• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Catwoman and Bourne Supremacy

LostSoul

Adventurer
I saw The Bourne Supremacy last night, and I thought it was a really good spy movie. None of that stupid "shoot at my feet while I run away in a straight line" crap.

I liked the camera direction because it gave me a feeling of fast-paced, frenetic action. You couldn't really tell exactly what was going on, and I thought that was a little more realistic than having a ballet-inspired fight scene.

Sirius_Black

First Post
I just saw Bourne Supremacy with my two ladies this afternoon. We all enjoyed the film and it was really well done.

I had an amusing moment with Catwoman when getting our tickets.

Young Lady at the Ticket Booth: "There might be a line forming inside already for this showing."

Me: "Okay, I'll sure it will be easy to find. <pause> Unless there is another line for Catwoman?"

Guy selling tickets next to her bursts out laughing overhearing this. The girl looks down, trying to keep a straight face. "No sir," she finally manages, a smile on her face.

Me: "Didn't think so."

I love a receptive audience and based upon what I saw on Friday's Box Office, I don't think there will be any lines for Catwoman showings.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Bourne Supremecy is worth the price of admission for the car chase alone. Easily one of the best car chase scenes I've ever seen. It's almost on par with the chases in Ronin.

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
I saw Borne Supremacy again today. (My first time was because my neighbor needed someone to see it with--today was planned a week ago with my wife.) This time around, I saw way to the back of the theater. It was much better that way. The jittery camera stuff wasn't as bad. Great movie.

Kai Lord

Hero
Saw Bourne today, thought it was very well done. The car chase is indeed one of the best ever put on film. But one thing that got to me was the uncomfortable level of "realistic" violence in two scenes.

They were:

When Jason strangles the guy on the floor
and when he
interrogates Julia Stiles' character. Particularly the latter scene. I felt a bit disturbed watching the guy I was supposed to be rooting for holding a gun to a basically innocent girl's head as she sobs in terror. Kudos to Stiles for so expertly selling the scene, but in a movie where Bourne is the good guy and takes pains not to kill either Agamemnon or Eomer because his old girlfriend wouldn't approve, his terror tactics against Stiles felt all the more out of place.

Otherwise it was a very good spy thriller, and had me smiling in approval a number of times at just how entertaining the cat and mouse build up was done.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Kai Lord said:
and when he
interrogates Julia Stiles' character. Particularly the latter scene. I felt a bit disturbed watching the guy I was supposed to be rooting for holding a gun to a basically innocent girl's head as she sobs in terror. Kudos to Stiles for so expertly selling the scene, but in a movie where Bourne is the good guy and takes pains not to kill either Agamemnon or Eomer because his old girlfriend wouldn't approve, his terror tactics against Stiles felt all the more out of place.

Apparantly, he rolled a natural 20 on his intimidation check. ;)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Took the family on an outing Friday. My daughter Adrienne insisted we see Catwoman. She and my son Christopher both enjoyed the movie. So did I. I think my wife Katrina did also, but she won't admit it.

Anyone who was expecting great theater probably thinks Halle Berry actually earned an Oscar and, therefore, deserves to be disappointed in a woman who is a grade-B actress appearing in what is an almost self-consciously grade-B film.

:D

Holy Bovine

First Post
Kai Lord said:
They were:

and when he

Otherwise it was a very good spy thriller, and had me smiling in approval a number of times at just how entertaining the cat and mouse build up was done.

For the first scene you mention I don't think Jason had much of a choice at that point. He knew there would be no mercy from the other guy and had to act accordingly. For his real reaction to that fight check out his actions and facial expressions latter in the bathroom as he cleans up.

For the second scene I think it merely underscored the fact that Jason will not let anyone or anything get in the way of his goals. He felt that person had information he needed. He was prepared to use any means necessary to get it.
he didn't kill or harm her - just got her to point of sheer terror whne any thought of lying to him would have been stripped away - it was fast and dirty but Jason by that time was relying on speed and stealth to get to his goals. he simply didn't have time to waste 'coddling' her to get the info he wanted

Kai Lord

Hero
Holy Bovine, I already know why Bourne did those things, I just didn't feel that those were the best directions for the story to go in. They could have thought of all manner of clever ways for him to get the information he received without ever
going the "scar an innocent person for life" route. I can't imagine his ex-girlfriend would have been too fond of that maneuver.

Same with the strangulation scene. This isn't Saving Private Ryan. It was unnecessary and took away from the "fun" of a summer spy thriller when we see a prolonged, gurgling death like that, even if the guy technically did die off camera. Obviously you expect the good guy to kill some bad guys, but for the *one* scene in which he did, I just didn't think it fit the movie.

Last edited:

Harp

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Saw Bourne today, thought it was very well done. The car chase is indeed one of the best ever put on film. But one thing that got to me was the uncomfortable level of "realistic" violence in two scenes.

They were:

I actually found these to be two of the more affecting scenes in the movie. A bit of a slap in the face and a feeling of, "Whoa. He ain't pickin' daisies here."

They also remind us of what he was trained to do, and what psychological toll that training took on him. All of which leads to my impression that this movie was just a bit darker than your standard lightweight summer popcorn fare. Which, I believe, was well hinted at in the trailers, with him training a sniper rifle on a roomful of CIA staff.

Just my thoughts, of course.

Remove ads