• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Wizard learn a spell for a level they can't cast yet?

Denaes

First Post
I was over on d20srd.org and it doesn't really say. Of course you can't learn spells from schools you're barred from learning.

I don't see why not really.

In many D&D video games you're allowed to attempt to learn a spell at any level, but even if you learn it, you can't cast it until you reach the proper level.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The 2 free new spells that a wizard gains "...must be of spell levels she can cast."

There's no such restriction on learning a spell from a scroll and copying it into your spellbook. Of course, the wizard cannot replace the spell (but could copy it again).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You can scribe a spell from a scroll, for example, of any level.

Your two free spells per level, however, must be of a level you can cast.

-Hyp.

Denaes

First Post
Sorry for that confusion. Yes, I meant scribing it from a book/scroll, not upon gaining a level.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Chimera

First Post
Pretty much cleared up above, though I've never actually seen a GM allow someone to scribe a higher level spell into their spell book.

As a House Rule, since I do not use Spell Books, I allow people to "know" spells one level above what they can currently cast.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Chimera said:
Pretty much cleared up above, though I've never actually seen a GM allow someone to scribe a higher level spell into their spell book.
There's no reason to disallow it (it cannot be abused), but any GM allows it by default since it's the rule. :)
Thanee said:
That's actually pretty useful, when you plan to pick up Spell Mastery.
How so? You still can't prepare spells outside of your spell slots.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
How so? You still can't prepare spells outside of your spell slots.

Well, its less of a "waste" if you can pick higher level spells that will eventually become useful to have as spells for the feat.

Benimoto

First Post
As the other posters have mentioned, this is legal in the base rules. Furthermore, wizard characters I have played have done this. It's useful if you're playing in a campaign where you don't normally have access to a lot of other spellbooks. When you gain access to one, you copy not only the spells you can cast now, but also the ones you think you may want in the future.

Provided you have the money for materials, of course. Copying higher level spells can be a big drain on a wizard of modest resources.

Last edited:

Vegepygmy

First Post
Chimera said:
I've done it many times, and never had a GM question it. <shrug>

Remove ads