• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cantrips with no Somatic wanted

ARandomGod

First Post
I made an Eberron warforged character with a level of Sorc. He's going to be taking the Dragon Disciple PrC, which is almost the only reason to have the class (It also give him the spell "repair light damage" on his spell list for better wand use).

That being said, he gets four cantrips known and two first level spells. And he's meant to be a tank and has the Adamantine Body feat (35% arcane spell failure)
There are a couple of good first level spells I'm thinking of:
Benign Transposition: verbal component only
True Strike: (Verbal and focus only)

But I only see ONE cantrip written that's useful (meaning no somatic component for no spell failure).

*Light

There's also "Flare" which has no somatic component. But it's got a fort negates, and since his ability mod will be 0, that's at the very LEAST a 50% spell failure rate. And so not a good option.

Does anyone else know of any other cantrips that it might be useful to know?
Sure, I know cantrips are nearly pointless. But I also don't see a reason not to polish this character as much as possible. Grant me the boon of your vast knowledge EnWorld. What spell and what book(s)?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Yeah, that's insane.

Aren't there feats to reduce spell failure? I know some PrC's do it, but you don't want a spellcaster PrC, I don't think, it looks like you're wanting Fighter-type PrC's.

ARandomGod

First Post
Diirk said:
Your warforged character is going to explore his draconic blood and start to turn into a dragon? *boggle*

Heheh.
Yup.
I know, it IS pretty insane. But the rules allow that, and they do not allow Eldritch Knight to combine artificer levels with fighter. Go figure.

I use the reasoning that it IS a living construct, and perhaps some draconic living parts were used in the creation.

And, clearly, he'll start to turn into a dragon construct!
:uhoh:

After ten levels of that he's taking levels of Juggernaught (levels 16-20). I think it'll be an amusing combo and it'll definitly give flavor to the character. I was having a difficult time coming up with something for the warforged to actually DO. Well, other than monk. They clearly make better monks than "normal", what with their ability to wear armor while not wearing armor (base composite plate). But monks are pretty bland IMO. As I saw someone put on this forum once:

"The strength of the monk is that he has no weakness. His weakness is that he has no strength."

Ace

Adventurer
ARandomGod said:
I made an Eberron warforged character with a level of Sorc. He's going to be taking the Dragon Disciple PrC, which is almost the only reason to have the class (It also give him the spell "repair light damage" on his spell list for better wand use).

That being said, he gets four cantrips known and two first level spells. And he's meant to be a tank and has the Adamantine Body feat (35% arcane spell failure)
There are a couple of good first level spells I'm thinking of:
Benign Transposition: verbal component only
True Strike: (Verbal and focus only)

But I only see ONE cantrip written that's useful (meaning no somatic component for no spell failure).

*Light

There's also "Flare" which has no somatic component. But it's got a fort negates, and since his ability mod will be 0, that's at the very LEAST a 50% spell failure rate. And so not a good option.

Does anyone else know of any other cantrips that it might be useful to know?
Sure, I know cantrips are nearly pointless. But I also don't see a reason not to polish this character as much as possible. Grant me the boon of your vast knowledge EnWorld. What spell and what book(s)?

Lets see

I used a spell finder here http://imarvintpa.selfhost.com/dndLive/FindSpell.asp

and got

L0

Light and Flare and thats it--

for level 1 I got

Critical Strike

Swift. For 1 round you gain +1d6 damage, doubled threat range, and +4 on attack rolls to confirm critical hits.

Expeditious Retreat, Swift

Your speed increases by 30 ft. for 1 round (swift).
Feather Fall

s).
Golem Strike

Swift. You can sneak attack constructs for 1 round.

Guided Shot
Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1

Swift. You ignore distance penalties with your ranged attacks for 1 round.

Hold Portal

Holds door shut.

Insightful Feint
Asn 1, Sor/Wiz 1
General

Swift. Gain +10 on your next Bluff check to feint in combat.

L
Master's Touch
Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
5 minutes

Swift. You gain proficiency in a weapon or shield touched for 1 min./level.

True Strike

Ventriloquism

from just the 4 completes and core

Adding in Dragon and everything else from WOTC I found

Description
Candlelight
Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
6 hours

Cast a 5-foot radius light from the point touched.

from the ghostwalk web enhancement

For the 4th spell I might take mending -- Since it is used mostly during downtime if it fails its no big deal-- just cast again

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Bits snipped:
Ace said:
Lets see ... for level 1 I got

Critical Strike

Expeditious Retreat, Swift

Golem Strike

Guided Shot

Insightful Feint

Master's Touch

from just the 4 completes and core
I believe those are from the Complete Adventurer specifically, just to clarify.

ARandomGod

First Post
Ace said:

What a nice resource. I played with it a little, and noticed that one spell that I know does not have a somatic component (Benign Transposition, MiniHB) wasn't listed on my search. I discovered that this was because that particular entry was incomplete in that it had no listing for components. Therefore I did a search of all cantrips available, and found the following without components listed... Does anyone have ready/easy access to these books to confirm or deny whether or not they have a somatic component??

PS, I really like that "No Light" spell from the Book of Vile Darkness... If you've got that one, can you tell me a little more about it? (Like what are the components, what duration... )

Book of Eldritch Might (BoEM)
Magic of Faerun (MoF)
Book of Vile Darkness (BoVD)

Devlin's Barb: (Duration five minutes) Source: Book of Eldritch Might
(BoEM), page 17. Dur 5Minutes
Creates an arrow, bolt, bullet or sling stone that exists for the duration.

Electric Jolt: Ranged touch deals d3 electrical damage. Source: Magic
of Fearun Page 91.

Enchanting Flavor: Source BoEM, page 18. A meal tastes wonderful and
you gain a one-time Charisma-based check bonus.

Horizikaul's Cough: Source MoF page 101. Target takes 1 point of sonic
damage and is deafened 1 round.

Launch Bolt: Source MoF page 105. Launches a crossbow bolt up to medium range.

No Light: Source Book of Vile Darkness page 100. Prevents
normal light from illuminating.

Slash Tounge: Book of Vile Darkness on page 103
Subject takes -1 penalty on attacks, saves and checks for 1 round

Unnerving Gaze: Sources Book of Vile Darkness on page 108
Description Subject takes -1 penalty on attacks.

Tounge of Fiends:
Sources The Book of Eldritch Might on page 28
You can speak Infernal.

Sources The Book of Eldritch Might on page 28
Description You can speak Celestial.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Personally I can't see a problem with a warforged taking dragon disciple - he doesn't necessarily have to be following the DMG flavour text. It's enough to know that he's a warforged who wants to be like a dragon, or will somehow change to be like a dragon.

For starters on eberron there are little bits of the world-creating dragons littered all over the planet, and they're used in creating magic items. It's not too far a stretch to believe that this particular warforged was an experiment with a dragonshard-embedding technique.

ARandomGod

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Personally I can't see a problem with a warforged taking dragon disciple - he doesn't necessarily have to be following the DMG flavour text. It's enough to know that he's a warforged who wants to be like a dragon, or will somehow change to be like a dragon.

For starters on eberron there are little bits of the world-creating dragons littered all over the planet, and they're used in creating magic items. It's not too far a stretch to believe that this particular warforged was an experiment with a dragonshard-embedding technique.

That's what I'm going for. I'm even making him six months old. He doesn't know HOW he's six months old... perhaps he simply doesn't remember his real past (or, as he was found in the Mournlands, perhaps something else?)

^_^

Remove ads