• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaigns with 2-3 playes only

GreyWizard77

First Post
I've recently decided to try on the DM's hat for the first time but I've only got 2 players available. I may get a 3rd, but I don't know his availability. Has anyone ever tried running modules with only 2 players? I'll be using purchased modules, possibly either Paizo's Gamemastery mods or GR Freeport Trilogy. Maybe a few WOTC or Dungeon nods. I'm not looking for a long-term compaign, at least not at first. Maybe a few connected modules with some pre-gens available. I'd like to keep my work to a minimum and focus on really knowing the modules and the rules.

I've thought about either:
1. Having each player have 2 charcters, thus ensuring that they can handle most mods written for 4 players. How complicated is this for the players? The players are also relatively new, but have played a few times in the past.
2. Gestalt charcters form Unearthed Arcana. Do these work well in these situations? Do I need to do any monster modification for the modules to work?

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Thanee

First Post
I wouldn't recommend multiple PCs...

Gestalt works fine with a lower number of players, but they are not that much tougher, so fights are still a possible problem. They will have the means to deal with most situations otherwise, though, which is good.

An NPC ally might also help.

Bye
Thanee

Asmor

First Post
Gestalt is practically tailor-made for small groups of PCs. It gives them more options and abilities, which is important since it's impossible to make a typical 4-man party (mage, warrior, thief, healer) with less than 4 people. At the same time, it doesn't make them much more powerful than a typical PC, since they're still limited to only one action per round (among other things).

I'd second Thanee's suggestion of an NPC ally. Just be careful that you don't let it overshadow the PCs, though. Clerics are typically perfect in this role: they don't do the "cool" stuff most of the time, it's a largely thankless job that few players really like playing, and it's easy for them to fade into the background during combat. In fact, you might even give the cleric a vow of pacifism or something. Oh, and you don't necessarily have to use a cleric, either... A druid could work, or a divine soul or even a healer from the Mini Handbook.

ShadowX

First Post
The thing that impacts balance most with less PCs is the fewer number of actions. This is why gestalt characters don't really address this problem because despite being more powerful, they don't overcome the massive enhancement to group effectiveness that another action every turn adds. This also why 3.0 haste was grossly broken.

I would recommend you run a character in order to reduce the disparity in actions. Having two characters for each player either dilutes the roleplaying or relegates one character to basically henchman status. Of course, you could also give them additional levels beyond what is recommended for the adventure. This has the side-effect of making battles slightly more interesting because both sides have more longevity due to PCs having more hp and tools to defend themselves and fewer actions to mow down the opposition.

Finally, encourage them to optimize their characters and be rather lenient in allowing content into your game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There was a time, long ago, back playing 1e AD&D, when my group typically ran with each player running multiple characters.

In terms of a tactical combat, it worked well enough. In terms of role-playing personalities, though, by my standards today the practice... blew chunks. For what I want out of RPGs today, I'd not advise it.

Decado

First Post
The majority of my 20+ years of being a GM has been with 2 players. I usually add a NPC ally to assist them. My current group has 3 players so I do not have to worry so much about adding an NPC ally, which I am glad.

Decado

Stormborn

Explorer
Barring a Con game I have never had more than 3 players, and have had only 2 for the last year or so. With 2 players we run 2 PCs each and its generally not a problem, although I would recommend not having two full casters to one player. Picking the right spell for the job can bog things down a little bit when you have too think for two characters.

When we had 3 players we just ran 1 PC each, with kindly NPCs to help out, usually in the form of healing. This hasnt been a problem, although I have come to realize that we, both the other DM and myself, tend to overcompensate for fewer players and we wind up where most encounters assume party level +1.

If you are running modules I would make sure they aren't too diffiuclt. One designer's
"for a party of 3rd level" can be vastly different than anothers. Some writers, and companies, seem to assume 5+ party members rather than just 4. Others seem to want to be "ol' skool" even if they don't say so. Just read through them careful. If the players are not terribly experianced then what you might want to do is start them with 1 PC each of 2nd level and throw in either 1 NPC with PC class levels for just about anything other than pure combat or 2 NPC warriors then run them through a decent 1st level adventure. If they succeed dont give them enough XP to level up and then and run them through one for 2nd level and see how they do. By this point you should know if they need to roll up a 2nd PC each or just keep playing as is.

I would not run gestalt with inexperianced players. Keeping up with 1 class' abilites can be hard enough when you are new, doubling those can bewilder a new player with too many options each turn. Playing 2 PCs at least splits those choices between two different characters so that things arent so complicated.

Voadam

Legend
I play in a non-gestalt solo game and it is a ton of fun. My character (a ranger wizard eldritch knight) is well designed for solo play though with recharge magic, healing magic, utility magics, good combat skill, and well rounded skill and ability set. He does very poorly in a power comparison with the rest of his party who I DM in the same Co-DM'd setting.

Gestalt does well in making sure multiple party niches in a small party are covered without making characters frailer. A 2 PC party gestalted is still not on the same level as a 4 person party for power.

I hate playing multiple characters in the same game so if it was me I'd run it with just the two and adjust as you need to.

Freeport is more investigation than fighting so it works well if you tone down the combats a little.

Alternatively bump up the PCs in levels, give them higher point buy, gestalt, increased PC magic wealth, and free LA are ways to bump up their power to compensate.

Start the PCs off at 2nd level and give them both the Leadership feat for free. Personally I find 3 players + DM to be optimal as it allows for a more intimate game with lots of roleplaying.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Most games that I've run or played in have been one GM + 3 players. And really, it shakes out just right. If your GM understands that the rules aren't meant to serve as a straight jacket, there isn't a need for multiple PCs for each player or GMPCs. Just use common sense when planning/balancing encounters and you'll be good to go.

Remove ads