• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can A Cat CLose an Open Door?

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Fieari said:
A cat cannot close any door. This has nothing to do with physical ability and more to do with the fundamental nature of the universe. My cats open doors all the time (as long as the catch isn't in place), and some of those doors could definitly be classified as heavy wooden doors. But they will never, ever, ever close them. I highly suspect that the mere existence of any closed door is seen as an insult to cat kind.

A cat familiar may be able to overcome this inherant nature and close a door.

As a cat owner,

I have to agree with Fieari here. No cat would willing close a door. The fact that a piece of their territory has been sealed off from them drives them to whining fits. The only condition that might allow this is if the door had to be closed in order to stop them from getting wet. Water is the only thing I know of that cats hate more than a closed door.

Hi.

Jack.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Fieari said:
A cat cannot close any door. This has nothing to do with physical ability and more to do with the fundamental nature of the universe. My cats open doors all the time (as long as the catch isn't in place), and some of those doors could definitly be classified as heavy wooden doors. But they will never, ever, ever close them. I highly suspect that the mere existence of any closed door is seen as an insult to cat kind.

A cat familiar may be able to overcome this inherant nature and close a door.
Bingo

Ravlek

First Post
The real question is what happens after...

Upon closing the door the cat will commence to yowling and pawing at the door, causing the caster to make a will save (DC=10) every round, with a cumulative -2 modifier, until they open the door.
After closing the door a second time the cat will once again raise a fuss causing the other party members to ma.....

"One false move, wizard, and your familiar gets it!"

Finally, we know the rest of the story. :uhoh:

Klaus

First Post
My cat, who is 7 years old and weighs circa 13 lbs. (he's a big one) is more of an Xtreme Kat. He likes running down a corridor and then jumping on all fours, banging his entire weight against a door with his paws, like a skateboarder going in a half-pipe goes up and down.

So, if the question is "CAN a cat close a door", I'd say yes.

As for the "WOULD a cat close a door"... Well, that's another debate.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Sammael said:
A cat has a Str of 3. A tiny quadruped with Str 3 can carry up to 22.5 lbs. I'd consider a heavy wooden door to weigh around 30 lbs.; since the cat would have no problem dragging up to 112.5 lbs. (according to RAW), it stands to reason that it could push a 30 lbs. - door shut in one round.

LOL and a cat can also kill a commoner, apparently.

i think cats *can* close doors as easily as they can open them, they just have no reason to most of the time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads