• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

Lord_Raven88

First Post
"Okay so lets go see if there is anyone guarding the hole, if there is only one bugbear then leave him to me, otherwise if there are more than one, I'll go for the one on the right, if there are no suitable targets I'll go for the Bugbear that is guarding the shaft."

"I'll let you know if I've been successful, otherwise I'll leave everyone else up to you guys to deal with the rest."

"Also before we go, I'll use my wands to increase Donny's and Sirius's size and strength"

I really hope this spell works, otherwise I'm never gonna here the end of this

OOC: Lucas uses 2 charges on his Wands of Enlarge Person & Bulls Strength. Duration: 9 minutes, +6 Str Bonus -2 Dex -1AC Large Size: 10' reach. Assuming they both want this of course.

Last edited:

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery Elf Rogue

While her friends discuss the next move Ery scans the ceiling. Hearing Lucas mention the shaft Ery stands and holds out her arm palm up, after a moment she lowers 2 fingers and her thumb so only two fingers remain in the air. Touching her chest and then pointing to the opening Ery stealthily makes her way towards the lip of the hole, sticking to the shadows and moving as silenty as possible.

JimAde

First Post
Ery moves out of the chamber you all currently occupy, through a short tunnel and into the next chamber. The others follow at a discreet distance (I assume). As she enters the next chamber, the ever-present faint reek of corruption in the cave shoots to an almost intolerable stench. She sees the sinkhole that Lucas described, and knows enough to skirt it, since it's been used for who knows how long as a garbage pit/toilet by the cave's residents. Restraining her gag reflex, she moves past the hole and through yet another short tunnel.

This one ends in a fairly steep and slippery-looking downslope. At the bottom of that slope is the 100 foot shaft Lucas described. On the far side of the shaft, at the same level as the bottom of the slope and near the edge of her vision, she sees the wooden plaftorm. A ladder leads up from this platform to another platform about 15 feet above, near Ery's current level. The upper platform is surounded by a short palisade-style wall made of wooden stakes.

Another ladder descends from the lower platform into the darkness below.

Just as she finishes her observation and is preparing to return to her friends, Ery senses something amiss. She leaps to the side just as she sees two forms rise up from behind the palisade on the upper platform. Each looks to be about her size but seems to have more than the traditional number of limbs. One intones arcane words and two blazing green bolts shoot form its eyes, slamming into her painfully. The other extends its "hands" toward her and she sees the now-familiar sight of webbing shooting from it. The webs drop to the ground in the spot she had just occupied, missing her cleanly.

Damage from Magic Missiles: 7 HP, Webs missed due to Ery's Uncanny Dodge ability. Grr... :)

Everyone hears the spell go off, so:
Initiatives
Lucas 14 + 6 = 20
Ery 12 + 4 = 16
Sirius 11 + 1 = 12, modified to 13 to break the tie
Enemies 12
Girble 5 + 5 = 10
Donnybrook 3 + 4 = 7

The rest of the party is about 30 ft. back from Ery.

Ferrix

Explorer
Lord_Raven88 said:
"Well If I don't manage to get control of a bugbear, then I guess we systematically go thru this place slaughtering all opposition, so really it's a win win situation"

"I like that idea!" Sirius barks, he hefts his axe and shield, noticing some additional gore on the blade of his axe, he flicks it off. On hearing Ery's reaction to the unsuspected attack by the two Ettercaps, Sirius roars happily.

"Looks like we go with plan B Lucas! Get some cover Ery! The dwarf yells dropping to the side, stowing his shield and axe, his hands already reaching for the longbow.

OOC: Ooops.

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Ferrix, please re-read my descriptions in the last post. The creatures attacking Ery are about 90 feet from your current position, and there is a slippery slope leading to a 20' wide, 100' deep shaft straight down between you and them. There is no obvious way across the shaft.

I'll post a bit of map as soon as I can manage it.

EDIT: for clarity and to fix a typo. "p0 feet"? :)

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
ooc: Ferrix is still 30' from us, though? You said you had assumed we'd stay about that far back.

JimAde

First Post
I have attached a map to this post. I had to reduce the colors to get it under the file size limit. It's a side view of part of the cave complex. You guys are at the top, as you can see. As far as I know, Ery is forward and everybody else is together in the stinky sinkhole room (about 30 feet behind Ery). Sirius can't charge because there's no way for him to reach the bad guys on foot.

I'm sorry if I haven't been clear. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• PartialMap1ColorReduced.bmp
    117.5 KB · Views: 90

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius growls to Lucas, "you got one of them feather fall spells in yer head? I got an idea." The dwarf grins with his patently crazy smile.

Remove ads