• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Catching Up With PATHFINDER ONLINE

Pathfinder Online has a new release designed for new players - the 9th release since January. It includes a 15-day free trial period (after which it will cost you $15 per month). At Paizocon this year, a new trailer was released - it features Nhur Athemon, from the Emerald Spire Superdungeon. Add to this new creatures such as Duergar and Elementals, Pathfinder Online seems to be picking up steam!

Pathfinder Online has a new release designed for new players - the 9th release since January. It includes a 15-day free trial period (after which it will cost you $15 per month). At Paizocon this year, a new trailer was released - it features Nhur Athemon, from the Emerald Spire Superdungeon. Add to this new creatures such as Duergar and Elementals, Pathfinder Online seems to be picking up steam!

Paizo CEO Lis Stevens posted a blog about the game here, and will apparently be doing so each week from now on.

[video=youtube;ZvEcquJFYkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvEcquJFYkc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I almost jumped on board the kickstarter for this, especially when I was havin fun with pathfinder. The interest in the Pathfinder RPG was waning even before 5e came out. I also realized I'm not the person who used to enjoy sitting behind a PC monitor for 4 hours raiding for stuff 8 years ago in WoW. I appreciate the feeback in this thread as I'll glance at it when it comes out fully but not something I'm looking forward to...like I am for Sword Coast Legends.

As far as the earlier post about we found something Paizo finally doesn't do well...I'll throw in their Mythic rule set as another :)

edit - just watched the video above...wow that is terrible animation for the Lich, just grab a Halloween skeleton and move the jaw with your own hand gives better results for talking!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not a Pathfinder fan anymore but I was on this KS only for the Emerald Spire pdf. The rest of my group are Pathfinder fans and showed them the progression thru the KS updates. To be nice, they were not impressed at all, most of it due to the graphics. I'm still stunned this got funded with all the other MMO's running about. I just wonder how long before it goes to a Free Service.

Well speaking for myself I helped fund it more to get the emerald spire book than the actual MMO and I suspect a lot of other people were the same.

Hey I finally got to play it.

Hmmm. Yeh....well, I guess it might be better than Alganon?* It might also be almost as good as Chaos & Order online,** at least graphically....ummm. I'll probably try logging in one more time to see if I can get anywhere, but it's got a long way to go before it looks like it can compete with even the lowest tier MMOs out there right now.

EDIT: I think Goblinworks missed the boat here, unfortuntately. When the PO project started three years ago MMOs still looked like a viable way to make it big. Now, it is clear that they were jumping in right before the field turned ugly, so much so that even AAA games like Elder Scrolls Online have issues (and PO is to TESO like my kid's scooter is to my car).

So what's big today? Divinity: Original Sin, Sword Coast Legends, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2.....we really could have had a Pathfinder game had it jumped in to the sudden craze for the return of isometric deep-story focus RPGs.

*To save you the horror of finding and loading this one: it's an older WoW-clone on a severe budget that plays much like you might imagine ass would. It was not "horrible" in the sense that my wife and i both enjoyed it for a few hours, but it was ultimately still a very bad game with a lot of problems.

**Order & Chaos online is one of the few halfway fun Android-based RPGs out there. If PO were being designed for play on Android it would kick O&C's ass most likely (once it had some sort of structure to questing that was easy to figure out, anyway....and better feedback on the controls....and easier UI to navigate and understand). Hmmm on second tought I guess O&C would probably win for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:

keterys

First Post
I've played lots of MMOs, because I have friends who like jumping around and playing them for a bit then stopping and I'll generally play any game that several of my friends are playing, cause really that's what's more important to me.

One thing I've found true of every MMO I've played - the first several months are turbulent. Systems change, classes are rebalanced, they realize they only had a month's worth of content and don't fix it until a few months in, etc. So I have a policy of _not_ playing an MMO until several months after its launch. That policy means that in theory I won't be trying PFO out for quite a long time.

PFO is trying to attract a paying customer base during its alpha and beta periods, and I really don't understand how that's going to work for them. I really want to be supportive here. I understand it's a tough field, and I imagine there are a lot of bills to pay.

I agree that I'd have cheerfully hopped in on a tablet or PC isometric RPG, though. A Pathfinder equivalent to Shadowrun Returns? Sure!

Remove ads

Remove ads