• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Case Studies in Intellectual Property: Dick Tracy

Undrave

Legend
Snarf's Indisputable Power Rankings of Madonna Movies

Tier 1 Madonna? Not so bad!
1. Desperately Seeking Susan
2. Evita
3. Vision Quest
4. A League of the Their Own

Tier 2 Dick Movies
5. Dangerous Game
6. Dick Tracy
7. Body of Evidence
8. A Certain Sacrifice

Tier 3 Wait, Madonna is in That?
9. Die Another Day
10. Blue in the Face
11. Girl 6
12. Four Rooms
13. Arthur and the Invisibles
14. Shadows and Fog

Tier 4 Please Make it Stop ... I'll Gouge My Eyes Out
15. Bloodhounds of Broadway
16. Shanghai Surprise
17. Swept Away
18. The Next Best Thing
I had no idea she did that many movies. How many are Guy Ritchie movies?

And would you believe the comic strip is still going?

View attachment 276461

Literally every single time I read a Dick Tracy comic, my thought is: "I can tell there's a plot here, but I have no idea WTF it is." This comic is the perfect example. Three name drops, five police officers, two separate scenes, at least two crimes, and a flashback. That's a lot for three panels. Is "gatekeeping" the right word for when your story constantly moves ahead without ever explaining a single gosh darn thing?

.. oh, look, there's Garfield. I can relate to Garfield.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Literally every single time I read a Dick Tracy comic, my thought is: "I can tell there's a plot here, but I have no idea WTF it is." This comic is the perfect example. Three name drops, five police officers, two separate scenes, at least two crimes, and a flashback. That's a lot for three panels. Is "gatekeeping" the right word for when your story constantly moves ahead without ever explaining a single gosh darn thing?

There are a good number of serial comics in papers out there. I always wonder when exactly the reset is so you can understand the context of what is happening?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You've got to wonder what those film rights are actually worth at this point. I know the comic strip has been kinda sorta soft rebooted in the last decade, but it's still not exactly the kind of IP that has people dying to see adaptations.

Nobody was dying to see an adaptation of the Guardians of the Galaxy, either, but the movies have totaled like $1.5 billion gross ticket sales.

1677187821895.png

Guy Ritchie is worse than Uwe Boll. I have no idea how these guys get funding. I think Dick Tracy needs to investigate.

Uwe Boll is a hack. Guy Ritchie is an artist who figured out that there was more money in high budget schlock than art. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and Rocknrolla are masterpieces. Pretty much everything else is just Guy Ritchie selling pieces of his soul (for a good price, I should add. I wish my soul were worth that much).

Remove ads