• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can someone agree with me here?

<ramble>

Allz I'm saying is...

With all this fleecing talk coming from the 4E discussion, and since this "fleecing" is at least somewhat true (to what degree depends on your perspective and income level), then why doesn't someone get together with a couple of other friends and create their own Digital Initiative.

In any case, I'm going to talk to some of my friends out there about this and see what ideas I can start. I'm going to watch WOTC's DI and try to learn from their mistakes. At some point I would like to mimic their efforts, but.....drum roll....implement it more effectively.

But my idea is this: since digitization of gaming (i.e laptops at the tabletop) is probably inevitable as well as a good thing if done properly...[MapTool]...why not start making standalone applications much in the same way as we already create indie pdf's for sale and download.

So instead of jim-joe-bob writing his wonderful new indie game/adventure/splatbook, he gets with his programmer buddy and they turn it into a standalone app which the dm can use at the kitchen table or virtual table.

Essentially, I'm thinking something along the lines of DM Genie but tailor made for an adventure, a rule system, or campaign setting; and the sale would come in by sale of the software, not of the book/text/information.

This is half-baked, gee-wiz stuff; I wish it was so easy.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I think WOTC is fading rapidly (10 years from now...gone completely). The advent of the internet and rapid-application-development has done no favors for WOTC. This whole DI thing could be great, but it needs to be done right. And "done right" means vastly superior quality and a cheap price. Once you've hooked all the gamers of the world on your cheap but good sh**, then you've won.

</ramble>

But doesn't it make more sense, as an indie developer, to sell a computer application then to a pdf? Maybe I'm dreaming..its late.

I thought of something like this years ago, well before the whole DI thing. Its always a matter of money and knowing the right people. Its why I have a d20 Supers-book I want to get published but Im stalled in the text only point right now. Dont know anyone to finish the work and I dont have the money to publish it or pay anyone.

Yair

Community Supporter
Aren't projects like GMGen (part of PCGen) and MapTools attempting this?

The advantage WotC has is that they have the rights over the official books. If you want to play a Binder or use a Dark Creeper as a monster or so on - you need to use WotC's text and pictures. Only WotC can (legally) offer database packages allowing you to create your Forgotten Realms character, to use the official Eberron trade & influence rules, or to incorporate the few elements not released under the SRD (using a Mind Flayer, for example). This is a huge advantage over all its competitors.

Comapnies can purchase the right to make use of others' content. Fantasy Grounds provides rules support for Iron Heroes, for example, including some Iron Heroes adventures. Many products and companies are covered in PCGen. But unless WotC agrees to let another company use its stuff, WotC's program would be the only one that can do so. And since lots and lots of people use WotC's products, this is a major advantage even if it means the program won't be able to handle, say, Goodman Game's newest product.

WotC also has the advantage of working on this commercially, with big budgets. Having paid professionals work on your program for their livelihood tends to make for a better result than shared fan efforts. With all due respect for PCGen or MapTools, I believe WotC's character generator and virtual tabletop would be superior (for a D&D game; they'd probably be less flexible).

Calico_Jack73

First Post
dickenscider said:
So instead of jim-joe-bob writing his wonderful new indie game/adventure/splatbook, he gets with his programmer buddy and they turn it into a standalone app which the dm can use at the kitchen table or virtual table.

Because his Programmer Buddy most likely writes code for a living and doesn't have the free time in his personal life to devote to the project. :)

DonTadow

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
Because his Programmer Buddy most likely writes code for a living and doesn't have the free time in his personal life to devote to the project. :)
I don't see it getting to the point where you will need a programmer. I see wotc producing their own fantasy grounds product and only producing their material for that. I don't think they will license fourth edition to electornic products.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, it's been what, 7 years, and IMHO, no one really even managed make a halfway decent character generator for 3.x. The best one is probably E-tools, but that's still a bit weak. the best free one, PCGen, is so horribly slow and bloated, it's unusable for most people.

So I guess my point is, unless 4e is a lot simpler, I think something like what you propose would be too tough for one person (or even a small group) to do well.

trancejeremy said:
So I guess my point is, unless 4e is a lot simpler, I think something like what you propose would be too tough for one person (or even a small group) to do well.
Yea, you're probably right. And I think that is what it finally comes down to.

One can hope that the 4E rules are vastly more conducive to computer coding and db storage. Since the rules aren't really written yet, and obviously not coded, perhaps the possibility isn't so unlikely.

I would like to mention that I very much like HeroForge as a char gen. I like it much better than PCGen.....poor, poor java.

Remove ads