• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can Wither and Bloom heal someone who is downed?

ECMO3

Hero
The ally targeted does not need to use an action or reaction to use his hit dice so I assume the answer is yes. Use it on a downed ally and that ally can spend a spell slot to get back in the fight.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Yes it can bring back dying characters by making them regain hit points.

In addition, one creature of your choice in that area can spend and roll one of its unspent Hit Dice and regain a number of hit points equal to the roll plus your spellcasting ability modifier.

Rellott

Explorer
My question about the spell is, do they also add their con mod to the HP regained. Is HD+con mod assumed when they say “Spend a hit die” or is that rule more specifically for short rests?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My question about the spell is, do they also add their con mod to the HP regained. Is HD+con mod assumed when they say “Spend a hit die” or is that rule more specifically for short rests?
Even if adding con mod to hit dice is assumed by default, the spell is a more specific rule, and it says “regain a number of hit points equal to the roll plus your spellcasting ability modifier.” No con mod in that calculation.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What do you mean HD + con mod? Do you add con mod per HD after a short rest at your table???
That’s just the default rule. “A character can spend one or more Hit Dice at the end of a Short Rest, up to the character’s maximum number of Hit Dice, which is equal to the character’s level. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the character’s Constitution modifier to it. The character regains Hit Points equal to the total.”

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd probably treat the base healing as if they spent a hit die during a short rest which means they'd add their constitution bonus. However, a strict reading sounds like the con bonus is replaced by the spellcasting ability modifier.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Why does the spell even require spending a hit die for the healing? Why not just make it a d6 or d8 + spellcasting ability modifier?

Remove ads