Cartography: How do they do it?

Emiricol

Lordnightshade, that campaign map is truly amazing. How long did it take altogether? And are there mailing lists for making maps like that with Photoshop?

Lordnightshade

First Post
carpedavid, the link you gave doesn't work for me... :(

Emiricol, that map took me a while to do. As for a mailing list on that sort of thing there may be one but I don't know about it.

What I did was pencil the map first, setting up all the terrain details and the shapes of the contenients. Then I scanned it into photoshop.

This is where the hard work came in. I started by laying down the base colors in areas I wanted to show different terrain features, then I went in with several different shades and the air brush.

After I did that it still looked pretty sloppy with chunks of color everywhere, so I attacked it with the smudge tool... lots of smudge tool... and I used the burn tool in areas I wanted darker. But the smudge tool is what got all those cool terrain effects.

It took me several weeks working on it off an on. I don't know how many hours exactly maybe 12 or so...

Fast Learner

First Post

kenjib

First Post
Lordnightshade, thanks for the great tips on how you created that map. It looks fantastic!

Anyone have any other tips? Shadowlight, how did you make those nice maps with Photoshop?

Remove ads