• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Simulacrum cast spells?

Dwarmaj

First Post
MerakSpielman said:

But does it mean that it gets all the abilities of the reduced level? Or does it lose 40% of the knowledge/abilities/skills of each individual level? (i.e., only a 60% chance of having each particular feat, each particular spell, etc).

Unless there's errata or further clarification, I believe an empowered Simulacrum would be a 9th level spell and be 75.5%-90% of the original.

Magic Missle is 1d4+1 empowered is (2-5 * 1.5)
Simulacrum is 1d10+50% empowered is (51%-60% *1.5)

An Incantatrix with Instant Metamagic could create a duplicate with 100% of the originals abilities (scarry).:eek:

I think that allowing spell use is within the wording of the spell, but can unbalance things. What Wizard wouldn't like to have a copy of himself for spell support or even setting off traps. :D

Last edited:

Tzarevitch

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
Yes, clarification. What the blazes does it mean when it says the Sim gets 51-60% of the real creature's Level?

I've seen munchkins do some really, really, bad things with this spell and their extra magical items, with the pro-spellcasting interpretation.

I have too. The description (as poorly written as it is) seems to leave out both spellcasting and feats. If they intended for it to be able to cast spells, they would've stated so specifically, after all, the most frequent use is to make a simulacrum of the mage himself.

One of the most overlooked uses of a simulacrum is for intelligence gathering. In my previous campaign the PCs injured a badguy who escaped. They then made a simulacrum of him and could find his favorite haunts and knew the spells he knew (he was a sorcerer) to 60% accuracy. If they needed to up the odds, they'd make multiple simulacra. (Honestly, the xp cost is WAY too low for this spell, especially if you rule that the similarcum can cast spells.)

The PCs then took samples from people they wanted to know information about (usually foes who escaped in a fight, or anyone who they were interested in and could get a sample from). The results were pretty horrific because there is no good way to block this sort of information gathering other than to prevent the PCs getting enough of a sample to make it in the first place. There are only so many times that you can rule that the information the PCs seek is not in the 51-60% of the information that the similacrum knows.

Also, which 51-60% of the levels does the simplacrum get? Take for example a Ftr2, Rog2, Wiz5, Red Wizard3,Guild Mage3, Loremaster 5, exactly which levels does the simplacrum get?

Tzarevitch

Last edited:

RuminDange

First Post
Simulacrum and Spellcasting

Actually a simulacrum can cast spells depending on the final %level of the original. For clarification to this you only have to look in Dungeon#89 in the Adventure "Headless".
This adventure uses 4 such simulacrum of a Derro Necromancer - Lore Master each representing 58% of the original main NPC. The stat block lists the spells prepared all the way up to 4th Level spells. Even the possessions listed the diamond dust components needed to cast the Stoneskin spell.
So even though the spell itself doesn't say the sim can cast spells, WOTC, who published this one, did allow such therefore as a DM I would allow it, and have used this to great effect in my current campaign where the King's advisor has 7 such sims of himself just to be able to do the things he needs or wants to do.:D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Unless there's errata or further clarification, I believe an empowered Simulacrum would be a 9th level spell and be 75.5%-90% of the original.

And a double-empowered Simulacrum in an epic slot? 102%-120% of the original?

-Hyp.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Re: Simulacrum and Spellcasting

...Or have a prepared Empowered Simulacrum and use a Rod of Greater Empower

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Have you guys seen the small print on Bruce Cordell's recent psionic version of the spell? It's in the superb new pdf Mindscapes, over at Monte's site. Note the last paragraph in particular.

Impresa
Metacreative (Intelligence)
Level: Psion 5
Display: Material (see text)
Manifestation Time: One hour
Range: 0 feet
Effect: One rough-duplicate creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 9

Impresa creates a rough copy of any creature you have physically touched whose normal Hit Dice value does not exceed your own character level × 1.5 (round down) and whose size does not exceed your own size category plus one. You create the impresa from astral matter. (It is considered a construct.) The impresa appears generally the same as the original, but differences exist: The impresa has only 20 percent of the hit points, knowledge (including level, skills, and personal memories), and personality of the real creature.

Creatures familiar with the original detect the ruse with a successful opposed Sense Motive check versus your prerolled Bluff check each time they interact with the impresa in any meaningful way. You must make a Bluff check with a +10 circumstance bonus when you manifest the power to determine how good the likeness is.

At all times the impresa remains under your absolute command. No special telepathic link exists, so you must command it verbally. The impresa has no ability to become more powerful. It cannot increase its level or abilities. It does not maintain knowledge of sensitive information, such as passwords or secret plots. If destroyed, it reverts to ectoplasm and evaporates.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Simulacrum and Spellcasting

...Or have a prepared Empowered Simulacrum and use a Rod of Greater Empower

I thought of that one, but I don't have my Tome and Blood at work, so I couldn't check if it was possible :)

Now, if a Simulacrum can cast XP-component spells, and you're 20th level, 120% of your level is 24th... and he can borrow your Rod, cast a Double-Empowered Simulacrum, and create a 28th level Simulacrum, who can in turn create a 33rd...

Woo!

"Nobody knows when the Simulacra developed free will. All that is recorded is that one day, with no warning, they were everywhere; outnumbering us, and each more powerful than any wizard that had ever lived. Those few of us born of woman who survive fight a losing war against the Simulacra armies..."

-Hyp.

Last edited:

reichtfeld

First Post
"Nobody knows when the Simulacra developed free will. All that is recorded is that one day, with no warning, they were everywhere; outnumbering us, and each more powerful than any wizard that had ever lived. Those few of us born of woman who survive fight a losing war against the Simulacra armies..."
(humming the Terminator theme) Rgr20 John Connor was not going to let humanity lay down and die. No. He taught them to fight, and fight they did against the level 10,000 wizard simulacrums.

This and other exploits can be seen on Metamagic Gone Wild! Order now!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Piratecat said:
Have you guys seen the small print on Bruce Cordell's recent psionic version of the spell? It's in the superb new pdf Mindscapes, over at Monte's site. Note the last paragraph in particular.

Impresa

power looks cool. Anyone know when this goes print or if it does. I hate PDF, but I'd buy the hard copy version in an instant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads