• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Case Studies in Intellectual Property: Dick Tracy

Alright, I want to clarify what the linked article only obtusely eludes to through a quote from someone's twitter. This is not the first time Beatty has done this with Dick Tracy. He did it before in 2010 with another, not quite so low effort half-hour TCM special (by which I mean I think it was a thing where he planned out and perhaps even scripted things to say, rather than just him riffing while wearing a yellow trenchcoat):
...which is what I thought was being referenced in this thread. But nope, he's just going to keep doing this every so many years until he dies.

So, legally speaking, there is now a Warren Beatty Dick Tracy trilogy.

MGibster

Legend
... it wasn't that bad. And Max Allan Collins apparently liked it enough to write two novels that serve as sequels to his novelization of the film.
That's a completely fair assessment. In the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't that bad and it was successful at the box office even if it wasn't exactly Batman. But then what was Batman besides Batman?

Tier 1 Madonna? Not so bad!
1. Desperately Seeking Susan
2. Evita
3. Vision Quest
4. A League of the Their Own
Nobody's ever heard of Vision Quest. Not even Matthew Modine.

Pedantic

Legend
Uwe Boll is a hack. Guy Ritchie is an artist who figured out that there was more money in high budget schlock than art. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and Rocknrolla are masterpieces. Pretty much everything else is just Guy Ritchie selling pieces of his soul (for a good price, I should add. I wish my soul were worth that much).
I found the Gentlemen a nice return to form, but generally speaking Guy Ritchie is an overachieving director in the one genre he can do, and just miserable when he tries to do anything else.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Guardians of the Galaxy was effectively a brand new property for everyone except for comic book readers though. It also was a relatively recent property as far as those things go

I fail to understand how these two points go together. If it was effectively new, how recent it actually was seems irrelevant.

Kaodi

Hero
Dick Tracy is probably about as relevant today as Zatara. Which is to note that a Zatanna film was in development very recently.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Would anyone want another Dick Tracy movie!? Did anyone want the first one?
All I want from the first Dick Tracey movie is a yellow fedora with a black band. And I know a guy who could make me one.

…I just haven’t decided if I could muster my ego to actually WEAR it.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
Would anyone want another Dick Tracy movie!? Did anyone want the first one?

I still have my commemorative t-shirt from the midnight premiere...

1677227493676.png

Remove ads