• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a 1st level wizard cast spells from a staff?

Ariddrake

First Post
Do you have to be a certain level to cast, lets say a fireball spell off of a staff? I have read the PHB but for some reason I am having a mental block. Thanks.

Magic Slim

First Post
IIRC, a staff is treated the same as a wand for purposes of being to cast a spell from it or not. So, that would be a "no" on your question...

Slim

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Ariddrake said:
Do you have to be a certain level to cast, lets say a fireball spell off of a staff?
No. A staff uses the spell trigger method of activation (DMG, page 213), so a 1st level wizard can use a staff with any spell on his spell list in the PH. So your 1st level wizard can make full use of a staff of fire, for instance.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Ariddrake said:
Do you have to be a certain level to cast, lets say a fireball spell off of a staff? I have read the PHB but for some reason I am having a mental block. Thanks.

No. Staffs and wands can be used without any special level requirement. Other items - especially scrolls - you have to have the minimum ability score and level to cast the spell or you have to make some rolls

Ariddrake

First Post
How much damage would a typical fireball spell from a staff do? Would it be the minimum neede to cast the spell (5d6)? Thanks.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Ariddrake said:
How much damage would a typical fireball spell from a staff do? Would it be the minimum neede to cast the spell (5d6)? Thanks.

Yes. Magic items are typically created to use the lowest possible level.

But in 3.5, when using Staffs, you can use your values rather than the standard ones, if they are better (so a 10th-level wizard will get a 10d6 fireball!)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
KaeYoss said:
Yes. Magic items are typically created to use the lowest possible level.

But in 3.5, when using Staffs, you can use your values rather than the standard ones, if they are better (so a 10th-level wizard will get a 10d6 fireball!)
Staffs are at least CL 8 in 3.5, BTW. (DMG, p.243)

So 8d6 is probably the minimum for such a fireball...

Fenlock

First Post
As i recall CL8 is the minimum level you need to be to create a staff. but you can still create it at a lower CL.

Which is not good, because your 10th level wizard can then create a staff of fireballs at a lower caster level (say 1st) for the reduced price in gold and xp. but it would still produce 10d6 fireballs.

please, somebody correct me in this.

/F

Fenlock said:
As i recall CL8 is the minimum level you need to be to create a staff. but you can still create it at a lower CL.

Right
Which is not good, because your 10th level wizard can then create a staff of fireballs at a lower caster level (say 1st) for the reduced price in gold and xp. but it would still produce 10d6 fireballs.
please, somebody correct me in this.
/F

Okay. Yes, you can lower the caster level, but only to the minimum required to cast the spell or 8th level (the minimum allowed by the SRD), whichever's lower. The 10th level creator would still get 10d6 fireballs when using an 8th level stff (something I'd failed to notice in 3.5) which is a hefty bonus. But to a 1st level character, he'd be better off buying a 10th level wand. Not that 8d6 probably isn't enough anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads