Can't load website in IE

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, yep, it seems that IE8 and below aren't playing ball. I'm trying to figure that out; Microsoft isn't helping by (a) not allowing me to install IE 8 or below on Windows 8, making testing hard to do; and (b) removing conditionals in IE 10 meaning that I could easily put a conditional in detecting IE 8 or below and using something alternative, but now anyone using IE 10 would have theirs messed up instead.

So - sorry for the inconvenience. It all works fine in IE9+ and other browsers; it's just old versions of IE we're having trouble with.

chriton227

Explorer
Not sure if it helps, but I pulled the error message out of IE8.

Code:
HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917).
331653-cant-load-website-ie-2.html       Line:0
Code:0     Char:0

Error is consistent between browser modes IE8, IE8 Compatibility, and IE7.

I see the message in the page header about the new style not being compatible with IE8 or earlier, could some aspect of the new style have leaked into the default style?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not sure if it helps, but I pulled the error message out of IE8.

Code:
HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917).
331653-cant-load-website-ie-2.html       Line:0
Code:0     Char:0
Error is consistent between browser modes IE8, IE8 Compatibility, and IE7.

Yikes; I don't understand what that means at all. Anyone here got any idea?

I see the message in the page header about the new style not being compatible with IE8 or earlier, could some aspect of the new style have leaked into the default style?

You misunderstand the notice. I added the notice about an hour ago after establishing that the new style is causing the issue and switched everyone back to the old style (which is why they should be able to read the site again) as default with a note saying they could manually switch to the new one if they're not on IE 7 or 8.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, IE 8 and IE 7 folks - I need some help if you have a moment. I'm unable to install those browsers on Win8, which means I can't test.

Could you - using those browsers - swtich to "Dev style 2 (do not use)" and report back whether it works. Don't worry about the fact that the menu at the top is incomplete; I just need to know if the page loads.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm on IE8 at work, and the website loaded up just fine (though I didn't switch to any "dev style" - it just loaded up normally).

EDIT: Hmm, it was working, but it's not anymore. Trying to go anywhere else kicks me back to how it looked. I wonder if that's because I clicked on the link up top that's for who aren't using this old browser.

DOUBLE EDIT: Logging out of my account and logging back in seemed to fix the above issue.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm on IE8 at work, and the website loaded up just fine (though I didn't switch to any "dev style" - it just loaded up normally).

EDIT: Hmm, it was working, but it's not anymore. Trying to go anywhere else kicks me back to how it looked. I wonder if that's because I clicked on the link up top that's for who aren't using this old browser.

DOUBLE EDIT: Logging out of my account and logging back in seemed to fix the above issue.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't follow that at all! far too much use of the pronoun "it" without hints at what "it" is. :)

If I understand you right - yes, clicking on the link will not work for you if you're using IE7 or IE.

However, at the bottom of the page, there's the style selector. In there is a brand new style called "Dev Style 2 (do not use)". This is the style I need IE 7 and IE 8 people to check.

Nagol

Unimportant
OK, IE 8 and IE 7 folks - I need some help if you have a moment. I'm unable to install those browsers on Win8, which means I can't test.

Could you - using those browsers - swtich to "Dev style 2 (do not use)" and report back whether it works. Don't worry about the fact that the menu at the top is incomplete; I just need to know if the page loads.

Style 9 definitely breaks my ie8. I get a background, the logo in the top left and the top ad.

The page creation error can be as simple as a missed closing tag so the next closing tag affects stuff you don'r expect. I know a missing /span can cause the same error.

Dropping the html into the w3c validator (validator.w3c.org) , I spotted a missing closing tag at Line 16, Column 68: end tag for "meta" omitted.

The line is "<meta itemprop="image" content="http://www.enworld.org/enw_sq.jpg">"

Not saying that is the error, mind. The validator had a lot of little issues with the page including the use of the special character "&" in D&D as opposed to "&amp" as in "D&ampD".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[EDIT - aha! Simulpost! Thanks, [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION] - that's what I needed to know!)

Hmm. OK. I'm not being clear, it seems.

Yes, I know that "Dev Style" (or "Style 9" or "the style we've been using since Monday until I switched it back this morning) doesn't work in IE 7 and IE 8. I don't need confirmation of this!

What I need someone to check is the brand new style I created today; it's called "Dev Style 2 (do not use)" (or "Style 10" or "the style I added about an hour ago"). I need someone to let me know whether the page loads on that style in those browsers.

Remove ads