• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

JimAde

First Post
Girble scrambles down the ladder with the others in pursuit. Looking down the shaft as he climbs, he can't see anything, but his view is very restricted. The narrow shaft drops some 15 feet before it opens into a larger space. A stone floor can be seen 15 or 20 feet below that. The rope ladder descends all the way to the floor. Girble is not under attack at the moment. Care to take 10 on the DC 5 Climb check and go slow or try to hurry and roll against a DC 10?

Ery easily dances across the swaying bridge No need to even roll and leaps into the barracks cave, drawing her blade in a graceful arc. She rushes to the rope ladder and starts down after Girble, hampered by trying to negotiate the ladder one-handed. This will raise the climb DC, but Ery's modifier is high enough that she can still take 10 and auto-succeed even when hurrying.

Sirius fidgets impatiently, waiting for Lucas to return him to his proper size so he can make it through the tunnel Or so I assume, Ferrix can change this action if he hurries...

Donnybrook lumbers across the fraying bridge, but his massive bulk is too much for it. The main stays give way and he is suddenly plummeting through the darkness!

Lord Raven can change action. I didn't check if you have Feather Fall prepped. :) It's 20 or 30 feet to the floor of the main shaft from here, and Lucas saw earlier that the main shaft has a side-tunnel at its bottom that likely connects with the small shaft that Girble and Ery are descending.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
JimAde said:
Girble scrambles down the ladder with the others in pursuit. Looking down the shaft as he climbs, he can't see anything, but his view is very restricted. The narrow shaft drops some 15 feet before it opens into a larger space. A stone floor can be seen 15 or 20 feet below that. The rope ladder descends all the way to the floor. Girble is not under attack at the moment. Care to take 10 on the DC 5 Climb check and go slow or try to hurry and roll against a DC 10?

Ery easily dances across the swaying bridge No need to even roll and leaps into the barracks cave, drawing her blade in a graceful arc. She rushes to the rope ladder and starts down after Girble, hampered by trying to negotiate the ladder one-handed. This will raise the climb DC, but Ery's modifier is high enough that she can still take 10 and auto-succeed even when hurrying.

Sirius fidgets impatiently, waiting for Lucas to return him to his proper size so he can make it through the tunnel Or so I assume, Ferrix can change this action if he hurries...

Donnybrook lumbers across the fraying bridge, but his massive bulk is too much for it. The main stays give way and he is suddenly plummeting through the darkness!

Lord Raven can change action. I didn't check if you have Feather Fall prepped. :) It's 20 or 30 feet to the floor of the main shaft from here, and Lucas saw earlier that the main shaft has a side-tunnel at its bottom that likely connects with the small shaft that Girble and Ery are descending.
Seeing Sirius impatient glare Lucas concentrates briefly and dismisses the Enlarge Person Spell cast upon Sirius, turning to repeat the action to Donnybrook, Lucas is momentaily shocked to see Donnybrook attempt to cross the bridge in his enlarged form. Lucas manages to squak out "Donny wait no.." before watching helplessly as his friend plummets to the floor below.

Jumping the railings of the platform Lucas waits until he is 10' away from the floor before activate his boots of levitation to slow his decent.

JimAde

First Post
I was hoping to hear from Ferrix, but we'll forge on without him for now.

Girble continues down the swaying rope ladder as quickly as he can, using only one hand. As he reaches the point where the ladder emerges from the ceiling below he suddenly hears a gutteral shout and feels searing pain in his leg. He sees several bugbear archers in a circle who were clearly waiting for him to emerge.

Three arrows clatter around Girble, one of them connecting for a total of 8 points of damage.

Ery and Sirius are stuck higher up the ladder behind Girble, unable to get past the halfling.

Lucas drops after Donnybrook toward the ground below. He sees that Donnybrook and the remains of the bridge have slammed down onto a pile of rock at the bottom of the shaft. He sees the enlarged dwarf roll to his feet and retrieve his bow, limping slightly.

A portion of the shattered bridge rips through the webs Lucas earlier saw covering the Eastern wall at the base of the shaft. Lucas sees that the webs weren't covering a wall, but another passage!

Need actions again, especially from jdvn1. Will Girble try to climb back up? Drop the 15 feet to the ground and open a can of whoop-@ss on the bugbears? Call the fury of Yondalla? All of the above?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
[sblock=OOC]ooc: Ohmygosh, I completely forgot I hadn't replied to this. I knew what I was going to do, so I assumed I posted it already. :confused:
JimAde said:
I would have tried to hurry and roll against DC 10, since if I fall I still accomplish the goal of going down. ;)[/sblock]
JimAde said:
Girble continues down the swaying rope ladder as quickly as he can, using only one hand. As he reaches the point where the ladder emerges from the ceiling below he suddenly hears a gutteral shout and feels searing pain in his leg. He sees several bugbear archers in a circle who were clearly waiting for him to emerge.

Three arrows clatter around Girble, one of them connecting for a total of 8 points of damage.

Ery and Sirius are stuck higher up the ladder behind Girble, unable to get past the halfling.
Need actions again, especially from jdvn1. Will Girble try to climb back up? Drop the 15 feet to the ground and open a can of whoop-@ss on the bugbears? Call the fury of Yondalla? All of the above?
ooc: I vote "whoop-@ss." ;) Using the fury of Yondalla, of course (still in effect :p). I'm not sure how much I can do here...

Reaching the ground, Girble positions himself to run at the archers. Again, the image of a child running at you with a stick isn't particularly scary, but he's got Yondalla by his side.
[sblock=Battle Notes (assuming 2 rounds have gone by since my last update)]Spell/Effect - Target - Rounds Left
Bear's End - Ery - 82
Bull's Str - Ery - 83
Shield of Faith - Sirius - 46
Divine Shield - Girble - 35
Div Power - Girble - 14
[sblock=Girble's Notes]hp: 84 (1 temp, 75 normal)
AC: 28
Attack: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2
Grapple: +4[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Lord_Raven88

First Post
OOC: Lucas scans for any enemies, if he finds any he will activate his wand of MM, otherwise he'll go explore the new passage that has opened up.

JimAde

First Post
Girble tries to hurry safely down the rope ladder to confront the archers circling its base, but between trying to avoid arrows and climbing with only one hand, he misses a rung and crashes to the ground 15 feet below. He is surrounded by three bugbears with longbows, each about 10 feet away. He also sees a fourth who is, to all appearances, dancing nervously about in place with his hands hands over his mouth. "Having a tizzy" is the phrase that leaps incongruously to Girble's mind as he climbs to his feet.

Climb check against DC 10: Roll 10 -1 for Strength, -2 for climbing one handed. Girble falls and takes 3 points of damage.

Making an assumption for d20Dazza here:

Erethinol sees the halfling priest fall and leaps to his assistance. She drops down the ladder, barely touching it as she all but falls. Nevertheless, she lands nimbly at Girble's side. Glancing quickly around, she sees what Girble saw and also notes the cloud of dust and debris kicked up at one end of the tunnel by Donnybrook's fall. In the other direction, the tunnel continues beyond her range of sight.

Climb check 9 + 7 + 2 (Bull's Strength) - 2 (one handed) = 16 vs. Same DC as Girble (10). She makes it handily.

Sirius starts climbing down and estimates that between him and the ground is now about 25 feet. He can't see the bugbears yet because they form a circle outside his limited field of vision looking down the narrow shaft.

Lucas drops to the bottom of the shaft. Glancing quickly in the direction opposite the new opening, he barely sees several figures about 40 feet away. From their location he guesses it's his friends and probably several enemies, but it's impossible to tell who is who through all the dust and debris the bridge fall has kicked up. In fact he can't see much of anything other than Donnybrook.

The dust cloud is effectively a Fog Cloud spell (short duration though) Anyone within 5 feet has 20% concealment. Anyone farther away has total concealment.

Ok, let's get back to strict rounds. We'll keep the same initiative order which is:

Donnybrook 19+4-1(Enlarged) = 23
Bugbears = 20
Lucas 11+7 = 18
Ery 4+4 = 8 - Ery is in melee with one bugbear (see below) 10 feet from the others
Girble 2+5 = 7 - Girble is 10 feet from all the bugbears
Sirius 3+1 = 4 - Sirius can get to the floor with a quick climb roll (DC 10)

Donnybrook's action is to get to his feet.

Seeing their enemies so close, the bugbears all drop their bows and draw morningstars. One steps up and takes a swing at Erethinol, striking her a vicious blow that she is only partly able to avoid.

10 points of damage for Ery. Ouch!

The others cagily await the approach of the heroes.

Since they all had to spend a move action, none of the others can close. Only one was within a 5-foot step of Ery and none were that close to Girble.

Actions, please!

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble calls upon the power of Yondalla, making him stronger for a moment. He moves forward, ready to take hits from some of the bugbears.

ooc: activate Divine Vigor, move forward to 5' from Bugbears[sblock=Battle Notes]Spell/Effect - Target - Rounds Left
Bear's End - Ery - 81
Bull's Str - Ery - 82
Shield of Faith - Sirius - 45
Divine Shield - Girble - 34
Div Power - Girble - 13
Divine Vigor - Girble - 2
[sblock=Girble's Notes]hp: 91 (18 temp, 73 normal)
Speed: 20'
AC: 28
Attack: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2
Grapple: +4[/sblock][/sblock]

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery strikes a retalatory blow at the bugbear that just swatted her, blood seeping from the wound that the creature just inflicted on her.

Remove ads