• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Can we get a D&D Tactics game please?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
My wife knew I liked Edelgard and knows I'm a giant goody goody, so she made me play black eagles.

My face when the decision/twist happened. I was so upset.
That twist was amazing. Loved it. And Edelgard is one of the best characters ever.

XCom relies a lot on ranged weapons/cover, which wouldn't really adapt well to D&D.

Well you wouldn't use Xcom's combat engine. At the very least the hidden miss/dodge chances are too infuriating for melee.

However, a grid based, turn based tactical skirmish game seems pretty easy to do. It's more of a wonder that they've never done it with WH40K. I mean, they did a really good version of Blood Bowl!

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I came to the conclusion that 4E actually had more to offer on the strategic level. The biggest decisions were made when building a character...and, although this usually got lost due to individual player preferences, assembling a party. This made me suspect that despite all the claims of influence by MMOs, it was possibly (and probably ultimately to it's detriment) influenced more by miniatures gaming.

That's where there'd be a lot of room for a computer game. Exactly what defender would work best for this party?

I did think that on the individual tactical level it didn't really go that deep, I played a lot of different characters at one stage, and found you could usually quickly come up with a standard approach to most situations that worked in 90% of situations. (That's why I played a lot of different characters - if I wanted to explore possibilities there was much more to be done in the character generation strategic level.)
the comparison to tactics games did make some sense to me, and I guess any kind of grid based miniatures games is a fair comparison (3.5 is a good example lmao)

I never really got the claims about how 4e is like WoW. mostly 'cause I never played it and just enjoyed 4e for what it was.

but now that I've gotten into FF14... I mean I guess I get it? but it still seems at superficial at best, and just largely disingenuous at worst. I can't go and have an extended convo with the tavern keep in WoW, but literally nothing is stopping me from doing that in 4e. I mean other than the DM not wanting to pretend to be a tavern keep for 45 straight lol

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads