• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can A Cat CLose an Open Door?

Clueless

Webmonkey
Ok- cat's aren't *always* predictable. I routinely have to break my roomie's cat out of the bathroom where she often (god knows why) shuts the door on herself and locks herself in. I think she's trying to stretch against the door and shutting it.

A decently hung door (hinges work well, it doesn't drag on the floor) should be easily shutable by a cat. Especially if they get a running start. A not so well constructed door - one that has a lot of friction (which is where weight becomes more of an issue), won't be.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Yup my cat can close the outside door of my house. It doesn't latch but if he just put his weight on it it would close.

He can even open a sliding glass door if he can get his paw in the door. He is a pretty big cat. He has shut himself in the bathroom lots of times.

Now my roommates cat is small and tiny and actualy jumps from the book case to the TOP of the door and sits there and watched me at my computer. She also likes to sit on the shower curtian rod.

Belen

Adventurer
Fieari said:
A cat cannot close any door. This has nothing to do with physical ability and more to do with the fundamental nature of the universe. My cats open doors all the time (as long as the catch isn't in place), and some of those doors could definitly be classified as heavy wooden doors. But they will never, ever, ever close them. I highly suspect that the mere existence of any closed door is seen as an insult to cat kind.

A cat familiar may be able to overcome this inherant nature and close a door.

No true. Our cat, Gracie, closes doors all the time. She jumps on the back of them and closes it, then she whines to be let out of the room.

Before I met my wife (whose allergic).

I had three Black Main Coon Cats. The 'small' was 20 lbs and the biggest one was nearing 30lbs. Of the cat breeds, Main Coons are strong. Mine could not only open/shut a door, they could open the fridge. (Very annoying by the way). I tried a cement block in front of the fridge. Nope. I had to put a tilted chair under the handle so they couldn't pull it open.

Of course they also thought they were lap cats and would charge & leap into your lap. You throw a 30 lb of sugar into your lap at 20 mph & see how you feel.

Plus. 70 lbs of cat does natsy thing to 3 oz of mice. My cats were VERY upset that their new toy broke.

Evilboy

First Post
Rel said:
I think that a Familar Cat could almost certainly close an open door.

I think that a Schroedinger's Cat either would or would not. You just never know.

"Is my cat going to close that open door? Does my cat exist? If there is a box that might or might not have a poison dart trap atta...."

"Dunno, roll d20."

D&D >>> Quantum mechanics theory.

tonym

First Post
Regarding the dragging of weight...

My mom had a cat that dragged to her backyard a severed deer head, complete with antlers. A hunter had killed the deer in the woods and cut off its head, along with whatever other parts he didn't want. The cat found the unwanted mess and dragged the head home, over half-a-mile.

Tony M

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads