D&D 5E Can mundane classes have a resource which powers abilities?

Do you think the D&D audience will accept a mundane (non-magical) class which has a resource that powers abilities?
Have you seen Iron Heroes? That about wraps up the whole system, really. Half of the martial classes have unique resources which they build in semi-unique ways and expend to do cool moves. And between Monte Cook and Mike Mearls, it's about as D&D (3.5-era) as you can possibly get.

Different people have different thresholds for what they can accept, though. I might be fine with Iron Heroes' Archer class, and its Aim tokens that it spends to power their shot maneuvers, but I can't possibly accept Pathfinder's Gunslinger class with its Grit pool.

That's because my objection has nothing to do with fighters having nice things, and everything to do with meta-gaming. Grit is just a narrative construct that's all about the Gunslinger being so cool that the laws of nature no longer apply, where Aim actually has in-world meaning as a measure of the Archer's ability to aim very well.

Either way, it's kind of a moot point. You can't really do short-term resources in Next, because battle is over too quickly in all but the most-elaborate of combats.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
None of that is particularly popular. It's fine for an option, or an accessory. But, I don't think they will be adding this to the core book beyond the existing Barbarian rage. And, they already removed it somewhat from the prior Fighter playtests because people didn't much like it.

I was under the impression that most of the criticism of resource mechanics for mundanes was because they were: a) pervasive and/or b) disassociated, and not because they were a resource mechanic per se. Hence why we saw backlash against the fighter but acceptance with the barbarian.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I was under the impression that most of the criticism of resource mechanics for mundanes was because they were: a) pervasive and/or b) disassociated, and not because they were a resource mechanic per se. Hence why we saw backlash against the fighter but acceptance with the barbarian.

Most of the objection was, "This doesn't add much interesting stuff for the complication cost". They're trying to reduce tracking of stuff, not add it.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I wouldn't class that as a resource. It's not something that can be accumulated or spent. It's more a condition that either exists or doesn't exist.

I was thinking that setting yourself up in the position was the resource, and you spend it by backstabbing (moving out of position). Which is a pretty tortured use of the terms!

A) Your class gives you the ability to gain a resource & spend it, 2) That resource is "being behind and unseen", and iii) When you spend it (by attacking and thus revealing yourself) you deal x2 damage.

Anyway. This is probably not what anyone but me is thinking about, so I'll leave it at that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In 3.5, I had a custom gladiator class that gained EXCITEMENT as onlookers cheered or enemies were harmed. Then the gladiator could spend EXCITEMENT to get pumped and get pump or scare enemies. With enough EXCITEMENT, they can deal crazy damage and get huge bonuses to Will saves.

Grisly Critical: Starting at the 3rd level when a gladiator score a successful critical hit, he may spend EXECITEMENT to scare onlookers. If the gladiator spends 1 EXCITEMENT, an hostile onlooker must make a Will saving throw of be shaken. If the gladiator spends 5 EXCITEMENT, hostile onlookers are frightened instead. If the gladiator spends 10 EXCITEMENT, hostile onlookers are panicked instead.

In 4e, I made a duelist for my cousin. It had a Momentum resource that could be suspended to regain encounter powers if positive or allow for feints if negative (when negative attackers can choose to get bonus damage but get attacked it they use it and miss).

I could see both as acceptable to D&D fans if converted to their preferred game.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
They always did. It's called the Barbarian.

Good point.

In my own homebrew system, I've always colored/fluffed limited [per day] abilities with the folllowing: "The Fighter [or whateverclass] has the skill and stamina to [engage in this activity] X times per day."

Now, I've never made it an "official stat" or anything, but I don't see why one couldn't incorporate something like a "Stamina" score or "Stamina Points" to martial style characters.

For my game, it's generally "level + [relavant ability, normally Str. or Con. if we're talking about martial classes] modifier" times per day. So, basically, you can do this extra special maneuver/activity/ability/(some might say "power") so many times before you're just too tired/weak from the day's activities to do it, properly/effectively, anymore. And, naturally, as the PC increases in power (gains levels) their Stamina to use these extra special maneuvers/abilities increases.

I'd never really thought of it this way, but it is, in essence, akin to a spell-point or slot system for martial/mundane classes...gives the fighter/rogue/barbarian [I use berserking/rage this way] players a resource to track and choose when they feel their "special" abilities will be most useful...like spellcasters have to decide.

sheadunne

Explorer
I was thinking that setting yourself up in the position was the resource, and you spend it by backstabbing (moving out of position). Which is a pretty tortured use of the terms!

A) Your class gives you the ability to gain a resource & spend it, 2) That resource is "being behind and unseen", and iii) When you spend it (by attacking and thus revealing yourself) you deal x2 damage.

Anyway. This is probably not what anyone but me is thinking about, so I'll leave it at that.

Each round a player gets 3 actions (Swift/Minor/Immediate, Move, Standard) in which to perform actions. Each action is a resource that is expended (you don't get it back until the next round). When a player has exhausted all their actions their turn is completed. So yes, actions are a resource, they just get renewed every turn (as opposed to encounter or daily renewal).

Remove ads