• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I Ignore An Opponent?

genshou

First Post
If you wanted to ignore an opponent in order to prohibit both them and the flanking ally from getting the benefits of flanking, sure I'd grant it! Here's why:

In exchange for causing both combatants to lose their +2 attack bonus and ability to SA, you are treating the ignored opponent as effectively invisible. This gives that opponent total concealment against all your attacks (and in fact, I would personally prohibit any attacks against them if you are truly ignoring them). Also, they get a +2 bonus to attack rolls, and you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC against them (once again ushering in [sneak attacks]). This could be useful when ignoring a mook in order to prevent the rogue villain from using SA against you, but in that kind of situation, I hope the villain has some other tricks up his/her/its sleeve!

Last edited:

dungeon

First Post
ignoring an enemy in the dungeon

ignoring a person and / or creature is possable. but when i ignore a enemy i do it to show that i have power over him or to bluff.

hey squire james u have the same avatar as me rock on! :D

:) remember... "cuz if you don't you will never explore the dungeon" :)

FickleGM

Explorer
My take - If you ignore an opponent, you are in essence allowing him to do whatever he wants to you (within reason, obviously).

You are not, however, helpless. Therefore, I would not allow a Coup de Grace.

Since you are not actively opposing his actions, he would get an AoO each round (if missile attacks or spellcasting in melee create an AoO, then ignoring an opponent should also).

You would also be considered flat-footed in regards to that opponent (you are not using your dexterity to defend, therefore, only armor, natural armor, etc. would apply). This also means that the ignored individual cannot be AoO'ed by the ignoring character.

The ignored opponent would also gain all flanking bonuses.

This would be perfectly useful for a heavily armored/naturally armored individual fighting a relatively powerful opponent and a relatively weak opponent. For example, if my full plate wearing Ftr8 was battling a Rog6 and a Brd6 (obviously the character wouldn't know for certain, but could get an idea after a couple rounds), I may ignore the Brd6 and focus all my efforts on the Rog6. Sure, the Brd6 will get an extra attack on me each round, but I would negate the Rog6's sneak attack and should be able to defeat him quickly.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
FickleGM said:
My take - If you ignore an opponent, you are in essence allowing him to do whatever he wants to you (within reason, obviously).

You are not, however, helpless. Therefore, I would not allow a Coup de Grace.
How can you define the scope of what is "within reason" if you are ignoring them? "Obviously" that indicates that you are still monitoring them & thus you are not ignoring them at all.

FickleGM

Explorer
FreeTheSlaves said:
How can you define the scope of what is "within reason" if you are ignoring them? "Obviously" that indicates that you are still monitoring them & thus you are not ignoring them at all.

What I meant by that is you are not able to carefully slit the person's throat (they are still moving about fighting the other opponent), you cannot read his palm, you cannot give him a kiss (on the lips), you cannot shave his beard, etc. It isn't that the ignoring character is monitoring the opponent as much as it is his activity in combat with the other opponent makes certain actions very difficult (unlike a held/paralyzed/sleeping opponent)...

I hope that clears up my ambiguity, sorry.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
What this all means is that their needs to be a condition that clarifies what 'Ignore an opponant' exactly means.

While at it, we might want to consider ways to rebalance the rogue & barbarian (with improved uncanny dodge) that have had their class powers blunted.

FickleGM

Explorer
FreeTheSlaves said:
What this all means is that their needs to be a condition that clarifies what 'Ignore an opponant' exactly means.

While at it, we might want to consider ways to rebalance the rogue & barbarian (with improved uncanny dodge) that have had their class powers blunted.

I think that uncanny dodge works on the premise that the barbarian and rogue are able to react very quickly to surprise/invisible attack and retain their dexterity bonus. Ignoring an opponent is a conscious decision to not worry about his actions. Therefore, when the ignored opponent attacks, the rogue/barbarian would not concern himself with defense and would lose dexterity bonus.

While it would be nice to have an official action (I believe in this case it is an action, not a condition), I do think that AoO/Flat-footed/Flanked should suffice for my purposes.

FickleGM

Explorer
On Second Thought

I think that I could see allowing Uncanny Dodge to work as written. Even unconsciously, the rogue and barbarian step aside from attacks, even when delivered by ignored opponents (it is an exceptional ability, after all). The AoO/Flat-footed/Flanked conditions are still in effect (I know, flanked isn't actually a condition), but Uncanny Dodge grants a flat-footed character his dexterity bonus to AC.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Soooooo...why would you "ignore" an opponent, anyway?

Reading this thread, I don't see why you would.

Edit: More detail...if you're trying to ignore flanking, that doesn't actually work...IIRC, a recent Sage ruling states that an invisible entity could not provide flanking bonuses to another entity it otherwise would, because flanking was determined by the attackers cooperating, not by the defender being distracted.

Brad

Last edited:

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
cignus_pfaccari said:
Soooooo...why would you "ignore" an opponent, anyway?

Reading this thread, I don't see why you would.

Brad
So that if you are flanked by a rogue & a summoned monster you can ignore the summoned monster & thus halve the rogues power just like that.

Remove ads