Candela Obscura Is A New Horror TTRPG & Show Coming From Critical Role

Actual play show uses Critical Role's upcoming Illuminated Worlds game system

Candela-Obscura-Cast-Photo.jpg

On May 25th, Critical Role will be launching a new actual-play series called Candela Obscura. Using their upcoming Illuminated Worlds game system, it follows "an esoteric order of investigators as they use centuries of knowledge to fight back a mysterious source of corruption and bleed."

Critical Role's publishing arm, Darrington Press, announced two new RPGs, including Illuminated Worlds, in April. Illuminated Worlds is "optimized for short story arcs and adaptable to myriad settings".

We're thrilled to announce Candela Obscura, a brand new game, in a brand new world, using a brand new system! Candela Obscura is an ongoing horror drama that follows an esoteric order of investigators as they use centuries of knowledge to fight back a mysterious source of corruption and bleed. Leveraging improv and gaming as story mechanics, the series features the Candela Obscura game, which is run on the Illuminated Worlds System, both created by Critical Role’s publishing company, Darrington Press. The first chapter of Candela Obscura stars veteran voice actors Robbie Daymond, Laura Bailey, Anjali Bhimani, and Ashley Johnson and the story is led by Matthew Mercer. The show will premiere on May 25th at 7pm Pacific on Twitch & YouTube and continues on the last Thursday of each month. Podcast and VOD will be available two weeks after its initial broadcast. Learn more here. Lightkeeper: Taliesin Jaffe Music by Colm McGuinness

You can watch the trailer below:

Considering how many non-d20 games are out there, I respectfully disagree. In all honesty, I would say they barely scratched the surface of games beyond D&D, which is one of the reasons I'm curious about their new games.
Agreed. But, it's still more than most APs. I guess when you have the audience numbers, you can afford to start branching out.

To be honest, THIS is what I hoped for most from the OGL debacle - third-party publishers putting out products and trying to make money that doesn't involve 'the world's greatest roleplaying game' (I don't think that - that's just actual text from the PHB)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Agreed. But, it's still more than most APs. I guess when you have the audience numbers, you can afford to start branching out.
I think that's the key. They've done what...five non-D&D games (Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds/Deadlands, Monster Hearts, Honey Heist, and Pathfinder). Which is 4-5 more than most other actual plays. Even if every single episode of their show was a new game, it would still only scratch the surface of what's out there. But, they've done more than most (if not all) other actual plays. I think only the Glass Canon Network has done more, but short-form games with different systems is their mandate.

I think that's the key. They've done what...five non-D&D games (Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds/Deadlands, Monster Hearts, Honey Heist, and Pathfinder). Which is 4-5 more than most other actual plays. Even if every single episode of their show was a new game, it would still only scratch the surface of what's out there. But, they've done more than most (if not all) other actual plays. I think only the Glass Canon Network has done more, but short-form games with different systems is their mandate.
I'm glad to see any exposure for other games and play styles from D&D. I think having players people know playing weird characters in weird new systems probably helps too. (I did forget, somehow, about the weird scifi Nautilus Ark one-off they did... I may need to go back and rewatch that)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm glad to see any exposure for other games and play styles from D&D. I think having players people know playing weird characters in weird new systems probably helps too. (I did forget, somehow, about the weird scifi Nautilus Ark one-off they did... I may need to go back and rewatch that)
Right. Ashley’s one shot. The not-Alien game. That was good. Can’t believe I forgot that.

Clint_L

Hero
Considering how many non-d20 games are out there, I respectfully disagree. In all honesty, I would say they barely scratched the surface of games beyond D&D, which is one of the reasons I'm curious about their new games.
I would argue that D&D is their bread and butter, so the fact that they typically use their one-shots to showcase other games is laudable. Of course they can only scratch the surface - no show could come close to making a dent in that huge range of offerings. But that they choose to use their clout to support indie games when they can is commendable, IMO.

This is my thought as well, but you know what? When we all started out, odds are good we gamed 'wrong' -- but we had fun.

Critical Role, I feel, has done a decent job of representing other, non-d20 games over the years, such as Deadlands/Savage Worlds. Monsterheart, the Honey Heists, etc. Undeadwood was probably my particular favorite mini-series they ran.
Don't forget the My Little Pony TTRPG Tales of Equestria!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads