Cave of the spiders - Newbie PbP GM

Lord_Raven88

First Post
"Darn it I can't make out head or tails of what going on, nevermind I'm sure my friends can handle a few bugbears" Lucas approaches the newly revealed opening and scans the inside for hostiles

JimAde

First Post
Lucas makes his way over the smashed wreckage of the bridge into the newly-revealed passage. He sees that it is actually just a short cave about 20 feet deep, with no apparent exits. He also sees several web-wrapped forms suspended from the ceiling. One or two of them twitch weakly, but most are still. But what siezes his attention is the biggest goblin he has ever seen. Taller than Lucas himself, and hideously disfigured, the creature raises its hands before it and shouts a spell Lucas recognizes before rushing up to the wizard.

Spellcraft check 7+17=24 to recognize Shocking Grasp. Of course the fat blue sparks trailing from its hand are a bit of a giveaway as well. :) The "Goblin" (almost certainly an aranea in hybrid form) is in melee range to Lucas, but can't attack this round because he cast the spell already.

Erethinol nimbly strikes at her bugbear foe, slashing him soundly across the arm, then skewering him straight through the gut!
Attack roll 11+10=21, hit, damage 5+5+1(Bull's Strength)=11, second attack 20! confirmatio roll 1 (bummer). Damage 7+5+1=13. 24 damage total. He's staggerd, but still on his feet.

Girble steps boldly forward and the waiting bugbears take swipes at him as he approaches. One misses badly, but the other scores a solid blow, rocking the little priest back on his heels. Girble shakes off the blow and returns it heartily.

One bugbear gets a big miss. The other hits for 9 points off your temporary HP. Girble's attack roll 18+13=31, big hit. Damage 4+2=6

The cave suddenly resounds with the impact of Sirius's boots as he drops from the ceiling and lands solidly ready to attack!

I gave you an untrained Tumble check (I know that's not normally allowed, but for this purpose I do allow it). Tumble check 19+1-5=15. Makes it! No damage from the fall.

Hate to do this but I have to run to a meeting! I'll post the bugbears' actions tonight.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Seeing the large goblin before him, Lucas can't hide the shock plain on his face shaking off his momentary confusion Lucas takes a step back, while still hold his wand in his left hand Lucas quickly cast a spell at the Aranea in disguise.

OOC: Lucas takes a 5' step back, and casts Scorching Ray (Defensivly DC17 Con +17 Ranged touch attack with 2 rays +7 to hit 4d8 damage each) at the Aranea, if Lucas is entitled to an AoO then he uses his Wand of MM.

Lucas' Stats[sblock]
AC 21 (10 +3 Dex +2 NA +6 Armour)
HP 37/37
Spells Cast upon Lucas
Darkvision
Greater Mage Armour
Stoneskin 10/adamantine absorbs 90 points of damage[/sblock]

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble is rocked by a good blow from a bugbear, but it does little to faze him. Raising his morningstar, he swings it toward his attacker.

ooc: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2

[sblock=Battle Notes]Spell/Effect - Target - Rounds Left
Bear's End - Ery - 80
Bull's Str - Ery - 81
Shield of Faith - Sirius - 44
Divine Shield - Girble - 33
Div Power - Girble - 12
Divine Vigor - Girble - 1
[sblock=Girble's Notes]hp: 82 (9 temp, 73 normal)
Speed: 20'
AC: 28
Attack: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2
Grapple: +4[/sblock][/sblock]

JimAde

First Post
The bugbears roar in rage (all except the odd one, who seems to be dancing from one foot to the other, tapping his fingertips together and saying the Goblin equivalent of "Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear"). They attack!

The two who attacked Girble do so again, but neither is able to connect with the cagey halfling.

Ery's wounded foe attacks as well but has no better luck.

Stupid dice... :)

Lucas takes a step back and fires two searing bolts of flame from his hands. Both bolts strikes the aranea squarely, and the bizarre creature shrieks in agony. It falls back flaming into the web-covered wall. As the thing slides to the floor, Lucas sees the webbing smolder for a moment, then burst into dancing flames that quickly begin to climb toward the enwrapped forms above!

[sblock]Attack rolls 18+7=25 hit, and 8+7=15 hit. Damage 13 and 18 = 31 total. Dead critter. There is a 5 foot section of wall on fire (the webbing anyway). Fire will spread in every direction each round.[/sblock]

Just to clarify here's our current initiative situation:

Donnybrook 23
Bugbears 20
Lucas 18 - Lucas has no opponent, but he is in a burning room full of helpless captives.
Fire Spreads 17
<<<<<WE are here. I assume Ery and Ferrix will attack bugbears, but I'll wait to make sure. >>>>
Ery 8 - Ery is in melee with one bugbear
Girble 2+5 = 7 - Girble is in melee with 2 bugbears
Sirius 3+1 = 4 - Sirius is 10 feet from all bugbears. That is, he can reach any one of them with a 5-foot move.

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius steps up and engages one of the bugbears, two if possible. Bringing his axe to bear on the situation with a happy glee.

OOC: If I can step up and threaten two that'd be great. +14/+9 Waraxe (1d10+10), if I drop one I'll try to hit another.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble continues his wailing--he intends to show he is a halfling to be feared!

ooc: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2

[sblock=Battle Notes]Spell/Effect - Target - Rounds Left
Bear's End - Ery - 79
Bull's Str - Ery - 80
Shield of Faith - Sirius - 43
Divine Shield - Girble - 32
Div Power - Girble - 11
[sblock=Girble's Notes]hp: 73 (73 normal, 0 temp)
AC: 28
Attack: Morningstar +13/+8, d6+2
Grapple: +4[/sblock][/sblock]

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Sending a brief mental summons to the entralled Bugbear Help me rescue the prisoners Lucas rushes over to webbed person closest to the fire and begins to cut the trapped individual free.

OOC:If there are no signs of life then Lucas will move on to the next person

JimAde

First Post
Ery feints the staggered bugbear out of position, then expertly skewers it through the throat. The guard falls without a sound.
[sblock]Attack rolls 5+15=15, miss, and a 20! Confirmation roll 18, crit! Damage rolls 7+6=13 + 2+6=8 for a total of 21 points of damage. Dead bugbear.[/sblock]
Girble continues his furious assault on the lightly-wounded bugbear. He strikes two more solid blows, teaching the big goblinoid not to under-estimate the small folk! The bugbear starts to give ground as the halfling's blows rain down on him.
[sblock]Attack rolls 15+13=28, hit and 18+8=26, hit. Damage rolls 4+2=6, 2+2=4, 10 damage. This bugbear has taken a total of 16 points of damage and is looking a little ragged.[/sblock]
Sirius sidles forward with a grin and with two quick swipes of his waraxe reminds the bugbear of why underground is no place to hide from a dwarf. The guard snarls in pain and rage, then stumbles backward, the fight clearly gone out of him.
[sblock]Attack rolls 16+14=30 and 17+9=26, both easy hits. Damage rolls 4+10=14 and 3+10=13 for 27 total. This is the first damage this bugbear has taken.[/sblock]
The bugbear is disabled! By the way Ferrix. Your character sheet shows 1d10+7 damage, but your last post says 1d10+10. What am I missing?

Donnybrook ducks his head and limps into the prison cave. Using his massive hands he tears down webbing, trying to prevent the fire from spreading to the captives. He manages to pull down some webbing but the fire has already spread past his "firebreak" on one side.
Dex check for Donnybrook to do this in time. His roll was good enough to basically prevent the fire spreading for one round, but it's still burning. He's bought a round of time.

The two remaining bugbears facing Sirius and Girble step back and flee! The one Sirius wounded is lagging badly, though.
Both bugbears take the Withdraw action and flee farther down the tunnel in the direction away from Lucas and Donnybrook. The one Sirius wounded is disabled and moves only 20 feet, but the other runs 40 feet. Sirius or Erethinol could just reach him with a Charge, but Girble can't catch him.

The last bugbear, who was acting so strangely, suddenly flashes a huge smile and shouts "Coming master!" He turns and runs off toward where Donnybrook crashed to the ground.

Using his dagger, Lucas deftly cuts loose the prisoner nearest the fire. A bedgraggled dwarf, his beard matted with webbing and his eyes rolling back in his head, tumbles out onto the ground and lands with a thud. As Lucas moves to the next captive, the dominated bugbear arrives and lays hold of the dwarf's feet to drag him from the burning cave.

Donnybrook 23
Bugbears 20
Lucas 18
Fire Spreads 17 (didn't spread this round because Donnybrook was fighting it)
<<<<<Again, we are here.>>>>
Ery 8 - Ery is 30 feet from the disabled fleeing bugbear, 50 feet from the other.
Girble 7 - Girble is 20 feet from the disabled fleeing bugbear, 40 feet from the other.
Sirius 4 - Sirius is 20 feet from the disabled fleeing bugbear, 40 feet from the other.

Remove ads