Case Studies in Intellectual Property: Dick Tracy

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This being EnWorld, and knowing the denizens thereof, I am reasonably certain that most of you have some familiarity with the famous (and infamous) intellectual property battles that we are familiar with from, say, the MCU.

For example, the schism that occurred due to Marvel selling off the rights to the X-Men to Fox, and how the purchase of Fox by Disney has brought the X-Men back into the fold.

Or how Sony owns the rights to Spiderman (and associated characters, like Venom and Jared "It's Morbin' Time" Leto).

Or how, in order to keep the Fantastic Four rights, there was a 1994 Roger Croman Fantastic Four film which can be best described as, In the style of such cinema accomplishments as Birdemic and Toxic Avenger. Eh, that's a little harsh, but it's not good.

Heck, even the attempts at D&D movies have been held up at various times for IP and contractual reasons.

So with that background, I wanted to present to you this, one of the best and most entertaining little anecdotes about IP and rights I have seen recently. Enjoy-

Consider this a thread for general discussion about IP and rights, and for any amusing stories you wish to share.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
You've got to wonder what those film rights are actually worth at this point. I know the comic strip has been kinda sorta soft rebooted in the last decade, but it's still not exactly the kind of IP that has people dying to see adaptations. I'm sure that Tribune is dying to create a Tribune Cinematic Universe but this has to be a rich eccentric guy basically saying "I'm holding onto these rights til I die" more than anything.

You've got to wonder what those film rights are actually worth at this point. I know the comic strip has been kinda sorta soft rebooted in the last decade, but it's still not exactly the kind of IP that has people dying to see adaptations. I'm sure that Tribune is dying to create a Tribune Cinematic Universe but this has to be a rich eccentric guy basically saying "I'm holding onto these rights til I die" more than anything.

At this point, it kinda feels more like this is a hobby to Beatty rather than a business move. Beatty may just be a big Dick Tracy fan. But the kind of fan that's rich enough to own the rights instead of memorabilia.

I wonder what the median age of a Dick Tracy comic reader is.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
At this point, it kinda feels more like this is a hobby to Beatty rather than a business move. Beatty may just be a big Dick Tracy fan. But the kind of fan that's rich enough to own the rights instead of memorabilia.

I wonder what the median age of a Dick Tracy comic reader is.

I mean .... I started reading it.

But only because the title is very misleading.

Undrave

Legend
Likely about as much as someone would want a sequel to "The Spirit."
Or the Green Hornet? Or the Shadow?

I think The Shadow, The Phantom and the Rocketeer, heck, even Dick Tracy itself, had the good sense to keep their movies period pieces. Masked Mystery Men work better like this.

As an aside, let me plug Decoder Ring Theatre and their two seminal series, Red Panda Adventures, and Black Jack Justice, for anybody who is fan of radio dramas about masked vigilante and noir detective. Hours upon hours of quality content!

Would anyone want another Dick Tracy movie!? Did anyone want the first one?

The Dick Tracy movie just came out at the wrong time period I think.

He says, not having seen the movie in decades.

Remove ads