• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can a hasted bladesinger cast a cantrip with the haste extra action

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
No. The "one weapon attack only" restriction clearly means that the attack action from haste can only be used for making a single weapon attack and not anything else you could otherwise do with an attack action.
In such a case, I think they'd word it as making a weapon attack (like with TWF, for example).

But, yeah, RAW it can only be used for a single weapon attack, but I can certainly see some unorthodox readings.

I know haste can normally only be used for the attack action "one weapon attack only" but when a bladesinger 6th level or higher "..... whenever you take the Attack action on your turn ... you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks."

So can she take the haste weapon attack and then promptly cast a cantrip "in place of" the attack?
Yes ONLY for bladesinger
"whenever you take the Attack action on your turn ... you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks"

1 Is a atack action.
2 "one weapon attack only" "one of those attacks." one attack is enough

All conditions have been met

It would have to be at the correct range for the weapon in hand. Otherwise you would not be able to attack and there would be no attack to switch to cantrip.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
I wanna say that was an epic fail on my part by reading part of that title as Bladesinger cat at first, but THANK GOODNESS I have the campaign guide to Animal Adventures: Gullet Cove to deflect said epic fail.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I disagree. There is more to it than that. The Bladesinger's Extra Attack feature lets them attack twice with the Attack Action on their turn. Then it says "Moreover, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks."
So with the Haste Action you cannot use the Extra Attack feature. Because you can't use the first part of the feature there is no way to use the second part. "... in place of one of those attacks" is impossible because you don't have "those attacks" granted by Extra Attack.
I agree with you.

RAW, Haste lets you take an Attack action. Literally - "That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action." That directly implies "That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only) action."

So Haste - RAW - is saying you are taking an Attack action. That can seem to offer a chink through which a cantrip might enter - but then Haste imposes a very specific constraint on that action - "one weapon attack only". It does not then matter what else you might ordinarily do with your Attack action - turn the King into a pear, for instance - none of that matters! All you can do is use a weapon to make one attack.

So Haste - RAW - is saying you are taking an Attack action. That can seem to offer a chink through which a cantrip might enter - but then Haste imposes a very specific constraint on that action - "one weapon attack only". It does not then matter what else you might ordinarily do with your Attack action - turn the King into a pear, for instance - none of that matters! All you can do is use a weapon to make one attack.
Not quite. (one weapon attack only) can mean (one weapon attack only) or (one weapon attack only). In other words, is could be saying "you can't make more than one weapon attack" rather than "you can't use if for anything other than a weapon attack". The language used is completely ambiguous. In English, there is no way to distinguish between the two meanings.

Remove ads