• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I use a tower shield for total cover in meelee?

Particle_Man

Explorer
I know that I can use a tower shield for total cover vs. ranged attacks (but not spells).

Can I use a tower shield for total cover vs. meelee attacks?

cantrip

Explorer
SRD said:
Shield, Tower: This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.
It provides total cover against everything except targeted spells...
So it gives immunity to touch spells too? I've got to get one :D

Whimsical

Explorer
Check the latest D&D 3.5 FAQ. It clarifies tower shield use greatly. If you use the tower shield often, print the tower shield FAQ page and keep it with your character. Then print another copy for your DM.

EDIT: the current FAQ has the tower shield rules on pg. 27. I suppose that if one wanted to print it out it would be best if the relevent section was copied and pasted into a word processor.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Whimsical said:
Check the latest D&D 3.5 FAQ. It clarifies tower shield use greatly.

Of course, the answer provided in the FAQ is nothing like what appears in the 3.5 PHB.

cantrip said:
It provides total cover against everything except targeted spells...
So it gives immunity to touch spells too?

Er, no.

A touch spell is usually of the form "Target: Creature touched". So touch spells are targeted spells.

-Hyp.

cantrip

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Er, no.

A touch spell is usually of the form "Target: Creature touched". So touch spells are targeted spells.

-Hyp.
D'oh! I was thinking of ranged touch spells(They are usually effect-spells, right?) :heh:

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Spreads

Ah Tower shields my love
Spreads go around corners rendering cover from Tower shields useless. i.e. fireball and others.
You'd be able to protect yourself from any touch spells because they require an attack
I'm not sure about general target spells, I mean technicaly you shouldn't be able to see someone with total cover.

Jack Simth

First Post
While Total Cover would normally protect you from many spells, it specifically doesn't work when that cover comes from a Tower Shield, as the tower shield description specifically says so:
SRD said:
Shield, Tower: This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.

When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.
(emphasis added)

Edit: while *your body* isn't directly subject to the touch attacks needed to hit you, the shield transmits the effects from touch spells to you, and the shield can be targetted.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads