D&D 5E [CAMPAIGN] Out of the Abyss [SPOILERS]

Motorskills

Explorer
My group will get to Neverlight next session. I love the way you played Basidia, but I'm going to amp the paranoia up a bit, with Phylo seeming a bit more enlightened, and Basidia being (correctly!) nervous and conservative.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Session 12

Apothicas scouts the svirfneblin and duergar compounds using a combination of stealth and his bat familiar. He finds the svirfneblin compound in a state of ruin. The doors to their warehouse have been broken open with picks. The svirfneblin inside have been slaughtered by duergar weaponry. The bat’s echolocation detected a few concealed svirfneblin likely using magic or their natural ability to blend with stone to hide. Most of the valuables have been plundered.
The duergar compound was fortified and unscathed. The gates to the compound were closed. The bat detected invisible duergar guards at the gates and doors of their warehouse. Apothicas decided to leave the assault on the duergar compound for a later time.

After making a deal with Sirak to slay the beholder negotiated by Apothicas, the PCs joined by Kinyel, a drow assassin working for Sirak, made their way to the Zhentarim enclave for a meeting arranged by Sirak to further negotiate with Ghazrim.

Dar had earlier informed Apothicas of a demonic presence associated with Kinyel. Apothicas confirmed the presence with his paladin gifts from the goddess Shar. They ambushed her on the way to the Zhentarim enclave with Apothicas shouting, “Die, Demon!” At that moment most of the group was surprised save Dar and Apothicas. They attacked Kinyel failing to damage her. A gargoyle that had shadowed them from the drow enclave came to Kinyel’s aid. The party not sure what was occurring killed both Kinyel and the gargoyle.

The PCs searched Kinyel’s body finding a gem with a powerful demonic presence. Destrian touched the gem and felt a powerful demonic mind touch his, the thoughts so profane he was almost driven mad. Only his extremely strong will prevented his mental dissipation. The PCs immediately decided that Tytus should attempt to destroy the gem with his vorpal sword. He proceeded to strike it. Each time he struck the gem, his mind was assaulted by the demon lord Fraz’urb-luu. Tytus continued to strike the gem until the demon lord’s mental assault caused him to halt and almost killed him. At that point Destrian took up the task of unleashing the power of the grave upon the gem. His stronger mind allowed him to resist the mental assault and destroy the gem. When the fist-sized black gem of exquisite craftsmanship shattered, the spirit of Fraz-urb’luu rose up as a demonic shadow of the demon lord, laughed, and faded returning to his body in the Abyss, the first of the demon lords to be driven from Underdark.

The PCs took a short rest, then proceeded to the meeting with the Zhentarim. At the meeting Apothicas told Ghazrim why he was sent: to kill the beholder and obtain his ring. Ghazrim, sure that Sirak would not send anyone not capable of killing a beholder to make such a bold threat, offered his ring if the PCs left. Apothicas took the ring, Jharzzle’s bow Sassindra banished Ghazrim, and the PCs assaulted the beholder and the Zhentarim guards. The beholder did not last long in an open fight within the Zhentarim pavilion. It did almost petrify Apothicas and did a bit of damage to Tytus, but it could not withstand such a powerful group. After the beholder felt, the Zhentarim thugs were quickly dispatched and the remaining Zhentarim veterans surrendered. The PCs dismissed the banishment and left Ghazrim in place for Sirak to negotiate with.

The next day the PCs assaulted the duergar complex killing most of the duergar. They found the deep gnome leader being tortured by the duergar leaders. She was dressed in a suit of gems suspended over a xorn while being questioned about the whereabouts of the gem. Apothicas informed them the gem was destroyed, then killed them. The party left the merchants that did not fight alive at Jharzzle’s urging. Sirak dispatched them later as well as the remaining svirfneblin to take control of the trading post and opened negotiations with the weakened Zhentarim taking control of trade with the surface world. Sirak was pleased with Apothicas and they developed a romantic as well as political and economic relationship.

DM Notes:
1. I used a full powered beholder in Mantol-Derith rather than the weakened version given the size and power of the party. It did ok. A DC 16 save isn't an automatic save. I think in an environment more amenable to its mobility, it would have done better. But the beholder is as it always has been: more frightening in appearance than power. I imagine for a group with less magic and smaller, it would be a lot scarier creature. Though I did boost its hit points and allowed calculated uses of its eye rays. It didn't change much. I'll have to work on modifications for the beholder that make it more dangerous and capable. I think improving its mobility may do the trick. If it can move around the battlefield using its flight effectively for defense, it would be a much more dangerous creature.

2. The gem was a custom encounter. I wanted to make the destruction of the gem a more interesting encounter. Even though it was easy relative to the power of a full demon lord, I wanted the PCs to have a taste of what it was to battle an Abyssal lord. I also used it as a chance to dispense an high experience award to boost the level pace as they reach the parts of the module where they will be facing more formidable enemies. I gave the full value for defeating Fraz-Urb'luu. If the group did not use the ideal PCs to attack the gem, this encounter might have been a great deal more costly. Destrian was the one character that could withstand the mental assault of the demon lord with some degree of success.

3. The PCs acquired some minor magical items from the duergar compound, some of them looted from the svirfneblin by the duergar.

4. The PCs made level 8.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Black Gem of Fraz-urb'luu

BLACK GEM OF FRAZ-URB’LUU: The gem houses the spirit of the demon lord Fraz-Urb’luu. If it is destroyed, Fraz-Urb’luu’s spirit returns to his body in the Abyss.
Gem: Hit points: 350

While imprisoned inside the gem, Fraz-Urb'luu retains his alignment and senses (see appendix D), but loses all of his other attributes and can't take actions. The gem is as big as a human fist and has AC 20 and 350 hit points, immunity to poison and psychic damage, and immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons and resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from magical weapons. It is also immune to any spell effect that requires a saving throw. While inside the gem, the demon lord can't be attacked, harmed, coerced, or heard. He can be contacted via telepathy, however. Shattering the gem releases Fraz-Urb'luu's life force, which instantly returns to the demon lord's body in the Abyss.

Defense: If anyone attempts to destroy the gem, they are affected by a DC 23 saving throw phantasmal killer. This effect triggers once per turn per PC that attacks. It does not trigger for each PC attack, so multiple attacks by a single PC do not require multiple saves.

Anyone touching gem must make DC 23 Wisdom save or suffer indefinite form of Madness while the gem is in their possession. When the gem leaves their possession, they can attempt to recover from the madness with a new saving throw after every long rest.

MADNESS OF FRAZ-URB'LUU: dlOO Flaw (lasts until cured) All saves are DC 23 while the gem is in your possession. DC 18 when the gem leaves your possession.

01 - 20 "I never let anyone know the truth about my actions or intentions, even if doing so would be beneficial to me.” (Make a wisdom save or you tell no one the truth. You can’t coordinate actions. You don’t tell anyone when you are hurt. You trust no one and see everyone as someone to be mistrusted. You can make a new save each short or long rest to regain your sense of trust.)

21- 40 "I have intermittent hallucinations and fits of catatonia." (Make Wisdom save or do nothing but stare off into space. You are incapacitated and have 0 movement.)

41 - 60 "My mind wanders as I have elaborate fantasies that have no bearing on reality. When I return my focus to the world, I have a hard time remembering that it was just a daydream." (Make a save or have modify memory cast on you and Fraz-Urb’luu inserts some fantasy into your mind that you believe to be true. While this daydream is ongoing, you have no idea what is occurring in the real world and can take no actions other than those you believe to be true.)

61- 80 "I convince myself that things are true, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary." (Make a Wisdom save or suffer effect of phantasmal killer (1-3) or phantasmal force (4-6). Must make save every round to shrug off the effect. If Madness level is longer than an hour, you must make a new save or suffer the effect again after you complete a short or long rest.)

81 - 00 "My perception of reality doesn't match anyone else's. It makes me prone to violent delusions that make no sense to anyone else." (Make a Wisdom saving throw occasionally, if you fail it you randomly attack someone in the area and try to kill them feeling a sense of utter rage at them. You can make a new save at the end of each of your turns to regain control. The DM decides when your random acts of rage occur.)

DM Notes: I thought the above modifications would make the gem a dangerous enemy. If the PCs acted incautiously or impulsively, it would have led to a lot of pain. Only two of the PCs had a high wisdom saving throw: Destrian and Tytus. Even with Tytus's fairly high save, he was seriously injured by the phantasmal killer effect which I described as Fraz-Urb'luu attacking the PC. You should be very descriptive of this effect with Fraz pounding the flesh to pulp and ripping the flesh apart with his jaws causing intense pain and fright. The insanity effect can be quite debilitating as well. I made the saves high enough that it was unlikely many would save against it. Effects are no fun if they never affect the PCs in my opinion.

Fortunately the PCs used good tactics with Sassindra casting resistance each round a single PC attacked to bolster his save against the phantasmal killer. This worked to great effect until the gem was destroyed.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
GRAVENHOLLOW

Since this is more of a campaign log, I'm going to discuss how I ran this section rather with occasional excerpts from the players. I did the majority of this section over email. It is mainly comprised of exposition and role-playing. The chapter is meant to reveal what summoned the demon lords to the Underdark. The PCs gain a substantial portion of experience for learning this information. To ensure full participation I required each player to submit questions referencing the past, present, and future. I answered each question according to the information I believed may be present in the library including no information if the information requested was something stone giants would not concern themselves with even tangentially. Six players asking questions was enough to garner the major plot points described in the chapter such as learning who was behind the summoning and some of the major events that occurred in the Underdark.

The second major point of this chapter was to introduce Vizeran DeVir, an ancient drow that has a plan to rid the Underdark of the Demon Lords. In my particular version of this campaign, two of the starting drow are from House DeVir and another that joined later is Vizeran's son. Vizeran had his son guide the PCs to Gravenhollow so that they might learn who summoned the demon lords, so that he would not have to spend time convincing them that is plan to banish them would work. He also wanted to ensure they knew the summoner was a Lolth-manipulated Gromph Baenre.

Vizeran approached Tytus first. Tytus was initially wary and displayed his usual violent rudeness towards Vizeran. Vizeran remained calm and told the boy to research him if he doubted his ancestry. Tytus was able to determine using the Archives of the Past that Vizeran DeVir was his uncle and a member of House Devir. Once he was convinced, a private meeting between Vizeran, Tytus, and Apothicas occurred where they agreed to ensure the Dark Heart Talisman was placed in Menzoberranzan. The intent was to allow the demon lords to destroy most of the city including the ruling houses, from that destruction Vizeran intends to build an order of magi with himself and his son as ruling members to lead Menzoberranzan into a new age and avenge House DeVir. This plan was relayed to the rest of the party. They agreed to carry out the plan including placing the dark heart without any thought as to the consequences to Menzoberranzan. I'm hoping at least a few of the players wake up to what they'll be doing. We shall see.

On a side note, Darcain learned more of his past. He learned he was a king that ruled an ancient kingdom known as the Empire of Diabolus Rex. When he sat on the The Ruby Throne, he wielded a ruby-bladed longsword with a gold hilt that was his pact with Asmodeus. He beseeched Hell to return his blade to him, so that he could fulfil his contract to slay the Lords of the Abyss. Asmodeus, not caring about such trifles, did so. Darcain again possesses The Devil King's Blade and has started relearning his sorcerous power.

Vizeran gave to Apothicas the Spellsong Whip. It is a powerful magical weapon created by Vizeran for his son at a time when they might be able fulfill his lifelong quest for vengeance against Menzoberranzan. That time has come. The whip is quite potent. I'll post it and the sword in the character summaries.

This wasn't the most active chapter, but it was necessary. It provided a good chunk of experience and filled in the backstory for the PCs.

I also reordered when the players go to Vizeran's tower and how he instructs the players to complete his plan:

Vizeran’s Plan: Vizeran outlines who he is and what he knows as outlined in the Tower of Araj section. He lays out his plan except where he plans to lay the Dark Heart Talisma and enact the ritual. Only Tytus and Apothicas know where this will occur.
Vizeran gives the players a map. He instructs them on the plan and location of each object.

First, I recommend you go to the Labyrinth given its distance from Gravenhollow. There you will acquire the six angel feathers we need and the demon heart. You will find a place known as the Gallery of Angels for the angel feathers. My divinations tell me there are goristro in the Labyrinth following their lord Baphomet. Obtain one of their hearts. You may also be able to cut one of the demon lords there for there are two. Baphomet and his enemy Yeenoghu, Demon Lord of Gnolls. Perhaps cut one of them with one of your blades or an arrow, obtain the blood that spurts forth from the wound. And always be looking for the thirteen timmasks or “Devil’s Mushrooms." There are so many demons in the Underdark at the moment, you should be able to find some.

I don’t know if this is true, but there is rumor of a Maze Engine in the Labyrinth. This is an artifact of extreme power created by the Lords of Order. If you can find it and activate it, it may be useful. Maze Engines are powerful weapons against chaos. If you come upon one, do what you can to benefit. Please remember the location. I would like to study it.

Once you collect the items from the Labyrinth, you’ll traverse the Wormwrithings to collect the intact egg of a purple worm. There are many nests of them in the Wormwrithings, which should be obvious given the name. There is also a Beholder or two within the Wormwrithings that I know of. We will need one of their central eyes to create the Dark Heart.

Once you have acquired what we need, return to my tower. My son knows where it is. He will lead you here. Once that is complete, I will reveal the remainder of the plan. Vizeran gives the map to Apothicas with all the places he needs to go marked and containers necessary for preserving and carrying the items. You all understand the importance of what you do. I will not emphasize the need for haste.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Description of Gravenhollow Scenario

This section is all roleplaying. It is fairly free form. Any of you may ask nearly any question your character wishes to know and receive some kind of information on the subject.

Jharzzle has access to the stonespeaker crystal. I don’t care who asks the questions. Jharzzle can access the information in the form of one vision per day using the stonespeaker crystal in the appropriate archive.

You may start in the past, present, or future. It is up to you.

Each of you must come up with at least one question of substance that ties into either to the adventure meaning the demonic incursion, your past or future, or some aspect of your character you may want to know more about to earn your experience.

GRAVENHOLLOW After 44 days of weary travel through the dark, stony terrain of the Underdark, during the first part of your travel on the 45th day you hear singing. Strange tunes in various languages, some unknown, but some in the elvish, undercommon, and common languages known by most of you. You move towards the sound.

Jharzzle scouting ahead is the first to come upon the maker of the sounds, a grey-green eight-legged lizard creature with spiky protrusions on its back. Its eyes are downcast as though averting its gaze. The creature sings of Gravenhollow, where the stone speaks and the past, present, and future meet.

The creature shows no hostility. Jharzzle calls out to it. It answers, "About time you lot arrived! Come! The library bid me guide you to the gates, and I've waited too long for you already."

You follow the basilisk on an eight hour journey to the gates of Gravenhollow. During the journey you learn his name is Veldyskar, he is a guardian and servant of Gravenholly. He has been for more years than he can remember because “time is timeless in Gravenhollow.” He tells you The Keepers knew of your coming because your coming was recorded in Gravenhollow. He says you will find the answers you seek within the library, all that occurs is within it if you wait long enough.

You finally reach a massive pair of basalt doors flanked by stone giant statues. The doors open to a slight push. The stone giant statues heads turn to watch you as you enter.

Veldyskar says, “Continue straight ahead through the hall. The Keepers will greet you.” He then trots off down a side passage.

Walking across the threshold of Gravenhollow is like stepping into another realm. The oppressive gloom of the Underdark is replaced by light and a sense of openness that brings back memories of the surface world.

The corridor beyond the gates is wide enough for ten people to walk side by side and the ceiling's height reminds you of the great halls of Gracklstugh. The corridor opens into a central well, with walkways crossing its span to the opposite side. You can barely see the ends of the level to your right and left, with doors opening into so many rooms that you doubt you could explore them all in a single day.

The ceiling is bright, with rainbows trapped in hundreds of crystal formations combining to create a warm and inviting illumination. Looking down is a dizzying experience. Staircases connect to different levels below, and you soon lose count of how far down they go.

A stout, rocky creature detaches from the perfectly smooth wall to your left, leaving an impnnt of its body in the wall that quickly smooths out and fades from sight. "Trravelerrrrsss. I am Hourm. The masterrrsss are occupied. Therre arre rroomsss forr all of you. Choose yourr own. The rresourrcesss of Grravenhollow arre at yourr disssposssal. You need only asssk."

Jharzzle queries the galeb duhr showing it the stonespeaker crystal. The galeb duhr explains in its rumbling voice that the library is divided into the Archives of the Past, Archives of the Present, and the Archives of the Future. The Keepers inscribe stone tablets that are placed in the appropriate archive at the appropriate point in time. You may access the tablets if you wish. The Speakers will assist as required. Ulthar is the Keeper of the Past. Urmas is the Keeper of the Present. Ustova is the Keeper of the Future.

Gravenhollow's records are organized by rooms attuned to the past, the present, or the future. Each level has a random number of rooms, arranged without any apparent system other than the library's intuitive ability to direct visitors to where they want to go-or to where the library thinks they need to go.

Most of the information you seek must be accessed using the stonespeaker crystal. While you are here, all may read the tablets and engravings in the archives. But they mostly deal with the concerns of stone giants and the Underdark, That may not be enough for your needs. The stonespeaker crystal will allow you to see much, much more.

Do not be concerned about the echoes. Gravenhollow "remembers" all who have walked its halls, as well as those who will visit the library in the future. As you explore the library, apparitions will constantly flicker in and out of existence around you-the echoes of those who have come or will come to Gravenhollow in search of knowledge. You may speak to them if you wish.

If you have no more questions of me, I leave you to find what you must in the library. May it help us all.

Note: The guest quarters appear bare until a visitor chooses a room. The next time that room is entered, it is fully furnished according to the character's taste and needs characters don't need to make any check to find their guest rooms after exploring the library: they need only wish to return, and the next set of stairs they come to leads them to the appropriate level.

The walkways that surround the central well are wide and mostly empty with the occasional galeb duhr or visitor echo wandering about. Each level consists of a well opening surrounded by a wide walkway connecting the rooms dug into the surrounding wall. Bridges cross the well at regular intervals and also connect to stairs to the levels above and below. No matter how far down visitors go, there always appear to be more levels below.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
New Sorcerous Bloodline: Infernal

Sorcerous Bloodline (Infernal): The blood of devils runs strong in some.

Chosen of Hell: At 1st level, your affinity with hell gives you access to some of the powers of devils. You add the following spells to your list of spells known at the appropriate level. These spells do not count against your spells known maximum.

1st: Hellish Rebuke, Charm Person.
3rd: Scorching Ray, Suggestion.
5th: Fireball, Fear.
7th: Fire Shield, Wall of Fire.
9th: Dominate Person, Hold Monster.

Infernal Might: As magic flows through your body, it causes physical traits of your devil ancestors to emerge. At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
Additionally, you gain resistance to fire and poison damage.

Infernal Contract: At 6th level, you can cast find familiar as a ritual to summon an imp familiar. The imp familiar’s hit point maximum increases by 6 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level above 6 in this class. The imp can cast commune once per long rest contacting hell to answer questions you pose it.

Devil’s Wings: At 14th level, you gain the ability to sprout a pair of bat-like devil wings from your back, gaining a flying speed equal to your current speed. You can create these wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn. You can’t manifest your wings while wearing armor unless the armor is made to accommodate them, and clothing not made to accommodate your wings might be destroyed when you manifest them.

Improved Infernal Might: When you obtain 18th level, the power of your devil ancestors waxes. You become immune to fire and poison damage and immune to the poisoned condition. You gain resistance to bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered.

DM Notes: I wanted to bolster familiars a bit. They are scaling poorly. I want to see if a familiar with more hit points would make them more useful at higher level. It seems that wizards and warlocks get familiars that start off very nifty, then become useless gnats at higher level. Scaling familiars was one of the things I enjoyed in 3E. It is pretty lame when a major class feature like pact magic becomes useless at higher level. Even enhanced familiars like imps and quasits that can turn invisible don't have a high enough AC and hit points to survive a high level creature swatting at them even once with Disadvantage making the familiar useless in combat. That seems wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Some Gravenhollow interactions

Jharzzle's research with stonespeaker crystal concerning demon lords.

Jharzzle enters the Archives of the Present with the stonespeaker crystal. Above the entrance it says in Dwarvish and Giant (you find that you can read the languages in Gravenhollow), The present is like sand, ever flowing and escaping one's grasp without mercy or respite.

Apothicas reads the tablets and Jharzzle interacts with the stones. You learn:

Juiblex is imbuing slimes and molds with a malevolent intellect that desires to consume the world. You can see the demon lord of slime eating tunnels in the the earth. Puddles of slime left in his wake that animate with a life of their own, slithering off to consume more and more and more.

Yeenoghu the demon lord of gnolls turning hyenas into gnolls, gnolls into fangs, and leading armies of gnolls on hunts of living creatures good or evil. Torture and death await those they hunt.

Baphomet walks the labyrinthine caverns of the Underdark. Goristro and minotaurs with him destroying anything he passes.

Demogorgon rests in destroy Gracklstugh enjoying the madness and terror his presence provokes amongst the remaining dwarves and derro.

Zuggtymoy with an entourage of myconids dancing about her makes her way through the deep tunnels. All that she comes upon she infects with spores that putrefy and pleasure them simultaneous making death and rebirth as a fungal creature desirable.

Grazz’t maintains a den of debauchery. Succubus, incubus, cambion, and drow of great beauty satisfy lust and pain intertwined with the demon lord impregnating more females to increase his brood.

Orcus slays everything he comes across, then raises them as an undead army in his service. His throne carried by undead giants in servitude to him.

You determine there are seven active demon lords in the Underdark visiting death, chaos, and madness in many forms upon all they come across.

The next day Jharzzle uses the crystal in the Archives of the Past to inquire as to how the demon lords were drawn to the Underdark:

An imperious drow archwizard in spider-silk robes casts a mighty conjuration spell. As the ritual draws
toward its conclusion, a web of Faerzress energy expands outward. The wizard seems alarmed by this, his efforts
to complete the spell growing more crazed as he realizes he's lost control.
And then, madness! Rifts open in the web of energy around him. These cracks stretch and widen, and
through them come horrific fiends that scream, shriek, and howl as they are wrenched from the Abyss and cast
into the Underdark.
A woman's deep, dark laugh echoes in your mind as the drow wizard shrinks away from the demonic hordes
he has unwittingly unleashed.
Jharzzle seems the symbol of House Baenre on the wizard.

The next day Jharzzle inquires about Lolth in the Archives of the Present.

You behold the true form of the Demon Queen of Spiders-that of a black. bloated arachnid with the head
of a female drow. Nestled in the webs all around her are thousands upon thousands of gray eggs. Lolth knows she
is being scried, her fury tangible as her mind reaches out to find you. Her shriek of rage as she's shut out by the
powerful wards of Gravenhollow echoes in your mind as the vision is suddenly torn away to darkness.

Jharzzle takes the crystal to the Archives of the Future:

Jharzzle sees a dark heart with a mouth. Into it is fed various parts: purple worm egg, a large eye, angel feathers, a huge heart, thirteen blood-fed mushrooms, the blood of a demon lord. Words read from a detailed grimoire. The dark heart pulses. With each pulse a demon lord is drawn. The image quickly changes, the words are read in a different manner, the heart pulses opening a portal through which you can see images of the various demon lords pass. The image fades.

Apothicas: A large eye... like a beholder eye? Are these ingredients we need to obtain? I ask to see the future of MenzoB. I also, for personal reasons, want to look back in time to the point where House Beanre recreated Do'Urden. I want to know exactly what happened in that meeting. Also, This mage that summoned the demon lords, find out more about him. Look to his past. and, where is he now? Other than House Beanre, what is his name?

The crystal shows Menzoberranzan’s future is uncertain. Perhaps your father would know the face of the mage Jharzzle saw. There is no information on the meeting that reformed Do’urden, only that Baenre rules the house through a moon elf proxy that acts as Matron Mother.

Eraxis asks about his past and his future regarding the powers he had attained. What was the crystal that was deep in the mines and why has the shadows taken residency inside my body? How will the powers develop in time? Will the powers develop into something I will always be able to control? Or will the shadows consume me from the inside out?

Eraxis reads through the archives. He learns the shadow within him comes from the Shadowweave that touches the Plain of Shadow, created by Shar, the Goddess of Darkness. The Shadowweave infuses some wielders of magic drawing upon magical power of an alternate source of magic than the Weave, which is ruled by Mystra. You are unsure how your powers will develop, but it is said at some point users of the Shadowweave can eventually become shadows. The shadows may consume you as darkness often leads to evil. You will have to resist the temptation to walk down Shar’s path of evil.

In any way shape or form did the destruction of the crystal lead to the release of the demon lords in the underdark?

No. The destruction of the crystal did not summon the demons. The crystal was infused with the shadowweave. It exploded when the wild surge Eraxis generated from the normal weave struck the power of the shadowweave causing the crystal to explode infusing Eraxis with the darkness of the Shadowweave.

Following up the previous questions, after this adventure in the underdark, if Eraxis survives. He wishes to know where he will be welcomed up on the surface world. His town was destroyed and was left with powers that could possibly used for research or the greater good.

How is Karzak doing as well? That orc has not been seen in quite a while. He just took off and left. With all this madness and chaos erupting, Eraxis at least wishes to know if his previous comrade is safe and sound. He does not ask about Stool since it had been a shorter amount of time since they have seen each other.

Eraxis does not know where he will be welcomed. He knows there are many human towns on the surface where he may go.

Word of a murderous half-orc stalking the Underdark are note occasionally in the annals of the past.

(Past) Tytus asks who specifically gave the order to wipe out house De’Vir long ago (which led to its fall) … he wants all names.

A long list of names starting with Matron Mother Malice Do’urden of House Do’Urden. Drizz’t Do’urden’s birth was used to fuel powerful magic that was used to destroy the house. Drizz’t was instrumental in the destruction of House DeVir, though he was only an infant and did not help voluntarily. Drizz’t is the last surviving member of House Do’urden.

(Present) Tytus asks what Drizzt’s true motivation is in the present and what role does he play in this demon assault. At this point Tytus wants vengeance mostly on him as a surviving member of house Do’Urden. Tytus knows Drizzt is not responsible for the fall of his house but slaying him would be one of the greatest victories he could achieve at this point. Drizzt was actually born on the night house De’Vir fell.

Drizz’t has no role in the demon assault.

(Future) Tytus asks what his dreams mean and how involved Lolth is with this demon assault. He would like to know also the best way to gain access to her realm.

Lolth is the mastermind of this demon assault. His dreams mean he is caught in her web, the same as the Lords of the Abyss and all in the Underdark right now. You may freely access her realm if you can travel to her plane. She has no fear of anything or anyone in her home.

Tytus: (Future) One more question … is there a future vision of a new dark elf realm? My ultimate goal is to raze Menzzoberanzan to the ground, destroy Lolth and rebuild a new realm where dark elves can worship freely.

Menzoberranzan’s future is uncertain. It shows many possibilities from its utter destruction to the status quo to a new city ruled by magi and warriors. It is opened ended.

Jharzzle's questions: Past: What role did the Razing of house De'Vir play in present events with the invasion of these demonic forces?

Nothing.

Present: Are there others of our people that we may call allies? What about the other underdark races (deep gnomes/dueregar/giants/illithid/aboleths/myconids/etc)... what role do they play, and are there allies among them? What of these powerful artifacts we have acquired (my bow/Tytus' sword/Destrian's holy symbol/etc). Are they aligned with the intent to destroy the demon invasion?

All the people of the Underdark may be your allies against the Lords of the Abyss. All are at risk, good and evil. All the items are aligned to destroy the demonic invasion, but not all for the same reasons.

Future: Further query on Menzoberranzan... If we succeed, is there a future for my people where they may once again bathe under moon and stars.. and one day drink in the glory of the dawn?

There is no clear answer.

Destrian's questions: Past: Why was I chosen by Kelemvor? Surely there are other priests more powerful and wise than I. What did Kelemvor see in me that he found fit to take on such a dangerous and important mission?

Kelemvor chose you because of your courage and natural ability. He felt you had the physical and mental strength to stand against the Lords of the Abyss.

Present: Are we powerful enough to vanquish these demon lords? After seeing these visions of their power I am quite doubtful that 6 mere mortals can destroy these beings of pure evil merely by sword and magic. Is there something we are missing? A certain artifact or weapon perhaps that will weaken these lords?

The dark heart appears in your vision. Find the one that can make the dark heart to banish the demons. With the power you are given, you may be able to vanquish the demon lords in the physical forms they have take in the material plane.

Future: These comrades I travel with, is their resolve strong enough to go against such chaos and madness? Are they prepared to lay down their lives in the name of our quest? Or will they flee when things turn grim?

Their resolve is strong enough. All have reasons tied to life and death that drive them. Only one amongst you may turn aside at his choice, all others are compelled to fulfill the quest or they will lose the favor of those they serve.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Travel to the Labyrinth

Travel from Gravenhollow to The Labyrinth: It takes 30 days to reach the Spiral of the Horned King.

Day 1: No encounter during day.

Day 2: No encounter.

Day 3: Horrid Sounds. You hear the echo of souls suffering. Make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw or gain a level of Madness from Orcus. (CR ½ 100 xp)

Boneyard. A whisper from the darkness, “You cannot pass. The Prince of Undeath has decreed this way sealed.” Burnt bones litter this corridor. Two dwarven Death Knights with battle axes created by Orcus slay anyone that tries to pass. They have killed many creatures during their short time here. They are supported by 10 Minotaur skeletons created from the bones of Baphomet’s followers.

Day 4: No encounter first part of day.

Slime Patch. This entire area is covered by a patch of green slime covering the entire passageway for a 100 feet. 15 Ochre Jellies wander the area climbing the walls and slithering on the ground. They move to consume any living things in the area. They are intelligent due to the presence of Juiblex and will work in a coordinated fashion.
Green Slime: Blindsight 30 feet. Drops when detects movement. If aware can avoid with DC 25 dexterity save to cross 100 feet without contact. Contact with slime does 1d10 acid damage. Damage occurs at start of each round until slime scraped off or destroyed. Destroyed by sunlight, any effect that cures disease, and any effect that deals cold, fire, or radiant damage destroys a patch of green slime. CR 5 (1800 due to amount of slime and high save).

Day 5: Underground Stream. Beneficial to party.
Demonic Scouts. 6 shadow demons scouting for a marilith war leader watch this stream invisible in the darkness. They shadow the party if they are unnoticed until they ambush with the marilith.
2nd half of day. A patch of yellow mold covers a 20 foot area of the corridor. (Page 105 DMG). CR 2 (450 xp).

Day 6: No encounter.

Webs. 2 giant spiders in web. CR ¼ (50 xp).

Day 7: No encounter for day.

Day 8: No encounter for day.

Day 9: No encounter for day.

Day 10: Webs. 4 giant spiders with giant fire beetles in webs. CR ¼ (50 xp).

Day 11: No encounter for day.

Day 12: No encounter for day.

Day 13: No encounter.

Boneyard. This is a high cavern (100 feet high) with many stalactites and stalagmites. At one point it was the lair of a beholder. Now it is the lair of a death tyrant made by Orcus. Many bones are strewn about making this place difficult terrain. The death tyrant can use lair actions in this area.

If the shadow demons are not spotted from the stream, they ambush the party here as well.

5 beholder zombies reside in this place made by Orcus and commanded to stop the progress of anything in this direction.

Treasure: There is a flame tongue sword amongst the bones of this place if the characters search.

Day 14: No encounter.

Demonic Assault. A marilith is leading a war party comprised of four hezrou, four vrock, and six chasme on a path of war. They are assaulting anything that crosses their path.
The shadow demons ambush if they are still alive.

DM Notes:
1. I felt I needed to boost the xp in the module. The travel encounters are less than trivial to a level 9 party. I also wanted to show more of the effects of the demon lords making the Underdark a more dangerous place. I worked on the idea that Orcus had been traveling in this direction killing anyone in his way and creating potent undead to control the areas he passed through. I tossed in a demonic warband with shadow demon scouts.

2. The death tyrant proved more of a threat in a well-designed lair. That is with them able to use their eye rays tactically rather than randomly. I'm tossing out the requirement to use a different lair action every turn as well. So many built in rules to make the game even easier on the players.

3. Mariliths aren't very dangerous in 5E. No spellcasting ability turned them into a pure melee brute with very few options.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Demon Lord Baphomet

This is my first modified Demon Lord. I plan to have my party fight most of them.

Change Log:
1. Gave resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing.

2. Limited Magic Immunity. Rather than give outright immunity to spells, I decided to give immunity to rider effects. My feeling is I still want casters to be able to deal damage, but not necessarily be able to use lower level slots to get lucky affecting demon lords with things like suggestion or knockback from Repelling Blast.

3. Bonus action Spell Casting. I want them to be able to maintain their damage output, while occasionally dispelling a spell. I included wall of stone because I thought it would be cool to allow Baphomet to construct a real maze while he fights, trapping opponents, and tracking them in the maze if they run. I imagine Baphomet would enjoy the fear he created trapping them in a maze.

4. Added Charisma save. Demon lords should not be easy to banish.

5. Maximum hit points per hit die. Demon lords are the supreme creature of their type.

6. Boosted this to 5. I think it should be N-1 where N equals the number of party members in your group. I have 6.

7. Added unholy water breath weapon as a little ode to the original D&D Baphomet.

8. Added breath weapon, roar, and cast spell Legendary Actions to provide more tactical options.

9. Added a reaction ability to boost his damage output.

--------------------

BAPHOMET Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil; Challenge 23 (50,000 XP)
Armor Class 22 (natural armor); Hit Points 460 (23d12 + 184); Speed 50ft.
STR 30 (+10) DEX 14 (+2) CON 26 (+8) INT 18 (+4) WIS 24 {+7) CHA 16 (+3)
Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +15, Wis +14, CHA +10
Skills Intimidation +17, Perception +14
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing.
Damage Immunities poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned.
Senses truesight 400 ft., passive Perception 24
Languages all, telepathy sight range

Charge. If Baphomet moves at least 10 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 22 (4d1 0) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 feet away and knocked prone.

Innate Spellcasting. Baphomet's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
At will as free action: detect magic
At will as bonus action: dispel magic, dominate beast, hunter’s mark, wall of stone.
At will as action: teleport.

Labyrinthine Recall. Baphomet can perfectly recall any path he has traveled, and he is immune to the maze spell.

Legendary Resistance (5/Day). If Baphomet fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Baphomet has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. Baphomet's weapon attacks are magical.

Reckless. At the start of his turn. Baphomet can gain advantage on all melee weapon attack rolls during that turn, but attack rolls against him have advantage until the start of his next turn.

Demon Lord Magic Immunity: Baphomet is immune to the additional effects besides damage of spells below 3rd level regardless of how the spell gains the additional ability. For example, he is immune to the knockback of eldritch blast with the Repelling Blast invocation.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Baphomet makes three attacks: one with Heartcleaver, one with his bite, and one with his gore attack.
Heartcleaver. Melee Weapon Attack:+ 17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (4d6 + 10) slashing damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: + 17 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d8 + 10) piercing damage.

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 10 ft. one target. Hit: 21 {2d10 + 10) piercing damage.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of Baphomet's choice within 120 feet of him and aware of him must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A frightened creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. These later saves have disadvantage if Baphomet is within line of sight of the creature. If a creature succeeds on any of these saves or the effect ends on it, the creature is immune to Baphomet's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Unholy Water Breath Weapon (Recharges 4-6): He can breathe out a gout of unholy water. Anyone struck takes 10d8 necrotic damage and must make a DC 18 Charisma save or be affected as though by the bane sell. The person gets an additional save to overcome the bane effect at the start of their turn. The bless spell is dispelled by this unholy water. He can spray to affect a line 40 feet long and 15 feet wide.

Summon Servants: Baphomet can summon one Goristro or 2d10 minotaurs.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Baphomet can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Baphomet regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Heartcleaver Attack. Baphomet makes a melee attack with Heartcleaver.
Charge (Costs 2 Actions). Baphomet moves up to his speed, then makes a gore attack.
Breath Weapon: Baphomet uses his Unholy Water Breath Weapon if it is recharged.
Cast spell: He can cast a spell as a Legendary Action.
Roar: Can roar causing Frightful Presence effect with disadvantage on the save.

Reaction: As a reaction to an attack that hits him, he can make a melee attack against that target.

LAIR ACTIONS
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Baphomet can take a lair action to cause one of the following magical effects:
• Baphomet seals one doorway or other entryway within the lair. The opening must be unoccupied. It is filled with solid stone until Baphomet is killed.
• Baphomet chooses a room within the lair that is no larger in any dimension than 100 feet. Until the next initiative count 20, gravity is reversed within that room. Any creatures or objects in the room when this happens fall in the direction of the new pull of gravity, unless they have some means of remaining aloft. Baphomet can ignore the gravity reversal if he's in the room, although he likes to use this action to land on a ceiling to attack targets flying near it.
• Baphomet casts mirage arcane, affecting a room within the lair that is no longer in any dimension than 100 feet. The effect ends on the next initiative count 20.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Travel to the Labyrinth

Continuation of travel to the Labyrinth:

Day 15: No encounter.

Boneyard. This is the lair of the lich Anaxis that wields a staff of the magi. He was a human mage sent to look into the disturbances with a party of adventurers leading an army. They ran into Orcus and he slew them all turning Anaxis into a lich and the paladin leading the army into a Death Knight. He commanded them to slay any that pass. Here they waited amongst the bones of their fallen army to slay any that sought to follow their new master.

Orcus did spend a great deal of time crafting a elaborate phylactery. The demon lord fashioned the skull of Anaxis's apprentice and lover into his phylactery. He cast it amongst the bones. Anaxis holding onto a small vestige of his former persona did not attempt to hide it.

When his phylactery is destroyed, his spirit appears. He says, "I thank you for saving me from damnation. This is the world that these demon lords will create. Orcus slew my companions and I turning us into abominations. We tried to stop him, but could not. His army of demons and undead was too great. May you fare better against this evil than I. Take my staff and use it well. It is a legendary staff of the magi. I did not have the chance to break it in an attempt to kill Orcus. If he should be weakened and you are close enough, break the staff and it may kill him. Unfortunately, Orcus destroyed the holy weapons of my companions and his hoard took the rest. May Mystra be with you." His spirit fades.

Treasure: spellbook with memorized sells and additional 2 additional spells each of 1st to 5th and one additional spell each from 6th to 9th, 1500 gold ruby dust component for forcecage.

Day 16: Crystal Clusters in the area.

A roper hunts here. It attacks the first character to come in range.

Day 17: No encounter.

Day 18: Boneyard. 20 dwarven wights reside in this area slain while trying to escape. Orcus sent them wandering. The bones are those of their comrades Orcus didn’t bother to raise.

Sinkhole. Random party member steps on sinkhole.

Purple worm made the whole. It attacks the party as they progress in this area trying to grab food and run.

Day 19: No encounter.

Day 20: No encounter first part of day.

Underground Stream. Deep gnome scouts stay hidden. They flee if spotted.

Day 21: No encounter first part of day.

Warning Sign. Demons present.

A balor attacks the party shortly after leaving this area. He feats nothing and attacks mercilessly.

Day 22: Webs. Empty. Spiders killed.

Three gas spores.

Day 23: No encounter for day.

Day 24: No encounter.

Second part of day carrion crawler.

Day 25: No encounter for day.

Day 26: No encounter.

Cliff and Ladder. Roper attacks anyone climbing up area.

Day 27: No encounter for day.

Day 28: No encounter first part of day.

Traders. Insane kuo-toa traders can be bargained with. They have come up a river leading from the Dark Lake.

Day 29: Boneyard. 100 humanoid skeletons and 20 minotaur skeletons reside in this area raised by Orcus.

No encounter second part of day.

Day 30: Arrived at Spire of the Horned King encounter.

DM Notes:
1. The base balor is a powerful brute. A solo balor isn't much of a fight. I highly recommend allies or adding some kind of spellcasting that provides additional defense. Though it is hard to judge given the power level of the PCs in the campaign.

2. The lich would be far more dangerous in its lair I believe. I would recommend retooling its spell list to include defensive options. High level PCs can plow through 135 hit points quickly without better defensive casting abilities.

3. The travel is over. Now I can build some encounter areas to stretch resources. Spread encounters that allow a lot of one shot daily bursts of power are hard to make difficult. If the party can unload on one encounter, not much can withstand that. It's much easier to build difficult encounter series that burn resources as they move from one encounter to the next.

Last edited:

Remove ads