• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you threaten witha melee weapon? Sneak Attack?

Albert_Fish

First Post
Ok Scenario:
We have two kobold theives. They are both wielding crossbows. they are within 30 feet of the target and opposite of one another. Do they get flanking bonuses? Are they then capable of Sneak attacks?

What if a non-thief threatens during melee and the kobold thief threatens with a ranged weapon and are opposite of one another, the kobold again withinthe 30 feet range?

I swear i saw a rule that you cannot threaten with ranged weapons without the appropriate PrC.

Well thanks guys

Eternalknight

First Post
Albert_Fish said:
Ok Scenario:
We have two kobold theives. They are both wielding crossbows. they are within 30 feet of the target and opposite of one another. Do they get flanking bonuses? Are they then capable of Sneak attacks?

What if a non-thief threatens during melee and the kobold thief threatens with a ranged weapon and are opposite of one another, the kobold again withinthe 30 feet range?

I swear i saw a rule that you cannot threaten with ranged weapons without the appropriate PrC.

Well thanks guys

You cannot threaten with a ranged weapon. Flanking is also melee only.

Albert_Fish

First Post
So a missile weapon wielding thief may only sneak attack upon a creature it has surprised or beaten in initiative? And then only within 30 feet? regardless of whether they are opposite a person threatening the target?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Albert_Fish said:
So a missile weapon wielding thief may only sneak attack upon a creature it has surprised or beaten in initiative? And then only within 30 feet? regardless of whether they are opposite a person threatening the target?

Pretty much.

They can also sneak attack if the target is blinded, if they are invisible (and the target doesn't have uncanny dodge or see invisible), or if something else has happened that causes them to lose their Dex bonus.

fba827

Adventurer
Slight thread hijack but I don't feel bad since the question has been answered ...

When I first saw the title of this thread:

In my sleepy state of mind, I could have sworn it said:
"Can you threaten Mialee with a sneak attack?"

I had to stop, think about it, realize I was obviously reading it wrong, and then burst out laughing for a good ten minutes (sleepiness makes me wierd, I know)...

anyway, just had to share :D

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
When I first saw the title of this thread:
In my sleepy state of mind, I could have sworn it said:
"Can you threaten Mialee with a sneak attack?"

LOL Gotta love late nights. :D

Hamlin

First Post
Ranged attacks ARE possible!!

You guys are not reading the rules correctly. It specifically says in the Player's Handbook under the section for Sneak Attacks:
Ranged attacks can only count as sneak attacks if the target is within 30 feet.
And for his sneak attack to work he has to be FLANKING the defender!!

It says on Flanking on pg 130 of the player's:
The ally must be on the other side of the defender, so that the defender is directly between you.
And since Rogues can do it at range there can be two kobolds attacking and they would both get their sneak attack bonuses. The rogue is the only class that gets ranged flanking. Everyone else has to go into melee to get that flanking bonus.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Ranged attacks ARE possible!!

It says on Flanking on pg 130 of the player's...

Um, it also says "If you are making a melee attack..."

The rogue is the only class that gets ranged flanking.

No, a rogue can make a Sneak Attack with a ranged weapon within 30 feet if he satisfies the conditions for a Sneak Attack. One of the conditions that allows a Sneak Attack is flanking. You flank if you are making a melee attack etc etc. Obviously, you can't be making a melee attack if you're making a ranged attack.

You can Ranged Sneak Attack if your opponent is denied his Dex bonus. That's it.

You can Melee Sneak Attack if your opponent is denied his Dex bonus, or if you're flanking him.

-Hyp.

Remove ads