Cashing in on the Dragon Type

Nedz

First Post
Actually I think you may still be missing a trick, though this does depend upon interpretation.

If you start with Wizard 5 and Sorceror 1 with PSC(Sorceror) you will be caster level 5 in each.
So at 4th level of UM where it says "+1 level in lower-level existing arcane caster class" you get to choose which class you take a level in. You take Wizard.
Exit at 16th with Wizard 14 and Sorceror 10 with caster levels 18 and 18
At 18th take PCS(Wizard) for +2 CL

Alternatively, and this seems a little bizarre:
If you start with Wizard 5 and Sorceror 2 with PSC(Sorceror) you will be caster level 5 and 6 respectively.
So at 4th and 7th level of UM you get to take a wizard level.
Exit at 17th with Wizard 15 and Sorceror 10 with caster levels 19 and 18
At 18th take PCS(Wizard) for +2 CL

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, you might look at many of the Sorcerer-only spells... they have a lot of nifties for someone of the dragon-blooded type - Wings of Cover and Wings of Flurry (or was that "Fury"? Oh well...) are especially useful.

Herzog

Adventurer
I took a look at Alter Self, and to be honest, couldn't find how to get any good use out of it.

At most, I can get myself some Natural Armor. I can already fly, and all other interesting properties of dragons (like dragon breath) will not be available through this spell (unless I am mistaken)

Can someone point out to me how this is beneficial.

NB: Don't go into Polymorph please. It has less/no restrictions on type, so the benefit from already being a dragon doesn't apply there.

Herzog

Adventurer
Alter Self does not give you supernatural attacks of the new form.
Breath Weapon is a supernatural attack.

The more I look at it, the more I come to think the only benefits you can gain from Alter Self are:
1. Natural Armor
2. Special movement (swim, fly)
3. size increase or decrease.

Depending on your abilities before the change you might even loose Ex abilities (like darkvision) without gaining them again from the new form, even if that form has the same kind of ability....

Jack Simth

First Post
Alter Self does not give you supernatural attacks of the new form.
Breath Weapon is a supernatural attack.

The more I look at it, the more I come to think the only benefits you can gain from Alter Self are:
1. Natural Armor
2. Special movement (swim, fly)
3. size increase or decrease.

Depending on your abilities before the change you might even loose Ex abilities (like darkvision) without gaining them again from the new form, even if that form has the same kind of ability....

You also get natural weapons (So claw/claw/bite, usually), racial skill bonuses (for instance, the Pseudodragon has a +4 racial to Hide... that's in addition to the size bonus), and racial bonus feats (a lot of the tiny creatures get Weapon Finess for free).

Remove ads