• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Simulacrum cast spells?

Dwarmaj

First Post
Simulacrum

Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 12 hours
Range: Touch
Effect: One duplicate creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Simulacrum creates an illusory duplicate of any creature. The duplicate creature is partially real and formed from ice or snow. The duplicate appears to be exactly the same as the original, but there are differences: The simulacrum has only 51% to 60% (50%+1d10%) of the hit points, knowledge (including level, skills, and speech), and personality of the real creature. Creatures familiar with the original might detect the ruse with a successful Spot check. The character must make a Disguise check when the character casts the spell to determine how good the likeness is.

At all times the simulacrum remains under the character's absolute command. No special telepathic link exists, so command must be exercised in some other manner. The simulacrum has no ability to become more powerful. It cannot increase its level or abilities. If destroyed, it reverts to snow and melts instantly into nothingness. A complex process requiring at least 1 day, 100 gp per hit point, and a fully equipped magical laboratory can repair damage to the simulacrum.

Material Component: Worth at least 100 gp.

XP Cost: 1,000 XP.

Under knowledge it mentions level, skills, and speech, but says nothing about spell use or feats of the creator.

If a simulacrum does have spell use and feats, can they cast spells that cost exp or create items (if they know the spell or feat)?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I've always thought yes they can cast spells, no to XP.

Then again the only person in my campaign world whoose detailed out to have cast the spell is a creepy wizard who uses it to "possess" the women he fancies.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I've always thought NO, but on rereading the spell, it is unclear.

It says the Sim gets 51-60% of the knowledge (including Level) of the original. It does not specifically say they gain a class or class abilities, but if they don't, what does having a Level mean?

A 20th level wizard casts the spell on himself and gets a 15th level Sim. Is the Sim a 15th level Wizard, or a 15th level Misc Entity?

I'm going to have to go with it's a 15th level wizard - otherwise it makes no sense.

The obvious thing, then, to do is have the Sim study your spellbook and support you in combat as a free henchman.

This, to me, goes against the spirit (but not the letter) of the spell. I think it should be used primarily for desception and subterfuge. In my campaign, an evil cult was kidnapping royalty and leaving Sims in their place, who would promptly dismiss anybody who might detect that they were fakes. Then the cult was in position to snatch Ultimate Power! Bwahahaha! Or you could create a Sim so that people aren't aware of a person's absence. I.e., create a Sim of a public figure so he is free to go adventure and the people still think he's in town.

etc...

If I were writing D&D 3.5, I would remove mention of Level from the Sim spell description.

Tzarevitch

First Post
This is another one on my list of spells that could use some clarification. I always interpreted the description to say that it cannot cast spells. The description states with some specificity what a simulacrum does get and spellcasting and feats are not among them.

Tzarevitch

MerakSpielman

First Post
Yes, clarification. What the blazes does it mean when it says the Sim gets 51-60% of the real creature's Level?

I've seen munchkins do some really, really, bad things with this spell and their extra magical items, with the pro-spellcasting interpretation.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
MerakSpielman said:
What the blazes does it mean when it says the Sim gets 51-60% of the real creature's Level?

It means they get a portion of class abilities, too. That includes spell casting!

the Jester

Legend
I agree with the three legged cat over there; in fact, simulacrum is gonna be an important piece of a trap in the next coupla games I run (heh heh...)

MerakSpielman

First Post
Piratecat said:

It means they get a portion of class abilities, too. That includes spell casting!

But does it mean that it gets all the abilities of the reduced level? Or does it lose 40% of the knowledge/abilities/skills of each individual level? (i.e., only a 60% chance of having each particular feat, each particular spell, etc).

Zhure

First Post
It'd be epic, but Maximize that Simulacrum for a flat 60%. Or Empower it for a extra around 5%... but either way, I just reduce the levels and that fixes all the weirdness.

Greg

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It really is unclear.

I take the original level and reduce it to 51-60%. That slashes skills, spells, abilities, and the like. Then I reduce the simulacrum's vocabulary by about half when talking, and I'm all set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads