Campaign Settings and DM Strictures, the POLL

On a scale from 1-5, with 1 being no restrictions by the DM and 5 being DM fiat, how free should a D

• 1. DM should not enforce any restrictions that are not in the rules books.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 2. DM should only enforce restrictions based on selections from the rules books (e.g., only PHB).

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 3. DM may make restrictions based on the campaign, so long as they are known ahead of time.

Votes: 55 32.9%
  • 4. DM may make restrictions for other reasons (ex.- no evil characters).

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • 5. DM may make restrictions on characters for any reason whatsoever, even after character creation.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I am just a caveman; your world frightens and confuses me.

Votes: 3 1.8%

I'd argue that it was Warcraft, but perhaps Warcraft took their approach from Dragonlance.

That seems likely. Gnomes are presented as tinker gnomes going all the way back to Dragonlance Chronicles in 1984. Warcraft actually toned them down quite a bit, comparatively. Like many of Krynn's races, they make for great narratives but generally pretty difficult in game due to the quirks that made up Dragonlance humor not translating well to the game. Gnomes, Kender, and Gully Dwarves are all interesting to read about, but just awful to play with just like Dragonlance Draconians are terrible to fight in game due to weapon lock. Good narrative choices making for bad mechanical results.

Mercule

Adventurer
I totally found the Dragonlance was responsible for everyone thinking gnomes = tinkers.
This. I didn't really mind gnomes as tinkers in DL, but I've had a standing rule for roughly 25 years that gnomes in any other setting spontaneously atomize if they start playing with tech, especially tech that fails for comic effect. If you want to play a gnome, you cast illusions, talk to squirrels, and play practical jokes. Unless it's Eberron. In Eberron, gnomes are creepy little Stazi informers with a monopoly on the phone company.

Tallifer

Hero
I love Gnomes. They feature in almost every part of my worlds.

gnome gypsy caravan.jpg

Remove ads