• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Homebrew: How to modify Shield spell?

Trigger: you take non-psychic damage.
Reduce the damage you take by 5 until the start of your turn, including the triggering damage.
At Higher Level: reduce the damage by 5 * the spells level.

Conveniently still works to block magic missile.
It would need to block 15 points of damage to definitely completely stop a 1st-level magic missile. So I would have it reduce the damage from one effect by 15, +5 per level upcast. That's probably actually a buff but can be overcome with big damage.

I do like this version though, but mostly because I want to steal shield's existing mechanic for the Parry maneuver.

(If we're focusing exclusively on the shield spell, though: make it only one attack and it's fine. You still need to have enough fighting going on to make using up all your slots a factor, but that's not a problem with a specific spell so can't be fixed by nerfing a spell or two.)

Horwath

Legend
My 'fix' would be to make the shield bonus apply only against the triggering attack, with the option to upcast one level to have it last until the end of the turn it activates, and to upcast it two levels to have it last until the end of your next turn.
no DM ever had an idea to ignore the PC that boosted his AC to near infinity for that round?

in most campaigns, when a PC uses Shield it's like a taunt for every other PCs in combat.

Stormonu

Legend
you can say that about armor proficiency, yet we have Mage armor spell.
Yeah, that spell is a kluge that shouldn't really exist or be higher level. At the least it should require light armor proficiency. Probably a shorter duration (1 hour) as well.

Horwath

Legend
Yeah, that spell is a kluge that shouldn't really exist or be higher level. At the least it should require light armor proficiency. Probably a shorter duration (1 hour) as well.
why?

it uses spell preparation slot and uses a spell slot, casters are not 3.5e Sorcerers that they have spell slots pouring out of their ears.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
why?

it uses spell preparation slot and uses a spell slot, casters are not 3.5e Sorcerers that they have spell slots pouring out of their ears.
While I don't have any problems with Mage Armor, this ties into the value of 1st-level spell slots after awhile. The offensive ones will be laughable to higher hit point foes, the control ones too limited, and the utility ones don't come up often enough. As a Wizard, I've found I have little use for my 1st-level spell slots, so Mage Armor is basically "you get weightless +2 leather armor as a class feature".

Which, notably is a class feature for Warlocks and one that competes with others (sure, it lets you cast it at will, but really, when is 8 hours not enough?).

So while you're probably not casting it at level 1, by level 5, you have better armor (more or less) than any light armor user has access to without finding magic armor or using a feat. On a class that's supposed to not have armor proficiency as a "balance point" (I find that dubious, and think it's really more for legacy reasons, since getting a high AC in 5e as any class isn't particularly difficult).

Especially when you have Bladesingers sporting some of the highest AC's available in the game, even in a limited fashion. There's more to defense than high AC, of course, but it does feel strange when the plate-wearing Fighter is outclassed by a guy in a skirt.

When it was first coming up in our group on a VTT, I was trying to figure out how to run it on the medium. Since the VTT shows you the roll total rather than just the die, you already know if shield is going to work and be needed before you cast it. I really didn't think that is how it was supposed to be run, since that is the strongest possible interpretation of an already good spell.

But my players strongly preferred that I run it that way, despite none of them having the spell! What I thought was a bit OP, they thought was necessary to avoid wasting spell slots, even at the cost of making it stronger for NPC foes.

Moral of the story is to check with the players (if possible) about whether they even consider the spell to need a nerf.

GrimCo

Adventurer
While I don't have any problems with Mage Armor, this ties into the value of 1st-level spell slots after awhile. The offensive ones will be laughable to higher hit point foes, the control ones too limited, and the utility ones don't come up often enough. As a Wizard, I've found I have little use for my 1st-level spell slots, so Mage Armor is basically "you get weightless +2 leather armor as a class feature".
Or you get +1 studded leather armor for a price of lv1 slot. Which is not bad for a d6 hp class that tends to be primary target of any inteligent oponent. It's decent, but not OP. How often utility ones come to play depends on campaign and playstyle. 1st level slots at higher levels are usefull for abjuration stuff like protection from g&e, absorb elements, shield and good old silvery barbs 😁
Which, notably is a class feature for Warlocks and one that competes with others (sure, it lets you cast it at will, but really, when is 8 hours not enough?).
Mage armor as invocation is mediocre at best and usefull only in specific scenarios.
So while you're probably not casting it at level 1, by level 5, you have better armor (more or less) than any light armor user has access to without finding magic armor or using a feat. On a class that's supposed to not have armor proficiency as a "balance point" (I find that dubious, and think it's really more for legacy reasons, since getting a high AC in 5e as any class isn't particularly difficult).
Better armor? Yes. Better AC? No. As a wizard, if you optimize build, take ASI, at best you have AC 17 at lv 8 ( dex 18). And that means Int is also 18.
Especially when you have Bladesingers sporting some of the highest AC's available in the game, even in a limited fashion. There's more to defense than high AC, of course, but it does feel strange when the plate-wearing Fighter is outclassed by a guy in a skirt.
Bladesinger,with build as seen above ( dex and int 18 at lv 8) has ac 21 while bladesinging, which he can do in 2-4 econuters per day in tier 1&2 where most games take place. AC is on par with full plate+shield+defensive fs, but he has it all day long. On the other hand, once you get hit, it hurts bad cause of d6 hd and con which is mediocre (14) at best. For 4 rounds in a day, you can raise your ac to 26 with shield spell, and boy you gonna need it if you wanna go head to head in melee with bad guys. You gonna need that haste spell to keep you going (free disengage action to move away).

Guy in a skirt needs that AC for melee build cause he can't take hits.

If anything, 5e shield is underpowered.

Remove ads