• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Casting HOLD PERSON on someone FLYing

rrealm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Not with Fly, but there is with Levitate

Flying 0' per round seems a lot like levitating in place to me....

Would it be out of line to assess a penalty for Hovering and attacking (equal to levitating and attacking)?

If it isn't, the person could obviously “5’-fly[step]”, cancel the penalties and attack.

Or since fly is a more powerful spell than levitate, one added perk is an “improved levitate” to where you can hover and attack without penalties?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
rrealm said:
Flying 0' per round seems a lot like levitating in place to me....

Not really. With Fly, you have lateral control. You can correct automatically for any instability.

With Levitate, you only have vertical control. No corrections for any instability resulting from attacks... unless you take a full round to do some inertial compensation.

-Hyp.

rrealm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Not really. With Fly, you have lateral control. You can correct automatically for any instability.

With Levitate, you only have vertical control. No corrections for any instability resulting from attacks... unless you take a full round to do some inertial compensation.

-Hyp.

Now that you put it that way, it makes perfect sense to not asign a penalty.

Last edited:

CalrinAlshaw

First Post
Also, related to movement during fly, and the fact that medium/heavy armor or a medium/heavy load reduces movement.

Why are you able to carry more while flying just because your muscles are stronger? Shouldn't the fly spell have a strength score added on, to represent how much the fly spell can carry aside from the effected creature?

Calrin Alshaw

Li Shenron

Legend
RigaMortus said:
I don't know if I'd word it like that. If I had a Speed 0, I could still take a free 5' step. Can you take a free 5' step if you are held?

I was expecting someone would have complained about that. :heh: It was just fluff text, ok? In any case, you cannot take any action while held, and that includes of course 5ft steps.

Li Shenron

Legend
Destil said:
With Overland Flight however, since you need to mantain a minimum speed in order to stay aloft I'd have the held person stall out and tumble out of the sky.

I was thinking about this as well, and it's more complicated... Would be funny to try ruling that you keep going straight for a while before falling (imagine a plane which engine suddenly stops, it doesn't turn 90 degrees downward) but I suppose that would be too complicated for a game. :)

Remove ads