• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Can we get a D&D Tactics game please?

The message I got from others who were really into tactics was that 4e was kind only good at it in comparison to other D&D versions which were not at all (ie 4e is dabblers tactics). So the request might well be for something more? Ok I will admit dabblers tactics may be enough for me but I might want to try more.
I came to the conclusion that 4E actually had more to offer on the strategic level. The biggest decisions were made when building a character...and, although this usually got lost due to individual player preferences, assembling a party. This made me suspect that despite all the claims of influence by MMOs, it was possibly (and probably ultimately to it's detriment) influenced more by miniatures gaming.

That's where there'd be a lot of room for a computer game. Exactly what defender would work best for this party?

I did think that on the individual tactical level it didn't really go that deep, I played a lot of different characters at one stage, and found you could usually quickly come up with a standard approach to most situations that worked in 90% of situations. (That's why I played a lot of different characters - if I wanted to explore possibilities there was much more to be done in the character generation strategic level.)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I came to the conclusion that 4E actually had more to offer on the strategic level. The biggest decisions were made when building a character...and, although this usually got lost due to individual player preferences, assembling a party.
Creating a good team well I like it regardless and role awareness in character design helps that. I have been considering ways to make more strategics to RPGs.

jasper

Rotten DM
My wife got me into finally playing a Fire Emblem game by saying "it's how I've been getting my D&D fix since we can't seem to get a group together". So I started playing it. Then I was stuck home sick for a week and ended up putting like 90 hours into it.

So, wow, who would like a D&D tactics came now?
What counter is my nuke? And can I nuke Eliminster or Waterdeep

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
XCom relies a lot on ranged weapons/cover, which wouldn't really adapt well to D&D.

There are a couple of good Shadowrun computer games around, which are quite XCom-ish.

They are very good. The best if by far Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Shadowrun: Dragon Fall is awesome as well. Shadowrun Returns is okay, decent game play, story is a bit wonky.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads