(Casual D&D) A Game of Trust

doghead

thotd
Xiao notices the wild men divesting themselves of their weapons after entering. It takes a moment more before he remembers he too is armed - a pair of sai nestled in his small of his back under his coverall, and a couple of shuriken. Oh, and the staff. He doesn't really consider it as a weapon, just something that also happens to be be useful for knocking sence into people.

He props the staff betweeen his legs and against his shoulder. If they want me to take it outside, they can ask. he grumbles to himself.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Guilt Puppy said:
(Oh, he's getting woken up -- the common room is the same room where the guest cots are. No rest for weary gnomes here.

ooc Orbril's still here just noone replied to his entry (I suspect they were all asleep!) so he's feeling deflated and all the other activity is happening outside:) - until now. And he speaks orc

IC Orbril spins about as the new comers enter, but gulps when he sees that they are armed and look rough and ready. For the moment he stays silent eyes wide and waits to se what they might be...

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric, relieved to see people disarming, unhooks his flail from his belt and sets it on the table in front of him. After he does so, he turns around to notice Dre behind him. "By all means, good sir, have a seat at the table, please; you'll be where I can see you." Fendric indicates the space at the corner between himself and Xiao, and locks eyes with Dre.

After Dre sits down (or doesn't), Fendric turns toward the table and asks of noone in particular, "So, was it this 'spirit leader' of yours who greeted us with the animal infestation four days ago? If so, the snakes were a particularly nice touch. And, does anyone know WHY the 'spirit leader' needs so urgently to speak with us? I would also like to know, may the Holy, Radiant Light forgive me: if it's going to take the 'spirit leader' all night to get here, WHY COULDN'T YOU HAVE LEFT US ALONE UNTIL THEN?" Fendric punctuates his speech with the liberal use of 'air-quotes'.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Fendric: Dre regards you with all the enthusiasm of a man eating an unbuttered potato. He doesn't so much as shift his weight at your suggestion...

Kyrr is more expressive in answering your question, but not by much. "I do not know anything about infests. He needs to speak with you because you smell like a dream... a trance he had. I do not remember how it went, but it meant that you should be stopped. At first we thought you would be dangerous, and that is why we did not allow Kentaro to come here himself. We set up a camp for us to talk in. There you could be watched more carefully. But this man," he gestures toward Raven, "says you are not dangerous, but you want to talk here. He will have to be brought. My cousin must travel to get him, then he will travel back. This will take more time. He should be here before sunrise. It is not easy to say, because of the rain clouds."

As far as you can tell, judging by how long it's been since you had a clear sky -- for less than an hour or so after talking to the seer -- that probably means it will be more than an hour.

doghead

thotd
ooc: what time did we arrive at the station? I thought that it was a little after dusk, but from what you said above, and a quick scan of the thread, I now suspect that it was closer to midnight. How long have we been at the station?

Xiao considers the implications of Kryy's words, then turns to Fendric.

"Fendric. No one has slept much since this morning. I think that when this meeting is done, we should take time to do so. Tired people make mistakes."

Xiao knows Kryy, indeed everyone, can hear. He wants it that way. He suspects that they expect everyone will just fall in with their schedule.

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric didn't think he wanted to pick a fight, but these people unsettled him, and irritated him.

"Smell like a reverie he had? You should remind your 'spirit leader' to keep his fingers out of his nose after they've gone tracking through the scat, I think. And I'll do without this... specimen's... eyes drilling through the back of my head, or as the Sun God is my witness, I shall sit him down myself!"

DrZombie

First Post
dpdx said:
Fendric didn't think he wanted to pick a fight, but these people unsettled him, and irritated him.

"Smell like a reverie he had? You should remind your 'spirit leader' to keep his fingers out of his nose after they've gone tracking through the scat, I think. And I'll do without this... specimen's... eyes drilling through the back of my head, or as the Sun God is my witness, I shall sit him down myself!"
"Fendric, I promised these people you'd all listen to them, and talked them out of violence. If you plan to go through this mountain pass I suggest you listen. Insulting their priest will get you nowhere."
" You are greatly outnumbered, within this room as well as without. These people came a long way and agreed to have a civilised talk instead of standing outside with their weaopns drawn. I hoped that you, as a priest, could at least appreciate that." Sarcasm and a little anger at your foolishness colours his voice. He is clearly unhappy with your behavior.
"If five strangers walk through your country smelling of undeath, would you be so trusting? Would you walk to them, unarm yourself and let your elderly wise-man walk in the middle of the night through the rain to their camp instead of just ambushing them and judge those that survive?"

::Gods, if a little lack of sleep unhinges him like that, do I WANT to guide them through the mountains?::

To the mountain men:"they travelled hard and are tired, they know not of your wise man and mean no disrespect. Help yourself to he mead and meat, we will wait for your shaman."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Kyrr leans back in his chair a little as Fendric lets his frustration be known. Either he is slow to anger, quick to hide it, or simply is failing to understand the meaning of Fendric's words. Dre seems completely unaware that he has been spoken of.

He is more responsive to Raven's simpler terms. "I understand. Tell him that we will not make him do more than sit."

As the others begin to eat -- slowly at first, until they are sure they are meant to -- Randlin leans over to Nurthk, speaking in Orcish: "Do you speak your father's language at all?"

Meanwhile, Andu is working with something in his lap... Once it has been packed, he produces a pipe, a small thing made of antler and wrapped leather, and with two small stones and a wrapping of dry brush he has it lit quite a bit more quickly than you'd imagine possible. He passes this to Kyrr, who immediately passes it on to Raven...

As it reaches Yattro, he leans over to Xiao's ear: "This is no halfling pipe-weed. Take only enough to be polite, or there'll be ancestors dancing on this table..." Smiling, he inhales heavily, then passes the pipe along.

(BTW, I have Orbril at the corner between Xiao and Fendric for the moment... Within earshot of that, and any other Orcish comment, for certain.)

Last edited:

Remove ads