D&D 5E Can I Polymorph myself?

PnPgamer

Explorer
Where does it say you have to have a certain Int/Wis/Cha to cast spells?

Nowhere, but trying to speak verbal components is hard when all you can say is baaah, hard to do somatic hand gestures with cloven hooves, and really hard to use material components that have melded into your sheep form.

Ways to circle around this exist, however. Some allow keeping up concentration spells, and and sorcerers have acess to metamagic that remove somatic and verbal components of the spell.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Nowhere, but trying to speak verbal components is hard when all you can say is baaah, hard to do somatic hand gestures with cloven hooves, and really hard to use material components that have melded into your sheep form.

Yeah I got that, but I was questioning the OP's statement about the 8 in the ability score being required.

You can change form and maintain concentrations, you can't cast spells because it says you can't use any gear/equipment (so no material components or foci) and it says you can't cast anything that needs verbal or somatic components.

You can have 1's in Int/Wis/Cha and still maintain concentration.

The only things that break concentration are.
Damage (forces a check DC 10 or half damage use higher)
Casting another concentration spell (automatic)
Environmental hazards (DM can force a check DC 10)
Being incapacitated or killed (automatic)

Period end of story, those 4 things.

Changing form, reducing ability scores, conditions like (restrained, blinded, charmed, frightened), none of these things call for a concentration check.

So if some creature attacks you with a toxic cloud that makes you suffer the blind and poison condition but does no damage, you maintain concentration. If some spell turns you into a newt either by your own hand or that of another you maintain concentration. If some creature drains your casting stat down to that of an animal you maintain concentration.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Yeah I got that, but I was questioning the OP's statement about the 8 in the ability score being required.
Yeah no problem we are saying the same thing here anyway. Polymorphing doesn't interfere with concentration, but trying to cast new spells in a form is near impossible.

Last edited:

Ogre1/2

First Post
Good afternoon. A question? If you are under the influence of a spell effecting yourself from a 'Contingency' spell, i.e. 'Stoneskin' that requires Concentration. Do you still need to maintain 'Concentration'. My thought: is 'Contingency' like a scroll, or a potion? It is my understanding that with a scroll or potion there is no need for 'Concentration'. Or, even though you cast the spell up to 10 days ago, you still need to maintain 'Concentration'?

Wondering your thoughts/ideas on this.

Thank you.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Good afternoon. A question? If you are under the influence of a spell effecting yourself from a 'Contingency' spell, i.e. 'Stoneskin' that requires Concentration. Do you still need to maintain 'Concentration'. My thought: is 'Contingency' like a scroll, or a potion? It is my understanding that with a scroll or potion there is no need for 'Concentration'. Or, even though you cast the spell up to 10 days ago, you still need to maintain 'Concentration'?

Wondering your thoughts/ideas on this.

Thank you.

With a scroll you still need to maintain Concentration, but with a potion the spell is entirely self-contained. (Spell scrolls are like "partially cast" spells, and you complete the casting as you read it from the scroll.)

I don't see anything that would change how Concentration works with a spell cast via Contingency - you are still the one maintaining concentration on the spell, which means you would need to end any previous concentration spell that you were maintaining, and would need to drop the spell cast via contingency if you wanted to cast a new concentration spell.

The only way I know to concentrate on two spells at once is by being a sorcerer and using twin spell metamagic as you cast it.

The only things that break concentration are.
Damage (forces a check DC 10 or half damage use higher)
Casting another concentration spell (automatic)
Environmental hazards (DM can force a check DC 10)
Being incapacitated or killed (automatic)

Period end of story, those 4 things.

Not end of story.

Other things that break concentration:
Barbarian Rage (automatic).

Other things that require concentration, thus breaking your current concentration:
Using certain abilities (e.g. Draconic Presence, Revised Ranger Primeval Awareness).
Readying a spell.
Casting any spell with a Cast Time longer than a single action or reaction (this includes ritual casting of spells that normally require 1 action).
Using certain items (e.g. marvelous pigments, ring of djinni summoning, ring of shooting stars).

This is not an exhaustive list - it is just the things I know off the top of my head or could look up quickly.

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer
So, normally you can stop concentrating on a spell anytime(no action required). Can i do this if i polymorph myself?

Of course! The rule states: 'You can end concentration at any time (no action required)'.

There is nothing about the spell targetting yourself, and nothing about the polymorph spell, which alters this.

Remove ads