• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

JimAde

First Post
The bugbear stomps off the bridge into the barracks room and Lucas loses sight of him*.

The adventurers cross the surprisingly well-built drawbridge to the platform across the pit. They begin descending the ladder there which leads some forty feet down to another platform and bridge where the now-absent bugbear was standing.

*Of course the domination still applies, and the nicely-chosen command does not give him a new save. I need a "marching" order for going down the laddre, please, one at a time of course. Please have that discussion and decision in the OOC thread.

JimAde

First Post
Erethinol begins making her way silently down the ladder. She moves quickly and when she's a little over half-way down, Sirius moves to follow her. Everyone is on the way down by the time Ery reaches the bottom, with Lucas floating slowly down through mid-air.

Ery moves across the cluttered platform, and crouches behind a convenient barrel. She peers into the barracks cavern and sees a group of at least six bugbears standing around discussing something. Two of them are looking intently at something on the floor she can't see. All the bugbears look...bemused. She sees one shake his head and raise his hands in a very clear "I have no idea" gesture.

Sirius is near the bottom of the ladder. Though the heavily armored warriors are making what Ery considers an unforgivable racket, the bugbears don't seem to have noticed anything yet. But all they have to do is turn around to clearly see those on the ladder.

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius finishes his descent to the floor, clanging and battering his way down with his magically giant body doing a less than good job of keeping quiet. "What they doin'?" He asks his companions as he drops to the floor with a bang, pulling his shield and axe into the ready.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery grits her teeth and shakes her head at the display of stealth shown by her companions "At least they'll make my attack all the more surprising she thinks to herself as she eagerly anticipates the feel of her blade sinking into bugbear flesh.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
"Ooh, let me just get ready a bit here..." Girble concentrates a bit...

[sblock]How many spells can I get off? And who would like buff spells? I have:
Bear's Endurance (+4 enhancement bonus to Con)
Bull's Strength (+4 enhancement bonus to Str)
Shield of Faith (+3 deflection bonus to AC)
Prot Evil (+2 deflection to AC and to saves)
Magic Vestment (I don't think helps anyone)

I'll cast Divine Power on myself at the last round availble to me. Before that, I'd take a Bear's Endurance, maybe, to myself and a Shield of Faith (and use Divine Shield, but that's not a spell), but anyone can have any of the spells if you like (I can cast any one of them twice)[/sblock]

JimAde

First Post
Quiet before the storm

Everyone tries to descend the ladder as quietly as possible, with mixed results. As far as Ery can tell, though, none of the bugbears hears anything as they continue to discuss something among themselves.

Girble quickly begins prayers to Yondalla, asking her to bless the warriors' efforts. First he touches Erethinol's shoulder and she feels strength and vigor flow through her veins.

Both Bear's Endurance and Bull's Strength, with modifiers as listed by Jdvn1.

He then turns to Sirius and lays his hand on the immense dwarf's knee. A rosy nimbus briefly flares around him. Girble looks toward Donnybrook, but on the crowded landing he can't readily reach the ranger. Instead he raises his shield and feels the grace of Yondalla cover him.

Just then, Ery sees one of the bugbears take up a bow and turn angrily in the party's direction, apparently having lost an argument concerning who should replace the departed bugbear on guard duty. As he emerges he freezes at the sight of four heavily armed adventurers, two of them immense.

His single muttered word needs no translation.

Ok, let's declare actions. The bugbear is surprised, but both he and the others in the barracks will get actions in the first regular round (they know something is up so they aren't completely off guard). Everybody gets a standard action, so if Girble wants to spend his casting Divine Power, he can. Those who got buffs please put them in the title of your post to help me remember.
I skipped the buff on Donnybrook because, to be honest, I don't want to have to keep track of it since Ranger Rick isn't around.
Oh, and by the way, I got my internet connection working again at home, so I might be able to post this week-end if people are ready. Woot!

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Seeing the look of surprise of the Bugbears face Lucas can't help but grin at the Bugbears prediciment speaking quickly in the spiderery language of magic Lucas points his finger at a Bugbear inside of the cave, a scorching ray of fiery energy flys towards his target, Lucas then shifts his aim and fires another ray of energy at a different Bugbear

OOC: Lucas cast Scorching Ray and targets two bugbears inside of the room:
+7 ranged touch attack 4d6 damage each (no save)

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius on the rampage!

Sirius hefts his heavy axe and the shield as large as a man, a smile breaks his face, "run," he almost whispers to the bugbear with a shake of his weapon and shield.

OOC: Intimidate +14 (+10 base, +4 for being one size larger); DC = 1d20+bugbears HD+wis modifier

Statblock
Affected by: Shield of Faith (+2 deflection), Enlarge (large size, +2 str, -2 dex), Bull's Strength (+4 str)
Large Size, Reach 10', Speed 30'
AC 25 (10 base, 9 armor, 3 shield, 1 dodge, 1 natural, 2 deflection), DR 3/-
Melee Attack: +1 adamantine waraxe +16/+11 (2d8+9, 19-20/x3)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Not expecting to have started fighting so soo, Girble pulls out... a rod. He looks up at the bugbear then back down at his item. A rod. He smiles, waves the rod around, and puts it back.

ooc: How far is the closer Bugbear?

We need initiatives too, right? Mine's +5.

I'm Extending a Divine Power. So...
[sblock=Battle Notes]Spell/Effect--Target--Rounds Left
Bear's End - Ery - 85
Bull's Str - Ery - 86
Shield of Faith - Sirius - 87
Divine Shield - Girble - 38
Div Power - Girble - 17[sblock=Girble's Notes]hp: 84 (9 temp, 75 normal)
AC: 28
Attack: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2 (edited b/c I took into account Str increase but not BAB increase)
Grapple: +4[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery (Bulls Strength and Bears Endurance)

Ery steels herself for an attack, waiting until she can catch one of the bugbears flat footed and unleash a devastating sneak attack with her long sword.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads