Can Minions gain temporary hp?

GoLu

First Post
Do minions really die in one hit, even if they don't take damage?

The description of temporary hitpoints is that they are a layer of insulation that attacks have to get through before they start doing damage to you. That's pretty much verbatim from the PHB, and seems to indicate that if temporary hitpoints entirely soak an attack, the target of the attack hasn't actually taken any damage.

Thasmodious

First Post
I use temp hp on minions as resistance: all basically. Subtract the temp hp pool from the damage, if any is left, they die. For ease of bookkeeping, the temp hp pool on a minion can only take 1 hit. If the minion is granted 5 temp hp, then takes 3 damage, he is not killed and has no more temp hp.

GoLu

First Post
Thasmodious said:
I use temp hp on minions as resistance: all basically. Subtract the temp hp pool from the damage, if any is left, they die. For ease of bookkeeping, the temp hp pool on a minion can only take 1 hit. If the minion is granted 5 temp hp, then takes 3 damage, he is not killed and has no more temp hp.

Oooh. I'll probably end up doing that, just to cut down on record keeping. Good idea.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I'd say yes, and they don't die in one hit. The temporary hp act as a buffer vs. "real" damage, so the minion did not actually take real damage and so does not die.

Thasmodious said:
This is a brilliant rule. Have an internet!

lukelightning

First Post
To be really mean, the DM can secretly rule that when a minion with temp damage gets hit, it goes down — temporarily. Then it gets up 2 rounds later. Surprise!

Jhaelen

First Post
lukelightning said:
To be really mean, the DM can secretly rule that when a minion with temp damage gets hit, it goes down — temporarily. Then it gets up 2 rounds later. Surprise!
That's actually close to my solution: Instead of granting temp hp, the ability revives minions that are out.

Remove ads