• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Catlord companion animal hit dice limit

RobNJ

Explorer
I have a player who has a 5th level Druid/3rd level Catlord. The Catlord is allowed cat companion animal(s) of up to his hit dice x 2, even if he's an adventurer. Would this stack with the druid's animal companion abilities (thus allowing an 8 HD dire tiger or even an 11 hit die dire tiger that has been Advanced), or should each pool of animal companions be treated separately?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd say the new limit supercedes the old limit, but doesn't stack with it. Thus, he can have 16HD worth of cats, but not an additional 5HD for being a 5th lvl druid. Make sense?

RobNJ

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I'd say the new limit supercedes the old limit, but doesn't stack with it. Thus, he can have 16HD worth of cats, but not an additional 5HD for being a 5th lvl druid. Make sense?
More or less. So your read is that this character would be able to have up to a 5 hit die animal of any kind and up to a 6 hit die cat.

What about the precident with wizards and their familiars? If you are a wizard and a sorcerer, your wizard + sorcerer levels are used to determined the ability of your familiar.

Spatula

Explorer
RobNJ said:
More or less. So your read is that this character would be able to have up to a 5 hit die animal of any kind and up to a 6 hit die cat.
Does MotW say the limit is "hit dice x 2" or "class level x 2"? You said hit dice in your original post, which would give the catlord a limit of 16 HD for a feline companion (since the character has 8 levels/hit dice).

RobNJ

Explorer
Spatula said:

Does MotW say the limit is "hit dice x 2" or "class level x 2"? You said hit dice in your original post, which would give the catlord a limit of 16 HD for a feline companion (since the character has 8 levels/hit dice).
Good question. Sorry I wasn't clear about this from the start:

Page 45, Masters of the Wild states, "Animal bond also allows the animal lord to have one or more animal companions chosen from among her selected group. This aspect of animal bond is a spell-like ability that functions like a druid's animal friendship spell, except that the animal lord can acquire companions only from among her selected group, and her maximum Hit Dice of animal companions (whether or not she adventures) equals twice her animal lord level."

Remove ads