Download Critical Role’s New RPG Quickstart

Free guide to Candela Obscura, powered by the new Illuminated Worlds system

The QuickStart rules for Critical Role’s upcoming game, Candela Obscura, powered by their new Illuminated Worlds system, is available as a free download in advance of the livestream of the game which starts this week.

IMG_9205.jpeg

Candela Obscura (bestowed the hashtag #CandelaObscura) is a new tabletop roleplaying game that places you in the roles of investigators working for an esoteric order. In this game of gothic horror, individuals of varied talents are brought together under the organization Candela Obscura. You’ll pursue strange occurrences and encounter dangerous magicks, fighting back against a mysterious source of corruption and bleed. Candela Obscura is the first to use the Illuminated Worlds System, a newly designed system that uses 6-sided dice and lends itself to narrative, arc-driven play.

Considering it's session one of an ongoing series, and considering those themes are explicitly present in the Quickstart, I think it's far too early to make those kinds of proclamations.
The review is about what has been published so far and in episode 1 of the new series. It’s also about the way critical role positions itself in the hobby as a business and enterprise. It’s much the same way a critic might write about the first episode of a new season of a tv show

hawkeyefan

Legend
The review is about what has been published so far and in episode 1 of the new series. It’s also about the way critical role positions itself in the hobby as a business and enterprise. It’s much the same way a critic might write about the first episode of a new season of a tv show

Having read the article, it sums up my impression of the quickstart, for sure. Both the setting and the mechanics seems to have the edges sanded down a bit.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Yeah that review bit was interesting. "We have physical and mental illnesses, but don't RP them if/when your character gets one. That's not cool. Not cool like those other horror games who don't have a disclaimer."

If you don't want people to use something in your game, then don't include it in your game.

Arilyn

Hero
Having read the article, it sums up my impression of the quickstart, for sure. Both the setting and the mechanics seems to have the edges sanded down a bit.
I think that's fine. Many players like their horror games to not get too dark and edgy. Variety is good, and we have a lot of raw horror games out there already.

I don't really find that the game is contradictory. It's a quick start, so is a bit sparse, but I assume that'll get filled in. And John Harper is excited!

I'm curious and hoping it does well.

Clint_L

Hero
I think there's a fairly large contingent of players that like both the rules-lightness and the concepts of narrative play in principle, but aren't comfortable with moving the engine of the narrative from the DM to the players.

The overall focus on characterization and thespianism makes this sort of hybrid feel like it falls into the neo-trad camp to me.
I think this is a function of making something for an audience. GM and players negotiating to determine rules and rolls slows things down, though with a talented cast like this it would probably be feasible. As a player, I prefer my horror games to be more trad because I like to be a bit "in the dark" as to what is going on - it raises the tension.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I find this whole shift interesting.
Chaosium has been in the business of system/stories since the 70's, I daresay they are the OG of existential/cosmic/Lovecraftian horror TTRPG. So what's the point of CO? I get the sense that CR is shifting (smartly for their own branding) away from D&D; just don't see the point of this new game when others in the market have been at it longer (and better). I guess to each her own.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I find this whole shift interesting.

Chaosium has been in the business of system/stories since the 70's, I daresay they are the OG of existential/cosmic/Lovecraftian horror TTRPG. So what's the point of CO? I get the sense that CR is shifting (smartly for their own branding) away from D&D; just don't see the point of this new game when others in the market have been at it longer (and better). I guess to each her own.
Because they get to make the money from sales of the game they're promoting/playing on the stream instead of handing money to other people.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads