Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

JimAde

First Post
Erethinol steps lithely down the slope to the floor of the large chamber. She quickly finds some convenient stalagmites off to the left (toward the chamber where the spiders came from) and vanishes behind them. Ery can now see the other chamber a bit better, and it appears to be another natural cavern chamber. She doesn't see any activity there.

Lucas returns his attention to the sensor he left at the bottom of the sinkhole. He raises it back out and sends it down the slippery-looking slope on the far side. Soon it reaches the wooden structure built above the large shaft. This structure consists of a platform at about the same level as the main tunnel, but affixed to the far side of the shaft. Rickety-looking ladders rise from the platform to another palisaded platform about 15' above the main tunnel level. Ladders also descend into the darkness of the shaft. Lucas sends the sensor down and again sees the platform about 40' below. This time, though, he clearly sees a single bugbear standing on the plaftorm, looking intently upward.

Where to, next? Also, the spell only lasts 8 minutes. It's going to expire soon. Between climbing the talus field outside, your earlier exploring and the fight, there are about 2 minutes duration left.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
JimAde said:
Erethinol steps lithely down the slope to the floor of the large chamber. She quickly finds some convenient stalagmites off to the left (toward the chamber where the spiders came from) and vanishes behind them. Ery can now see the other chamber a bit better, and it appears to be another natural cavern chamber. She doesn't see any activity there.

Lucas returns his attention to the sensor he left at the bottom of the sinkhole. He raises it back out and sends it down the slippery-looking slope on the far side. Soon it reaches the wooden structure built above the large shaft. This structure consists of a platform at about the same level as the main tunnel, but affixed to the far side of the shaft. Rickety-looking ladders rise from the platform to another palisaded platform about 15' above the main tunnel level. Ladders also descend into the darkness of the shaft. Lucas sends the sensor down and again sees the platform about 40' below. This time, though, he clearly sees a single bugbear standing on the plaftorm, looking intently upward.

Where to, next? Also, the spell only lasts 8 minutes. It's going to expire soon. Between climbing the talus field outside, your earlier exploring and the fight, there are about 2 minutes duration left.
Lucas quickly relates all that he has seen to his companions "I don't have much time left before my spell expires, so I'm going to scout as much as possible. Hopefully I'll be able to find the prisoners before it runs out."

JimAde

First Post
Lucas closes his eyes again and his perspective rushes down the shaft. As it passes the lower platform, Lucas notices that there is a bridge across the shaft at this point, leading to a side chamber. His magically-enhanced vision shows that the side chamber seems to contain over a dozen rude cots and bedrolls, as well as several more bugbears. They all seem to be on alert and several of them have bows drawn and trained on the chamber entrance. He also sees that there are numerous ropes and rope ladders coiled on the plaftorm which would presumably allow one to reach the cave floor below.

Speaking of which, the shaft finally ends some 100 feet below your current level. At the bottom is a tunnel which runs off toward the west ("under" where you are now) and what might be another tunnel running east. It's hard to tell because the eastern opening is completely sealed with sheets of thick webbing.

Lucas sends the sensor racing down the open tunnel, trying to get a feel for as much of the cave and tunnel system as he can before the spell expires. The tunnel contines for a hundred feet or more, and the sensor is probably about directly under you when Lucas first spots the end of the tunnel. Getting closer he sees that the tunnel slopes down slightly into a small natural cavern that is flooded. Several buckets and waterskins lie empty at the edge of the water and Lucas gets the distinct impression that the water is flowing slowly. There's no way to know how deep the water is.

Lucas's eyes regain their focus as the spell expires.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
After relating these facts to his companions "It seems we'll have to expolre further to discover where the prisioners are beaing detained, also it seems we have a number of obstacles to overcome firstly their is the big chamber ahead of us, which seems to guard the hole leading down into this complex, then we have the guards protecting the shaft itself, not to mention an unknown amount of Monstous Spiders Ettercaps, Bugbears and other humanoids"

Looking around his companions Lucas's face takes on an almost childish look of excitment, Lucas then continues to speak in a hushed but pasionate voice "I have a plan of sorts.." Lucas ignores the usual amused looks this statement normally get from his friends

"At the moment the whole place is on alert for us, if I can successfully gain control of a Bugbear via a spell, I'll be able to send him ahead of us telling everyone else that they have overcome the invaders, also if I can get him to the leader he can give the leader a 'magical scroll' he found on the body of the wizard"

Lucas grins and pats the scrollcase which contains the parchment with the explosive runes on them, smiling Lucas looks around his friends while pantomiming looking at a scroll which goes boom.

"Like usual I have prepared a 'Rope Trick' spell, so we so we could tamper with the ropes leading down into the hole and then hide, then we can give them a nasty surprise when they make it to the top, such as a fully powered fireball."

OOC: It comes as no surprise to the rest of the group that Lucas comes up with a sneaky plan that involves things being blown up.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble nods, "Okay, that sounds okay. What happens if you can't get the control of a bugbear?"

Ranger Rick

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Girble nods, "Okay, that sounds okay. What happens if you can't get the control of a bugbear?"

"Have faith and do not sweat the details...." Donnybrook, looks hard at Lucas, "Well...will you get one under control?"

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
"Well If I don't manage to get control of a bugbear, then I guess we systematically go thru this place slaughtering all opposition, so really it's a win win situation"

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Ranger Rick said:
"Have faith and do not sweat the details...." Donnybrook, looks hard at Lucas, "Well...will you get one under control?"
Lucas nod nervously I can't believe there all going along with one of my plans, obviously they don't remember what happened last time "Have faith Donny, I'll try my best. Afterall if I fail I haven't made things any worse than they already are" hopefully

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery pokes her head out of hiding and shrugs her shoulders in a what's happening sort of movement, she then twirls her hands in an action that could be construed as meaning let's get on with it before ducking back into the shadows.

Remove ads