• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D IV) A Knight for a Pawn

DrZombie

First Post
dpdx said:
"All right, then: I want... a castle. A small one, but I want to build it. I was just thinking of whether I wanted it surrounded by a moat and drawbridge, or not.

See? Boring. Bo-o-o-ooring.
"

"Indeed not! That is wonderful! You would not wish to possess an existing castle, but instead build a stronghold of your own. I admire that, Brother Hiritus. I promise you that I do.

But if you do decide upon the moat and drawbridge, I would leave enough ground in the center for a vegetable garden.
"

Hiritus is now smiling.

"Well, hiritus, just make sure you've got plenty of woods around the castle, so I can end my life as a forrester, or a master of the hunt. Or maybe I'll buy myself a small inn nearby, so you can come down for an ale and listen to my tall tales of how we slew the dragon or somesuch nonsense.
Offcourse, I'd probably get bored after a few years, but still, boredom sounds nice once in a while."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"I bid you farewell, then" Kethett responds, briefly, "and good luck. And be careful with Peltram... Don't let him talk you into anything, just deliver the letter and go. Or so I would advise. He has a rather unpleasant reputation, and shouldn't be trusted."

Upon leaving the temple, Shavah reminds Fendric -- with a restrained sort of eagerness -- to issue the sendings he'd been planning. She tries to pass it off as mere dutiful, helpful prodding, for the most part, but exposes her own investment in one short request: "Find out who is well, if you can." After that, she is silent.

As for Valsport, Aerda's map seems to show two equally viable paths -- one along the coast, one through the city of Ambree -- which should probably represent the same amount of travel time (just short of two days); a third option, to sail across the bay, seems likely to be available as well, although it is unclear just how much more quickly this would bring you to your destination.

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric smiles at Shavah. "Yes, I remember."

As they walk toward the stable to retrieve their horses, Fendric follows along in quiet contemplation of the messages (and recipients) he will issue. As they arrive, Fendric separates himself from the group and begins to meditate.

Forming the mental image of his former mentor, Father Brewek of the temple in Hedrogura, Fendric says the full name, and begins the first sending:

"Still on mission - Exantrius died two days after Hedrogura. Leaving Despia for Valsport. Desperate for any good news. Are my brothers well? Praying for you."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
It is a moment before Brewek returns with his response:

"Hedrogura cannot be held. Fight now to slow progress inland. Don't return until peacetime. Proud of you. Good news will come later." He concludes with an abbreviated adage of encouragement: "Sun shall rise."

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric beams with the news that Father Brewek is alive and well. Encouraged, he tries his second sending.

Forming the image of "Lanatus of the Heironean Guard of Bethel," he says the same to preface his prayer, and creates his second message:

"All are well, all desperate to hear good news of Guard. Has Premule been found? Leaving Despia for Valsport. Blessings upon you, Shavah's best wishes."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Lanatus' response is quicker than Father Brewek's, with less evident attempt to spare feelings:

"Need help badly. Premule believed dead. Temple leadership captured, killed, missing. Mercenaries from South arriving, more daily. Anarchy all cities. Allies needed -- please find quickly."

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric loads Vespers with alacrity. Leading Vespers out of the stables at a half-trot, he arrives outside to where the others are making preparations. Quickly, he finds Shavah, and attempts to lead her out of earshot. Softly, he whispers to her:

"I reached Lanatus."

As they go around the corner, he still speaks softly:

"I shall not attempt to lighten what he had to say, Light Give Me Strength. It was:

"Need help badly. Premule believed dead. Temple leadership captured, killed, missing. Mercenaries from South arriving, more daily. Anarchy all cities. Allies needed -- please find quickly."

I should mention that you have our complete support, however you decide to respond to Lanatus' message. I should also mention that I cannot cast that spell again until tomorrow. But you deserved to hear it first.
"

Fendric then walks Vespers back to the middle of the party.

"My friends, I have received word from Hedrogura. It is under seige, but yet my Brothers, and the last stalwart warriors of that City, endure, May the Light Shower Ample Blessings Upon Them All. In fact, Hedroguran resistance has delayed the onward march of the brigand army, for which I also thank the Radiant Light.

However, the news from Bethel, and from our friends in the Heironean Guard, is more dire. They are in desparate need of help, the City is in anarchy, Father Premule is still lost and presumed dead, and Temple leadership is withering.

I wish I could tell you better news, but it seems to me at least, to be no worse than it was the day we left.
"

DrZombie

First Post
"How many more letters do we need to deliver, Fendric?" Raven asks.
"And when all letters are delivered, then what? Go to war? Try to find suport? Raise some funds and gather mercenaries? Try to find this Father Premule?"

dpdx

Explorer
"I am appreciative that you asked, Raven: After Peltram in Valsport, we have two letters remaining, both in the Kingdom of Tourne.

In the coming days, I will be sending to many more people that we have encountered on our travels. I suppose it may become clearer after I have heard from them, what there is to do after the letters have been delivered. For now, however, I do not know.
"

Remove ads