to come up with something really slick, but we'll see if time allows.

the site address is http://cleocrazy.com/aelor/

javapadawan

First Post
My site: http://www.javapadawan.com

Kind of an eclectic campaign site... There's some stuff on my campaign world, backgrounds of past PCs I've played and backgrounds written by my players for their PCs, plus some random line generators, mad libs and the spellcaster utility in my sig. :)

I have a section for players only where they can log in and check their current XP and upload backgrounds for their characters and stuff too, but I'm in the process of rewriting the whole thing. :)

~Chris

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Re: Re: um...

kingpaul said:
Some may not have posted because they submitted they're world to WotC.

WotC already said that they're cool with website worlds as long as they've never been published before.

But most people probably don't know that and don't want to take any chances.

KnowTheToe

First Post
My site is

www.craniumgames.com

I have not used it for awhile. The format works great, atleast for me. I borrowed several bits and pieces off of other fan sites and campaign sites.

I used the same graphics across the entire site, it helps keep loading speeds down.

JBowtie

First Post
My campaign site is at http://www.johnnybowtie.net/Haranshire/ .

We just ran the last session for a while (I'm moving to NZ) so updates have lagged slightly.

The House Rules, Table Rules, and Current Rumors pages were the ones I got the best feedback on. Also got good feedback when I set up the Book of Exalted Deeds.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
My campaign website is in my sig. The campaign is on a summer hiatus right now so it hasn't been updated in a couple of months, but there's lots of content there. It's SUPER low tech, just done with a text editor (BBEdit and Pepper). I don't even have Frontpage. HTML is dead simple and I can put up a new Barsoom page in seconds any time.

My advice for you, thol, is threefold:

First -- put SOMETHING on your main page, preferably a quick "What's New" list of latest updates. Just add a line everytime you add something new to the site.

Second -- don't run your text from one side of the browser to the other. Narrow columns are MUCH easier to read. Use tables to create columned text. I know, I know, you're SUPPOSED to use CSS but it doesn't actually work so... use tables.

Third -- add some images. Go to www.imagenetion.com and browse around, and, yeah, STEAL them. 'S what I did. Steal them, resize them, slap on a border so they look like they belong and bob = your uncle.

Finally (yeah, yeah) -- get rid of the background pattern. Solid, reasonably neutral colours are the only suitable background for pages you actually want people to read.

But overall, good for you. There's real content there -- and the content will always be the important part. My players really seem to dig the Barsoom site -- it's usually up while we're playing so people can check things their players would know about geography or history or whatever. Players who have moved on to other parts of the world can keep up on campaign developments.

I'm really happy I started the Barsoom site and I'm sure you'll be happy and proud of your campaign site in no time!

thol

Explorer
barsoomcore, thanks for the advice/input. it's hard when you've created a page to know what the strengths and weaknesses are. i'll take some of your suggestions and get moving on em. i've got some ideas for a nice format, i think, and hopefully after vacation i can do a major overhaul.

everyone who's posted links to their sites, thanks alot! they've given me many ideas on what else i should add to my site.

Remove ads