D&D 5E Capricious Home Rules and DM Pet Peeves

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
For a while there they fell into the mis-named category.

I know too, too much about the Brontosaurus thing

(B excelsus, the thing you think of when you hear 'Brontosaurus', has always existed, just it was thought it was close enough to Apatosaurus to instead be A excelsus, as opposed to A ajax, the thing you think of when you hear Apatosaurus. But now recent work shows they're different enough to be separate, but two things we thought were different enough are now more Brontosaurus)

machineelf

Explorer
- Slow Natural Healing: Characters don't regain hit points at the end of a long rest. Instead, a character can spend Hit Dice to heal at the end of a long rest, just as with a short rest. (DMG267)
- Healer’s Kit Dependency: A character can't spend any Hit Dice after finishing a rest until someone expends one use of a healer's kit to bandage and treat the character's wounds. (DMG266)

I really like your house-rules for healing, in particular. How would you say they have worked out in your game? How have your players taken to them? What are the affects you've seen in terms of the adventuring day?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I really like your house-rules for healing, in particular. How would you say they have worked out in your game? How have your players taken to them? What are the affects you've seen in terms of the adventuring day?
It made things more gritty by making Hit Dice more scarce resource that must be spent judiciously and the players finds it more realistic. There is a side effect on the adventuring day where it often shortens it when too many encounters drained them and some player asked to look into it. I recently change how Hit Dice are regained at the end of a long rest, regaining all of them rather than only half. It improved healing while still not being too video gamey by regaining all lost hit points every morning. So in my campaign long rest grant 100% HD and 0% HP.

Hathorym

Explorer
Whilst reading this thread, I have become thrilled with the fact that I am not the only anti-halfling DM out there. I have no logical reason for my hatred of them, I simply know that halfling (kender) PCs annoy me to tears. So no halflings in my games.

Also, I hate the lamification of the drow, special snowflake drizzt syndrome. Drow are in my world, but they are extremely off the PC list.

Beyond that I'm fairly easy going about my games. We experiment with new rules and routines quite often to find what works best for the group as a whole.

machineelf

Explorer
It made things more gritty by making Hit Dice more scarce resource that must be spent judiciously and the players finds it more realistic. There is a side effect on the adventuring day where it often shortens it when too many encounters drained them and some player asked to look into it. I recently change how Hit Dice are regained at the end of a long rest, regaining all of them rather than only half. It improved healing while still not being too video gamey by regaining all lost hit points every morning. So in my campaign long rest grant 100% HD and 0% HP.

What do you do with a Fighter's second wind and the fact the fighter refreshes it every short rest?

Azurewraith

Explorer
Am I the only guy that allows drow PC's. I get the touched lollth evil blah blah but I love drow PC's. I love how everyone distrusts them I love how they have to change everyone's opinions on them. I'm just a Drow fanboi I guess.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
What do you do with a Fighter's second wind and the fact the fighter refreshes it every short rest?
I don't have a fighter among my players but even if i had it'd change nothing. My houserules are about the number of hit points/hit dice regained after a rest. Other ability to heal that are rechargeable after a rest are working as usual.

Yan
D&D Playtester

manduck

Explorer
Am I the only guy that allows drow PC's. I get the touched lollth evil blah blah but I love drow PC's. I love how everyone distrusts them I love how they have to change everyone's opinions on them. I'm just a Drow fanboi I guess.

Nope, you're not the only one. I allow players to play whatever they want from player options. If they have a really good character idea and the rest of the group is cool with it, I'd even allow monster races or something more unusual. As long as both they and the rest of the group have fun, it's all good with me. Just create a fun and interesting character and go with it.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Nope, you're not the only one. I allow players to play whatever they want from player options. If they have a really good character idea and the rest of the group is cool with it, I'd even allow monster races or something more unusual. As long as both they and the rest of the group have fun, it's all good with me. Just create a fun and interesting character and go with it.
That's generally my thinking. I will warn players about their choices having impact on first impressions. In my currant PbP game I have a hobgoblin a Minotaur and a revent and a Triton in my Rl game.

I think its a Grognard thing to ban races

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

I have no issue with drow in my campaigns. There is one drow PC in my current campaign. He got along just fine with the NPCs in town until a chain of unfortunate Carousing rolls left him with a lot of enemies. So while there was no drow hate in the world when we started, now there is!

Remove ads