• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Barbarian/Bard inspire courage while raging?

LokiDR

First Post
Ukyo said:
I really think the supernatural nature of the bardic power " inspire courage" kills the doubt, if its a rule issue. If a supernatural ability can be used while in rage, this bardic power can too, since its also an SA.
So you would allow command undead while in rage? It is a supernatural ability that requires no skill ckeck.

As you MagicRub, perhaps you forgot you posted this:
You CAN use supernatural abilities while in a rage. Inspire courage is a supernatural ability, therefore you can use Inspire courage while in a rage.

There is no rule that says all supernatural abilities can be used in rage. Any one who says that is blowing smoke.

Magic Rub

First Post
JULES
There's a passage I got memorized.
Ezekiel 25:17.
"The path of the
righteous man is beset on all sides
by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men.
Blessed is he who, in the name of
charity and good will, shepherds
the weak through the valley of the
darkness. For he is truly his
brother's keeper and the finder of
lost children.
And I will strike down upon thee
with great vengeance and furious
anger those who attempt to poison
and destroy my brothers. And you
will know I am the Lord when I lay
my vengeance upon thee."
:D ;) :p :D

Last edited:

Magic Rub

First Post
In regards to you, there wasn't one. It was for Particle_Man.

But if you would like a reply.

No, I hadn't forgotten that I had posted that. I had infact clarified my position in a later post. The post you have noted is admittedly a generalisation, that again I feel I've explained. I'm sorry that I may have blown smoke, if you're sorry for saying that I had been blowing smoke (which I find more offensive then the term bull pucky.) ;) :D. Again, I'm simply stating an opinion/ruling based on what printed facts I have to go on (as I've noted & clarified above).

:)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Displaying extremes of personal bravery in a bloody raging way would be one very interesting way to inspire bravery in allies ..

For me it makes good story.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve never played or seen this class combo in person. Despite 3.5 being my favorite edition of D&D, I don’t think I ever will at this point in time.

But after reading the entire thread, I think I’m persuaded the abilities can be used simultaneously.

Greenfield

Adventurer
The Barbarian's Rage description specifically forbids the character from using most skills, as well as any action that requires thought or concentration.

PHB Page 25 said:
While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

The section on Bardic Music says that Inspire Courage requires three or more ranks in Perform to use it. Since the Barbarian can't use the Perform skill while raging (It's Charisma based), that combinations seems like it violates RAW.

Final answer, of course, is to ask your DM.

Remove ads