• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you do nothing?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Can you spend a whole day doing nothing? (That is: nothing constructive.) Would you be satisfied/happy with a day during which you only napped, read a book, watched some TV, ate something, etc.?

Or must you get something done even on a "day off"? Would you be uncomfortable if you didn't clean the house, get some work done, gotten out and talked to people, etc.?

Bullgrit

Crothian

First Post
I don't consider reading a book or watching TV nothing. In the spring when I can be working 80 work weeks once that is over I will spend a few days relaxing reading, watching TV, and other things to let go of the stress that can build up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Context dependent. If I have been working flat out being constructive recently, yes, I can spend a day doing nothing constructive, and not feel at all uncomfortable or bad about it.

Getting out and talking to people is not necessarily constructive - I can waste time in groups as well as on my own, thank you very much :)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
No. Sadly, no matter what I try, whether I like it or not, my body continues to circulate fluids and resperate. It continues to shed millions of skin cells and dozens of hair follicles, while growing replacements (sometimes a pigment change is involved, but let's not dwell on that). It is like coming to a complete stop while driving: totally impossible and beyond our control.
That said, if you mean have an occasional day of being bloody lazy, yes. I find them helpful. Sometimes essential. Then make the following days/weeks exceedingly productive. That's what weekends are for. Last month I went so far as to sign up for a monthly massage membership.
(After traveling in extremely uncomfortable seats for a week, my back was painfully tweeked--esp postural muscles). That hour of nothing not only made it possible for me to function, but improved my performance in all other areas for weeks. (This is something I would recommend for anyone over 30).

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I am the 2005 world champion of doing nothing. But then I accidentally got a job and lost the title. I tried to challenge the new champion in 2006, but she didn't even show up and thus won.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
As a slacker, I find the question puzzling.

As a reader, I find it offensive that reading is not considered constructive. There is nothing better for the mind.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No. Sadly, no matter what I try, whether I like it or not, my body continues to circulate fluids and resperate. It continues to shed millions of skin cells and dozens of hair follicles, while growing replacements (sometimes a pigment change is involved, but let's not dwell on that). It is like coming to a complete stop while driving: totally impossible and beyond our control.

If you wish to be that picky - in both a human-experience and a thermodynamic sense, this is not constructive, at least for an adult human. It is merely using energy to merely maintain the current state, holding off entropy, but not beating it back, not to build anything new.

Kids can still say they're being constructive, as their bodies are still usefully growing. Adults are out of luck - gaining a potbelly is not really constructive :p

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Sometimes yes, most of the time no. For some reason since I got married my desire to do stuff has increased. In general, if I don't do at least ONE thing, I feel like the day is even. Sometimes that one thing is like a 15 minute project but as long as I did that I feel like my day isn't wasted.

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
I can't afford to do nothing.
Millions on welfare are relying on me to make it to work.

Mod Note: No politics, please! ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads